Re: Articles

Cleveland Guardians and MLB mixed up with sinking ship that is Bally Sports

Will Bally’s collapse hurt the Cleveland Guardians spending?

by Chad Porto

March 19, 2023 9 minutes ago

The Cleveland Guardians will be impacted by the collapse of Bally’s but how much?

The Cleveland Guardians’ payroll has been a subject of much debate since the late 1990s, ever since the Dolans bought the team. The Guardians have long been one of the more frugal teams in the league, in part due to how revenue sharing in the MLB works. Unlike the NBA and NFL, where there are things like revenue sharing, salary caps, and floors, baseball is still very much a sport where the rich get richer and the not-so-rich sell off their pieces eventually.

So teams like the Guardians end up having to rely on alternate revenue streams outside of ticket sales and merch to help bolster their payroll. For the Guardians, selling their television rights was a big get for them. It helped them significantly for years, and when Bally’s Sports, owned by Diamond Sports Group (via Sinclair Broadcasting), it was seen as a huge win for the Guards and other smaller market clubs.

But due to recent issues with Bally’s and their mounting debt, the regional cable company has filed for bankruptcy, putting many teams in the MLB, NBA, and NHL into serious jeopardy with no sure-fire way to view the product. MLB has said they’ll air in-market games for free for those affected, which according to sources will include the Guardians.

The lack of viewing options isn’t the worst part of the Guardians. With Bally’s likely not picking up the Guardians contract, this will affect their bottom line. One fan asked Cleveland.com writer Paul Hoynes just how badly this whole ordeal will affect the club and Hoynes, a long-time sports writer, believes there will be some issues for the club but that it won’t affect re-signing key players.
Hey, Hoynsie: What impact do you think the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports Group will have on the Guardians ability to extend contracts?

Hey, Mike: It does create uncertainty, which is not good for the organization. But I’ve heard that it won’t stop them from offering players contract extensions if that’s what they decide to do.
The Cleveland Guardians had to expect this

The Guardians are one of the best and brightest clubs in the game. They have a stellar front office and who have a great crop of guys who get paid to expect market trends. The rumors that Bally’s has been shuttering their doors have been going on for a while now, even before free agency.

So it would stand to reason the Guardians wouldn’t have made the moves they made over the last few months without a solid idea of what to expect, how it would affect them, and what they could do to help mitigate the losses. So the team should be fine going forward, and won’t have to cut payroll.

The team’s payroll may take a minor hit over the coming years, but the club should be fine in the long run.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

DAYAN FRIAS

Very poor Colombia in the Classic

Colombia's participation in the World Baseball Classic ended with more sorrow than glory for the result obtained; in four games he only won one.

March 17, 2023 - 4:41 AM

USA Colombia had a performance to forget in the World Baseball Classic, where they only managed one win against Mexico and three losses against Great Britain, Canada and the United States. The national team finished last in the standings and is forced to seek a place for the next World Cup in 2026 through the playoffs, since by not being in the top 12, they lost their direct advance to pool play.

They disappeared

Colombia went from more to less after the first game and the calls to step up on the offense disappeared, like Gio Urshela, who was subdued in the batter's box, without hits in 14 turns at bat. Another who did not hit anything was Harold Ramírez, who only had two hits in 15 at bats.

The only ones who came through were Óscar Mercado, Jorge Alfaro from Sinceleja.

Together, they combined with the Vaqueros Reynaldo 'Chencho' Rodríguez and Dayan Frías, who had timely hits.

On the mound you can only look to the work of starter Nabil Crismatt and closer Ronald Zúñiga, who had impeccable performances against Mexico.

Something happened?

Nabil Crismatt spoke after the elimination of Colombia and hinted at internal problems.

“We trust ourselves, many things happened and hopefully they can be fixed later. If it was my turn to pitch the next day, on the day off I would have done something to loosen up my arm, but everyone has their own preparation,” he said.

Added to the alleged problems were the absences of Édgar Rentería and Felipe Urueta, apparently due to differences with the staff of the Colombian National Team.

The reason for Colombia's setback, after the auspicious start with victory against Mexico, is a mixture of several things. Fundamentally the lack of hitting was very noticeable.

Colombia's offensive statistics in these three games are appalling. Let's look:

AVG: 0.190 (18/20)
OBP: 0.243 (18/20)
SLG: 0.280 (17/20)
OPS: .523 (17/20)
HITS: 18 (18/20)
BB: 7 (18/20)
SO 23 (15/20)

These collective statistics show Colombia always in the last places among the twenty teams in contention. The team fell into what is technically called a "Collective Slump." Questions that the coaching staff must answer.

As for the pitching, although it had its gaps, it observed a better performance at least in the games against Mexico and Canada. The numbers of the pitching staff were:

ERA: 5.33 (12/20)
BB: 15 (7/20)
SO: 27 (9/20)
WHIP: 1.52 (11/20)

Nothing spectacular but definitely more to show than what the offense did.

With those metrics, there isn't much the coaching staff could do. Any strategy, tactic or martingale is destroyed by this obvious fact. It is not a matter of defending the technical group, but the figures are compelling.

Circumstances made this a bad debut with the national team for the Cabrera brothers.

<

DAYAN FRÍAS: The great revelation of Colombia in the World Baseball Classic

March 19, 2023 14 hours ago

Colombia's performance in this 2023 World Classic left several problems:

1. Their performance at the last Classic was not improved upon.

2. It is not possible to qualify for the next event in 2026.

3. Columbia will have to enter a qualifying round before they can enter into pool play that so far it has not been disclosed.

Colombia has a lot of young talent, and one of those who has stood out the most is DAYAN FRÍAS who, at just 20 years old, stood out in a great way in this classic, being impeccable defensively and contributing to the team with timely hits. His offensive average was 231, contributing 3 hits in 12 at bats and driving in 2 runs.

DAYAN FRIAS BASES LOADED HIT
https://twitter.com/i/status/1635380447445405696

Frías since December was assigned to the Akron RubberDucks team, a Double A affiliate of the Cleveland Guardians organization.

“Dayan has several abilities that will help him reach the big leagues soon, we believe that by 2024 he could be in the majors.

He covers a lot of ground at short stop, he is quick on his feet one of the characteristics that a shortstop should have, he is a switch hitter, and he's very smart at playing baseball.” A source we consulted told us.

Colombia has had several shortstops in the Major Leagues, the first was Luis "EL Ñato" Ramírez, then Jackie Gutierrez, Orlando Cabrera and Edgar Rentería arrived, who were signed in that position, and none of them had the numbers that Dayan has had. in the minor leagues.

Great Britain shortstop Darnell Sweeney, left, tries to turn a double play as Colombia's Dayan Frias slides during the seventh inning of a World Baseball Classic game in Phoenix, Monday, March 13, 2023. Frias was forced out at second and Gustavo Campero reached first on the play.

<

SIDE NOTE - SERIES DEL CARIBE

Cleveland Guardians Prospect Report at the Serie del Caribe - Dayan Frias recap

Arthur Kinney

Feb 11

Dayan Frias (Colombia, IF): 9 GP, 6-32, 6 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 4 BB, 11 K, 1 Sac Bunt -

Frias played all nine games in the middle infield (7 at SS, 2 at 2B) of the Serie for Colombia (Vaqueros de Monteria), who finished fourth after yesterday’s 1-0 loss to Mexico (Caneros de Los Mochis) in yesterday’s Third Place game. All he had to show for all this playing time, however, was a .188/.278/.219 slash line with that middle number propped up by some solid plate discipline.

The highlight of his Serie was the middle three games of the tournament, during which he went a combined 5-for-12 with a double, four runs scored, and another driven in.

Given his late season struggled in the LPB, it is reasonable to wonder if Dayan is experiencing fatigue from an elongated season - one which won’t see a respite any time soon as minor league spring training and a return to Colombian colors for the World Baseball Cassic loom in the near future.

While Frias’ early-season LPB dominance and viral highlight-reel defensive play from the Caribbean Series point to a breakout summer of 2023 for him.

Here’s hoping it isn’t derailed by the toll of an almost never-ending season.

Knowing that they already had a guaranteed spot, the Colombians changed pitchers on several occasions. Díaz, Mejía and Acuña were in that position rotating. The best play that was experienced was carried out by Dayan Frías when he achieved a historic Triple Play in the fifth inning and that is rarely seen in baseball, Frias being one of the most important players for the Vaqueros.

DAYAN FRIAS TRIPLE PLAY CARIBBEAN SERIES
https://twitter.com/i/status/1623501851776761856

DAYAN FRIAS TREMENDOUS DIVING PLAY
https://twitter.com/i/status/1622776073753620484

<
Last edited by joez on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:14 am, edited 7 times in total.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Andres Gimenez Shines Despite Team Venezuela Being Eliminated From WBC

By Tommy Wild

updated 3/19/23

eam Venezuela and Andres Gimenez had their hopes of winning the World Baseball Classic come to an end on Saturday night as they were eliminated by Team U.S.A. This was one of the most entertaining baseball games I've seen in a while and amazing that it came on March 18.

Part of what made the game so exciting to watch was the impact that the Cleveland Guardians infielder had both on offense and defense. Gimenez didn't just shine in this game though. He's shown off his incredible talent during the entire tournament.

Guardians fans know Gimenez as their All-Star and Gold Glove second baseman who can more than flash some leather from time to time. But this tournament may have been the first time they really got a chance to watch him play shortstop, his native position.

After playing the last two seasons at second base, Gimenez moved over to the left side of the infield because it was his natural position and former MVP Jose Altuve was on the roster as well.

Let me tell you, boy, he didn't disappoint.

In the game where Venezuela would ultimately be eliminated, Gimenez single-handily saved a run in the fourth inning. He ate up a ball with the infield playing in that was hit as hard as a rocket.

ANDRES GIMENEZ SPARKLING PLAY AGAINS TEAM USA

https://youtu.be/l7SketN6GJs

Defense wasn't the only place where Gimenez was turning eyes in the tournament. He continued to produce in a big way on offense which carried over from his break-out year at the plate during the 2022 MLB season.

Gimenez had a slash line of .294/.368/.294 over the entire tournament. This included a massive RBI against Nicaragua that helped the team advance to the quarter-final.

ANDRES GIMENEZ BASE HIT VS TEAM USA

https://twitter.com/i/status/1635695450941534222

He finished Saturday night going 1-for-3 and even came around to score for Venezuela in their massive fourth inning. In the end, this wasn't enough for them to move on.

Gimenez will now return to Goodyear to pick up where he left off with the Guardians. Hopefully, that includes a contract extension on the table too!

<
-- Bob Feller

Antonetti on extension talks: 'I'm optimistic something will happen'

By Mandy Bell

March 19, 2023 59 minutes ago

GOODYEAR, Ariz. --

It’s the time of year when fans are ready to have all of their questions answered. Who will make the Opening Day roster? How long will the injured players be out? Which prospects are building the most excitement? And, sometimes most importantly, which players will receive contract extensions?

There’s no one better than Guardians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti to address all of these queries. While some things may take longer than just the short time that’s remaining in Spring Training to determine, the team usually likes to have all its contract discussions wrapped up by the start of the season. So, since this is the most pressing topic at the moment, let’s start there.

As expected, Antonetti wouldn’t reveal too much information about the progress he and the club have made with any of the likely extension candidates on the roster, but he at least seemed hopeful something would get done.

“I’ll be optimistic,” he said with a grin. “I’m optimistic something will happen. … Hopefully that optimism translates to reality.”

Antonetti wouldn’t specify how many players he’s optimistic about extending, but there are a handful who could fall into this category. Starters like Shane Bieber and Triston McKenzie quickly come to mind. Position players like Andrés Giménez, Steven Kwan or even Amed Rosario could also be negotiating. It wouldn’t be surprising to have more clarity on the situation over the next week.

From there, Antonetti addressed an array of roster questions prior to Cleveland’s 3-1 win over the Rockies at Goodyear Ballpark on Sunday. Let’s take a look at the highlights of the conversation:

The rotation

The skinny:

Aside from Bieber, the Guardians’ starters haven’t consistently seen positive results this spring. While Cactus League stats rarely matter, the team knows this is the point in camp that their pitchers should start to settle in.

The quote:

“Each guy’s working on different things in different outings and building up to a point. … But Triston’s had a couple of good outings. Zach [Plesac], it was great to see him [get into the seventh on Saturday]. Shane’s had really good outings. Aaron [Civale] actually has pitched well in terms of what we were seeking. His quality of stuff is back, the way he’s executing, his delivery, so hopefully they can continue to build in a good direction. Cal [Quantrill] has been hard to get a read on just because he hasn’t been here.”

The bullpen

The skinny:

There are two open spots in Cleveland’s bullpen now that Sam Hentges is recovering from shoulder inflammation. The Guardians have a handful of relievers left in camp to evaluate, but the team may also consider starters like Hunter Gaddis or Xzavion Curry to start the year in the ‘pen. Cleveland just has to determine if it’s worth committing to the idea that a starter wouldn’t get fully stretched out to open the year.

The quote:

“One of the things that’s really important is depth, and if you have a guy who you’re counting on being a starting option and we have him in a bullpen role for a month, it makes it really hard for that guy to be a starting option if we have that need. Those [are] types of conversations we’re having all the time, and we have to weigh a lot of factors. It’s not simply just, oh, who’s throwing the best at the end of camp and that will be the group that will inevitably be on the roster.”

The bench

The skinny:

The same question has remained all spring: Do the Guardians carry two extra outfielders and one infielder, or two infielders and one outfielder to fill their bench? It seems like the former is most likely. Infielders Gabriel Arias and Tyler Freeman and outfielders Will Brennan, Richie Palacios and Roman Quinn are fighting for three vacancies.

The quote:

If we have multiple players that have very similar skill sets, they can almost cannibalize at-bats from each other, versus if we have players with complementary skill sets that might be able to do different things, we might be able to find different opportunities for those guys to play. So, I do think that if Gabby or Tyler were on the team, we’d be able to get either guy a decent amount of at-bats because of their versatility and where they can play. If they’re both on the team, maybe that gets a little bit more complicated than somebody else that has a different skill set.”

<
-- Bob Feller

Lloyd: Guardians extension talk, roster battles and other random Arizona observations

Mar 13, 2023; Phoenix, Arizona, USA; Cleveland Guardians left fielder Steven Kwan (38) bats against the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at Camelback Ranch-Glendale. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
By Jason Lloyd
3h ago

Save Article
GOODYEAR, Ariz. — Random thoughts after my first few days in the crisp Arizona air at spring training …

1. As we enter the prime weeks for extensions to start getting announced with pre-arb and arbitration-eligible players, it sounds as if the Guardians could get something done with at least one of the plethora of extension candidates they have on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Steven Kwan, Triston McKenzie and Andrés Giménez would appear to be the most likely, and though Guardians team president Chris Antonetti wouldn’t get into specifics, he is optimistic something will get done with at least one player on the roster.

3. “Sure, I’ll be optimistic. How ’bout that?” Antonetti said Sunday with a coy smile. “I’m optimistic something will happen. I’ll be optimistic about somebody. Hopefully, that optimism translates to reality.”

4. When I tried asking whether more than one deal was possible, he said it was too hard to predict and asked if there was a betting line set for such things. I told him I’d be happy to let him set the line, so he set it at 6 and said he’d take the under. I countered, setting it at 1.5. Antonetti laughed but wouldn’t bite.

5. “I don’t bet,” he said.

6. Giménez and McKenzie are entering their final seasons before they’re arbitration-eligible. It might be now or never to get a long-term deal done with either. Kwan is still two years away. Others who qualify for extensions include Shane Bieber, Amed Rosario, Josh Naylor, Cal Quantrill, Aaron Civale, Zach Plesac, James Karinchak and Oscar Gonzalez.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER

MLB Contract Extension Week Tiers: Here's who should stay and who should test free agency

7. Antonetti doesn’t believe the mess surrounding Diamond Sports Group’s bankruptcy filing last week in Texas court will impact the Guardians’ ability to get deals done in the next couple of weeks with extension candidates, but he wouldn’t go into specifics about where the franchise stands in its payments from the cable broadcaster.

8. “I’m just not sure it’s super productive for me, given the complexity, I’m not sure it’s super productive for me to comment on,” Antonetti said. “Obviously, there’s a ton of uncertainty not just for us but the entirety of the league. And I think they’re in the process. They’re in regular communication. I know Paul (Dolan) was on conference calls multiple times per week to get periodic updates, but there’s just not a lot of clarity.”

ADVERTISEMENT

9. Angels owner Arte Moreno said in recent days that Diamond Sports is current with its payments to the Angels, but The Athletic’s Dan Kaplan confirmed Diamond missed its payment to the Diamondbacks. Diamond also reportedly missed its payment to the Padres.

10. It’s reasonable to believe Diamond might not be current with Cleveland, either, since the New York Post reported last week that Diamond was “expected to use the bankruptcy proceedings to reject the contracts of at least four teams to which it pays more in rights fees than it collects back through cable contracts and ads.” The Diamondbacks and Padres are two of those teams. The Guardians are another.

11. Nevertheless, Antonetti believes the financial implications won’t impact their short-term operation.

12. “I don’t think it’ll have an impact yet,” he said. “Now, depending upon how things play out, could it impact our longer-term outlook in our finances? There are worlds in which it could, but at the same time, it may not play out at all. So it’s just hard to forecast right now.”

13. Speaking of Kwan, I noticed over the weekend just how much he hugs the plate during at-bats. His toes are basically on the inside chalk line. He has consistently hit that close to the plate since high school. Kwan’s approach can tempt pitchers to be aggressive inside, but that’s exactly what he wants.

14. “I like hitting ‘in’ pitches, so it kind of baits them into it,” he said. “Kind of gives the illusion I don’t want them to throw it in. It also kind of dissuades them from throwing in because it either leaks over the middle or it hits me.”

Gabriel Arias has outplayed Tyler Freeman in Arizona and leads the team with a .351 batting average. (Rick Scuteri / USA Today)
15. It sounds as if either Tyler Freeman or Gabriel Arias will make the club as a utility player. There is a risk to promoting a top prospect and not playing them every day, but Antonetti is confident they could find enough at-bats for either to keep them in rhythm — but not both.

ADVERTISEMENT

16. “I think the way we would look at that is, what’s the composition of the bench?” Antonetti asked. “Because if we have multiple players that have very similar skill sets, they can almost, like, cannibalize at-bats from each other. Versus if we have players with complementary skill sets that might be able to do different things, we might be able to find more opportunities for those guys to play. So I do think that if Gabby or Tyler were on the team, we’d be able to get either guy a decent amount of at-bats because of their versatility and where they can play. If they’re both on the team, maybe that gets a little bit more complicated than somebody else who has a different skill set.”

17. Arias struggled at Columbus last year but has outplayed Freeman in Arizona. Arias’.351 average this spring leads the team, while Freeman entered Sunday’s game against Colorado batting .161. Both are naturally middle infielders who have added other positions to be more flexible. Arias has even experimented in the outfield this spring, although ultimately his future role might be as the heir apparent to Rosario at short.

18. “He’s doing a good job because he’s hitting the ball the other way,” manager Terry Francona said. “But defensively he’s maturing, too. Making some plays we’ve seen (Giménez) make.”

19. Francona was despondent over second-seeded Arizona’s stunning upset loss to No. 15 seed Princeton in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday.

20. It didn’t take long after the game for Guardians general manager Mike Chernoff, who played baseball at Princeton, to obtain some of his alma mater’s gear. Chernoff walked into the coach’s office wearing a Princeton shirt, and replay coordinator/staff assistant/Tito punching bag Mike Barnett walked in wearing a Princeton hat.

21. “(Francona) took out his frustration on Barney’s hair,” Antonetti said. “So he had patches missing again. … Barney may have deserved what he got, but it’s interesting that Tito didn’t shave Cherney’s head, though. We should ask him about that.”

Guardians roster projection 3.0: One last swing at the Opening Day squad
Sep 15, 2022; Cleveland, Ohio, USA; Cleveland Guardians starting pitcher Hunter Gaddis (70) delivers a pitch in the first inning against the Chicago White Sox at Progressive Field. Mandatory Credit: David Richard-USA TODAY Sports
By Zack Meisel
8h ago

Save Article

We’re about a week away from the Guardians breaking camp and heading to the Pacific Northwest, so let’s take one final swing at which 26 players might be boarding the team plane late in the afternoon on March 28.
Catchers (2)
Mike Zunino, Cam Gallagher

Bo Naylor, as expected, will start the season at Triple-A Columbus. He’ll likely be the club’s starter behind the plate a year from now, but Zunino will govern the position in 2023. That leaves Gallagher, Meibrys Viloria, Zack Collins and David Fry as Zunino’s backup candidates for Opening Day. The Guardians think highly of Gallagher’s ability to partner with pitchers and control the running game. Manager Terry Francona noted the club attempted to acquire him from the Royals several times in recent years.

Fry is the wild card of the group. He’s probably not experienced enough defensively to serve as Zunino’s backup on March 30, but if the Guardians want someone to fill a third catcher/corner infield type of utility role at some point, Fry’s the guy. His bat has never been in question. But would the team really add two new catchers to the 40-man roster? The Guardians already have Zunino, Naylor and Bryan Lavastida occupying spots. They wouldn’t carry five catchers on the 40-man, and four might even be a stretch. They optioned Lavastida to Triple A on Sunday.
Infielders (6)
José Ramírez, Amed Rosario, Andrés Giménez, Josh Naylor, Josh Bell, Gabriel Arias
Gabriel Arias (Rick Scuteri / USA Today)

Arias is the king of spring, once again flaunting extra-base-hit ability, speed and defensive versatility. In three big-league camps with Cleveland, he owns a .453 batting average (29-for-64). He’s had the inside track on the utility infielder job all along, and his third consecutive impressive spring showing should secure him a spot.

That could leave Tyler Freeman on the outside looking in, even though there’s not much left for him to showcase at Triple A. There just isn’t enough playing time for two backup infielders. Francona will have to get creative to find Arias sufficient at-bats as it is.
Outfielders (5)
Steven Kwan, Myles Straw, Oscar Gonzalez, Will Brennan, Richie Palacios

The three starters are set, so although Brennan is deserving of daily at-bats, he’ll have to wait his turn. One could reason, then, that it might make more sense to send him to Columbus, where he won’t be twiddling his thumbs on the bench. Or, he can log a day or two in center field and a day or two in right field each week.

Roman Quinn, in camp as a non-roster invitee, could offer some value with his speed and defense, but is that worth clearing a spot on the 40-man? Quinn has never been much of a threat at the plate, so there wouldn’t be an urge to carve out regular at-bats for him, whereas Brennan or Palacios need more playing time so the club can assess whether they can be regulars.

Palacios missed part of camp while playing for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic. He’s no stranger to a limited major-league bench gig, as he filled that role for the Guardians at times last season.
Starting pitchers (5)
Shane Bieber, Triston McKenzie, Cal Quantrill, Aaron Civale, Zach Plesac
Zach Plesac (Joe Camporeale / USA Today)

It’s the same, old story here. We know the five. This is no Agatha Christie mystery. But can this quintet emerge as another vaunted Cleveland rotation? Or will this group leave the front office searching for internal upgrades (and, come July, external upgrades)? Plesac delivered a strong start Saturday, limiting the Mariners to one run across 6 1/3 innings. Bieber topped him Sunday with a strong, seven-inning performance.
Relievers (8)
Emmanuel Clase, James Karinchak, Trevor Stephan, Nick Sandlin, Enyel De Los Santos, Eli Morgan, Tim Herrin, Hunter Gaddis

Though the club is encouraged by his progress — he could start to play catch this week — Sam Hentges is not expected to be ready for Opening Day, so there are two bullpen vacancies to fill. The team’s decision-makers think Herrin still needs to develop a bit, but he, like Hentges, is a big, hard-throwing lefty. He could seize a spot until Hentges returns.

The Guardians optioned Jason Bilous, claimed off waivers from the White Sox last month, to Triple A, leaving Herrin as the only reliever on the 40-man who wasn’t part of the bullpen last season. Bilous is slated to work as a multi-inning reliever in Columbus, where he’ll aim to sharpen his slider and changeup, though it’s fair to wonder if his grip on a 40-man spot is in jeopardy.

Cleveland could turn to one of its non-roster relievers — Michael Kelly, Luis Oviedo or Touki Toussaint, perhaps — or shift a starter to a temporary bullpen role. The Guardians’ starting pitching depth allows them to consider the latter maneuver, and that would satisfy their desire to carry another reliever who could throw multiple innings early in the season as starters adjust to the pitch clock (and, possibly, to tiring more rapidly as a result). They reassigned Phillip Diehl, Caleb Baragar and Dusten Knight on Sunday. Nick Mikolajchak, another option, suffered an arm injury.

Gaddis has had a decent spring, and his fastball should play up in a limited role. The Guardians would still have Logan Allen, Joey Cantillo, Konnor Pilkington, Peyton Battenfield and Xzavion Curry in their Triple-A rotation, with top prospects Gavin Williams and Tanner Bibee lurking like bloodthirsty sharks. This doesn’t have to be a permanent arrangement — someone might just be keeping the spot warm until Cody Morris returns from a lat injury — and Gaddis already being on the 40-man saves Cleveland some roster shuffling.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

MLB.com rates Guardians as No. 10 best lineup.

The 10th spot is always a wild card spot on this list. If the Angels have Mike Trout, Shoehei Ohtani and Anthony Rendon healthy all year, they better rank a heck of a lot higher than 25th in runs, where they finished last season. You could make arguments for the Mariners, Twins and maybe others to be here.

But look at the pesky young Guards weaseling their way into the top 10. They were decisively a middle-of-the-pack offense last year, ranked 15th in runs per game (4.31). But it’s not really a big leap from 15th to 10th, and I would argue that Cleveland can make it by drastically improving two positions (DH and catcher) where it ranked 29th in OPS last season (Bell and Naylor can now essentially share the 1B/DH at-bats). Bell and Zunino both bring needed power to the equation. Add a little muscle to a club that had the best contact rate (80.8%) and ranked fourth in FanGraphs’ Baserunning score (13.2) last year, and you’ve got the makings of a top 10 offense.

Guardians

Has Oscar Gonzalez’s hot streak eased concerns of Guardians’ fans? Hey, Hoynsie!

By Paul Hoynes

Updated: Mar. 25, 2023, 10:28 a.m.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. --

Do you have a question that you’d like to have answered in Hey, Hoynsie? Submit it here. You can also subscribe to Subtext here or text Hoynsie at 216-208-4346 for a two-week free trial.

Hey, Hoynsie: I am worried about Oscar Gonzalez’s production this spring. What do you think? -- Mitch Radosky, Poulsbo, Wa.

Hey, Mitch: I think spring training is a bad place to make judgments on a player. Gonzalez is hitting .233 (10 for 43) through 15 games, but he had seven hits in a five-game stretch through Friday. Gonzalez hit his first homer of the spring Thursday night against the Giants. Manager Terry Francona is happy because he hit it to the opposite (right) field.

Hey, Hoynsie: Other than the Guards’ pitching staff, have you seen any other things in spring training that concern you going into the season? -- Jim B., Independence.

Hey, Jim: It’s hard to judge pitching in spring training. The good thing about the rotation is that all five starters are healthy. The bullpen hasn’t been as fortunate with the injuries to Sam Hentges, Cody Morris and Nick Mikolajchak.

Until Thursday night when they scored 10 runs and hit three homers against San Francisco, the offense has been relatively quiet this spring. Then again when you look at the averages of Steven Kwan, Jose Ramirez, Josh Naylor, Gabriel Arias and Myles Straw they’re all hitting well above .300 entering the last five games of spring training.

The big additions to the offseason, Josh Bell and Mike Zunino, have looked like two veterans getting ready for the regular season. Bell has shown some big-time power.

Hey Hoynsie: How has Myles Straw been progressing in Goodyear? We know his glove is golden, but are there signs his bat will be more like 2021 instead of 2022? -- Matt, Seattle.

Hey, Matt: I’d say he’s doing well. He’s even hit a home run (Friday night vs. the Cubs), something he didn’t do all last season in over 500 at-bats.

Straw is hitting .357 (10 for 28) through 13 games this spring. Yes, the numbers don’t count, but that’s a good sign.

Over his last 30 regular-season games last year, he hit .308 (33 for 107). Combine that with his Cactus League numbers and the work he did at the Guardians’ swing camp over the winter and that’s encouraging.

Hey, Hoynsie: I heard it mentioned on your podcast that Mike Zunino’s injury recovery status is still uncertain. Can you elaborate please? -- Mike Barrett, Ashland.

Hey, Mike: I think Zunino is healthy. He’s caught 11 games this spring. His overall game might be rusty after appearing in only 36 games last season with the Rays before undergoing surgery on his left arm. That’s understandable.

The pitchers have enjoyed throwing to him.

Hey Hoynsie: Is there anything to the rumor the Guardians might trade Amed Rosario? -- Hank Greer, Charleston, SC.

Hey, Hank: I have not heard that rumor. I think Rosario is going to be Cleveland’s starting shortstop. Depending on what the Guards’ won-loss record is at the trading deadline, that could change because as of how Rosario will be a free agent at the end of the season.

Hey, Hoynsie: Do you think Micah Pries starts the season at Class AA Akron or Class AAA Columbus? I think he has potential and I’m pulling for the guy. -- Steve, Surf City, NC.

Hey, Steve: Pries had a great spring and Francona told him to go to the minors and “knock the door down.” He’s not on the 40-man roster so he may have to start the year at Akron again.

The fact that he can play first base, left and right field will help him, but Jhonkensy Noel might be blocking him at Triple-A.

Hey, Hoynsie: What do you think about David Fry making the team? He gives Francona different options when pinch hitting for our weak-hitting catchers and extra protection when Josh Naylor is facing a tough lefty -- Baseball Fan, Bronx, N.Y.

Hey, Base: Fry has played well this spring, but he’s been told he won’t make the final 26-man roster.

Hey, Hoynsie: What’s the new ticket plan the Guardians just announced and how does it work? -- Dave, Chicago.

Hey, Dave: The Guards are offering a monthly pass of standing-room-only tickets for $49 for every home game. It will include opening day, which has already been announced as a sellout, on April 7 against Seattle.

Tickets are good for the Home Run Porch in left field, Heritage Park in center field, The Corner Bar in right field and drinking rails in left and right field. For details go to CLEGuardians.com/BallparkPass.

Hey, Hoynsie: Have you heard anything about Jason Kipnis being added to the radio team? He did a great job on the spring training game he did. -- Skip B, Broadview Heights.

Hey, Skip: I’ve heard Kipnis may drop in on a few broadcasts this year. He’s involved in the restaurant business, but it sounds like he’d like to stay as close to the game as he can.

Bally Sports has added former Indians Pat Tabler, Chris Gimenez and Ellis Burks to their lineup for Guardians’ games.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians May Have Avoided Major Injury Scare

BY TOMMY WILD SPORTS ILLUSTRATED CLEVELAND GUARDIANS NEWS

ANALYSIS AND MORE

UPDATED MARCH 25, 2023 11:56 AM

The Cleveland Guardians are hopeful that Gabriel Arias' hand injury is not as serious as initially thought. Everything was going well for the Cleveland Guardians on Friday night as they were playing the Chicago Cubs. Jose Ramirez and Josh Bell hit back-to-back home runs for the first time this season and Myles Straw even got into one for his first homer in over a full calendar year. But then disaster struck as Gabriel Arias was at the plate causing all Guardians fans to hold their breath.

The super utility player, who's already been told he'll be on the Big League roster, was hit in the hand by the pitch and the immediate aftermath was not good. Cleveland's trainer came rushing out and assisted Arias as the 23-year-old left the game. While the initial injury looked bad on the field, there is some reason to let out a sigh of relief.

Reports say that the Guardians were encouraged by the initial tests and that he avoided a major injury. Right now it's just being called a contusion. Arias has had an incredible season and is poised to have a breakout year in 2023. He's slashing .333/.378/.405 with three doubles and three RBI. On the defensive side, he's played all the field which could force Terry Francona to find him a full-time spot in the lineup if his bat continues to go.

If Arias' injury turns out to be worse than previously thought, it's likely that Tyler Freeman would be the first man called up out of Columbus as it was between him and Arias for the final infield spot on the roster.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians

Desert fever: Guardians’ pitchers and interpreters were ready to bat vs. Cubs

By Paul Hoynes

Updated: Mar. 25, 2023, 3:02 p.m.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. --

On Friday the Guardians’ final 26-man roster was two players short of complete.

Right-hander Hunter Gaddis and left-hander Tim Herrin had already been named to the last two spots in the bullpen. Decisions still had to be made on the backup catcher and fifth outfielder.

Manager Terry Francona knew the players involved in those last two competitions were itching to know. Were they on the big-league club? Would they be released? Or would they be sent to the minors?

They had to make plans for the season. Call their families and agents. Figure out where they’d be playing for the next six months.

As a player Francona had been in the same position. He told them he’d let them know as soon as possible.

After Friday night’s 5-3 win over the Cubs at Goodyear Ballpark, Francona wouldn’t tell reporters who filled the last two spots, but it sounded like decisions had been made.

Otherwise, why did right-hander Aaron Pinto pinch-hit to start the seventh inning? If you haven’t heard by now, MLB adopted the universal DH last year. Pitchers are no longer required to bat no matter what league they pitch in.

And why was Agustin Rivero, the team interpreter and jack-of-all-trades, in the on-deck circle swinging a bat in the eighth inning?

“We were kind of up against it,” said Francona. “We talked to some players before the game. Then we thought we could get some minor league kids, and they’d already left for the day.

“It figures the one day something happens. . .”

In other words, the Guardians were running out of players. When a player gets told he’s been sent to the minors, he gets a couple of days off to collect himself.

Friday’s game started to turn toward the unusual when Gabriel Arias was hit in the right hand by a pitch in the sixth. He had just entered the game at shortstop and probably would have finished the game there.

Arias had to leave to get tests on the hand -- a scan came back negative -- and minor leaguer Rafael Ramirez finished his at-bat. By that time the drain on Francona’s bench had already started.

Oscar Gonzalez, Andres Gimenez and Meibrys Viloria started the sixth with singles. Gonzalez and Gimenez were replaced by pinch runners. Viloria had just entered the game, replacing Mike Zunino at catcher. Will Brennan, who just replaced Steven Kwan in left field, singled as well in the inning.

Francona probably wouldn’t have let Pinto pinch hit for Josh Naylor if the inning reached the DH spot with the bases loaded. Minor leaguer Junior Sanquintin took that decision out of his hands by striking out in front of Naylor’s spot to end the inning.

But when the seventh inning opened, Pinto was the Guardians’ new DH, hitting leadoff. He went to the plate with a specific set of instructions.

“I told him to stand at the edge of the box and don’t you dare swing,” said Francona. “That poor kid, I said, “Do you know our signs?’ He said, no.”

Pinto did as he was told, taking three pitches down the middle from Al Leiter Jr.

By the time Rivero walked to the on-deck circle wearing No. 98 in the eighth, the Guardians had a 5-3 lead. There were two on and two out. Rivero never got any closer as Sanquintin struck out for the second straight time to end the inning.

Asked how disappointing it was to see Rivero, who played for the Yankees in the minors, not get an at-bat, Francona smiled and said, “Well, I might have been fined by the league, but it would have been well worth it.”

Spring training is almost over. Francona and his players have been in Arizona since Feb. 14. Desert fever crept into their souls a while ago.

But an at-bat is still an at-bat. It carries weight. As Rivero gathered his equipment in the dugout after the game, he looked at the reporters circling Francona and held his thumb and index finger less than an inch apart.

He almost made it.

It would have been Rivero’s first at-bat in a professional game since the Dominican Summer League in 2006.

<
-- Bob Feller

USA TODAY Sports

Cleveland Guardians' Josh Bell: 'We Can Go All the Way' in 2023

By Jack Vita

Last updated 3/25/23

After signing a two-year, $33 million contract with the Cleveland Guardians in December, first baseman Josh Bell has high hopes for his new club in 2023.

"The sky's the limit for this team," Bell said. "The way that we play — the emphasis on base-running and playing the game the right way — and as good as our bullpen is and our starting pitchers are, I think that we can go all the way."

The Guardians greatly impressed in 2022. The Chicago White Sox entered the season as heavy favorites to repeat as American League Central division champions, while many around the sport expected 2022 to be a transitional year for Cleveland. The Guardians, powered by the youngest roster in the big leagues, finished the season 92-70, 11 games better than the White Sox and good for their fourth AL Central title since 2016. The Guardians went up 2-1 in the ALDS, but ended up falling to the New York Yankees in five games.

After finishing the season 46-26 and adding power bats Mike Zunino and Bell, the Guardians feel that they can take the next step in 2023.

"I think we’re pretty much the same team as last year," pitcher Triston McKenzie said. "I think having Josh Bell here is definitely going to help. I think having Zunino is definitely going to help too. I think it’s kind of just going out there with the same mindset and keep the guys in the ballgame. We won a lot of ballgames just by staying in it last year... I definitely think [having Zunino and Bell] will help us just put more runs on the board and keep us out of those long, extra inning games. We might be able to conserve some of our pitching."

With a lineup full of contact hitters, the Guardians scored 698 runs in 2022, tying with the Colorado Rockies for 15th among Major League teams. The Guardians finished 29th in home runs, however, with 127 long balls. The acquisitions of Bell and Zunino should add a little more thump to their lineup, which could propel the Guardians into the top third of Major League Baseball in offensive output.

Zunino smashed 25 home runs in 2017, 20 in 2018 and a career-high 33 in 2021. After playing just 36 games last season due to thoracic outlet syndrome, Zunino hopes to bounce back in 2023 with his new club.

Bell won a Silver Slugger Award in 2022, which proved to be a tale of two seasons. Bell played like an All-Star over the first four months of the season with the Washington Nationals, slashing .301/.384/.877 with 14 home runs and 57 RBI. In August, Bell was included in the Juan Soto blockbuster deal, which sent him to the San Diego Padres. In two months in San Diego, Bell slashed just .192/.316/.587 with three home runs and 14 RBI.

Bell has showcased his power-hitting ability throughout his Major League career, from the time he made his debut in 2016 with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Bell's power numbers, however, have been a bit inconsistent. He mashed 26 dingers in 2017, then saw a dip in 2018 when he hit just 12, while playing 148 games. Bell hit a career-high 37 bombs in 2019, and tallied 27 in 2021. In 2022, he hit 17 home runs between the Padres and Nationals.

Bell believes that two keys to the Guardians achieving success in 2023 will be health, and getting off to a good start.

"It depends on whether or not we can stay healthy," Bell said. "It depends on how quickly we can get going. I know we’re going to get hot, it’s just a matter of when and how long we can sustain that but I think this type of baseball that we play is kind of slump-proof. It’s not all-or-nothing with the homers and whatnot. You got guys going from first to third. You got guys stealing bases. You got a lot of guys that have a high On Base Percentage and that can run, so hopefully I can add to that.”

The Guardians' style of play was attractive to Bell, when the club was courting him as a free agent. As baseball has shifted into a game of three true outcomes — home runs, strikeouts and walks — the Guardians have zigged while the rest of Major League Baseball has zagged.

The Guardians put together a young, electrifying team full of contact hitters, outstanding baserunners and terrific fielders, as evidenced by the club having four players — Andres Gimenez, Steven Kwan, Myles Straw and Shane Bieber — win Gold Glove Awards last year. The Guardians did this at a time when more and more teams are putting an emphasis on power-hitting, and neglecting the essence of speed on the base paths.

"I feel like a lot of teams would like to think that they’re promoting the same level of baseball," Bell said. "But when you got guys like Jose who’s [our] team leader legging out hustle doubles, stealing bases, running in outfielders' faces, it kind of sets a standard. So it’s one thing for the coaching staff to preach but when you’ve got players like him and (Amed) Rosario buying in, you get the younger guys getting called up and they just fit in, just trying to play up to their level so it’s working really well just because of the pieces that we have here. So it’s awesome to see.”

Another reason why Bell chose Cleveland was because it wasn't far from where his wife grew up.

"Obviously I went into this offseason being a free agent," Bell said. "I got some phone calls from different teams, but Cleveland was the first team. My wife is from about an hour away so once the numbers were sent across and I was comfortable with my opportunity here, it was awesome to see the look on my wife’s face when I told her everything was a done deal, so that coupled with being able to play for Tito, being able to come to a squad who played really well last year, has had a really good track record, is ready to compete right now and is really hungry for something more this postseason, I think it was just a perfect storm.”

Even after the success they found last year, the Guardians haven't generated the same kind of buzz other teams in the American League have, entering the season. The Guardians have the sixth-lowest betting odds to win the American League, at +1400, courtesy of Bet Rivers Casino. Despite being one of the last four teams remaining in the American League playoffs last fall, the Guardians are behind the Houston Astros (+300), New York Yankees (+300), Toronto Blue Jays (+600), Seattle Mariners (+850) and Tampa Bay Rays (+1100).

"As much as I think we got a lot better (from last season), I don't know if people see us as a much better team or have very high expectations for us again," McKenzie said. "So I think we're coming out here and trying to prove ourselves again.

“I think it’s just a divisional thing and they see the divisions and immediately assume that we’re a weaker team because we’re in a weaker division, but I think when we go out there and we play against those teams, you see the talent level and you see us competing. So, I think at the end of the day, that’s all that matters.”

When asked, Guardians manager Terry Francona did not seem to care about where the national media projects his team to finish the season.

"It doesn't really matter," Francona said. "What matters is how we play baseball... That doesn't enter into who we are, nor should it."

Bell is just excited to be a part of the Guardians and hopes to help the club reach new heights in 2023.

“Hopefully I can bring a little bit of pop," Bell said. "Hopefully I can be out there every day. I think my resiliency is big. That’s something I’ve been priding myself on for a long time. Hopefully I can be out there every day and slug a little bit and see what happens.”

The Guardians will play two more Cactus League games Saturday and Sunday, then a pair of exhibition games against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field Monday and Tuesday, before opening the season in Seattle against the Mariners on Thursday.
-- Bob Feller

Cleveland Guardians will carry three catchers on opening day roster -- for now

By Paul Hoynes

Updated: Mar. 25, 2023, 9:19 p.m.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. --

The most unique part of what for today will serve as the Guardians’ opening day roster features three catchers -- Mike Zunino, Cam Gallagher and Meibrys Viloria.

It could change, of course, if Cleveland makes a trade or a waiver claim before the season opens on Thursday in Seattle.

[ I don't have a subscription for the rest of this article, but in my opinion, selecting Meibrys Viloria is a good choice. He's a very good defensive catcher. I followed him through winter ball where he had a very good season.

In the WBC he didn't get a lot of reps but when he did made solid contact. In a 3-2 loss against the USA, Colombia loaded the bases against Merrill Kelly on a walk by C Jorge Alfaro, single by DH Meibrys Viloria and walk by LF Jesús Marriaga but Kelly got 2B Fabián Pertuz to pop up and SS Dayan Frías on a grounder.

Against the United Kingdom, After blowing leads the last two games, Great Britain gets their first WBC win in comeback fashion. Colombia got to Tyler Viza in the second. Catcher Meibrys Viloria reached on a one-out, two-base error by SS Darnell Sweeney and advanced on a grounder by 2B Jordan Díaz. CF Oscar Mercado singled in Viloria. In the 4th, Viza walked Viloria, Díaz and Mercado. Graham Spraker took over then SS Dayan Frías (the #9 hitter) singled in a pair. ]

Baseball America:

Career 2,168 AB .266 AVG .352 OBP .387 SLG 40 HR.

A defensive first catcher. A plus arm with a quick release. He's bi-lingual and knows how to call games. He has a good feel for hitting with good hands and good bat speed. He has above average raw power. Gap to gap line drive hitter because his swing is naturally geared to hit to all fields. A tough player who plays the game with passion. Noted for his strong makeup and good catch and throw skills. His advanced catch and throw make a big league future fairly certain.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians Make Shocking Decision As They Establish Opening Day Roster

BY TOMMY WILD SPORTS ILLUSTRATED CLEVELAND GUARDIANS

NEWS, ANALYSIS AND MORE

UPDATED MARCH 25, 2023 6:12 PM

The Cleveland Guardians finalize Opening Day roster. The Cleveland Guardians have their roster for the start of the 2023 season, unless any unforeseen moves, signings, or trades happen. The team will be very similar to way it ended last season, with some minor adjustments. This is the squad that the Guardians will have as they start the season against the Mariners.

INFIELDERS
Josh Bell
Josh Naylor
Andres Gimenez
med Rosario
Jose Ramirez
Gabriel Arias

CATCHERS
Mike Zunino
Cam Gallagher
Meibrys Viloria

STARTERS
Shane Bieber
Triston McKenzie
Cal Quantrill
Aaron Civale
Zach Plesac

RELIEVERS
Emmanuel Clase
James Karinchak
Trevor Stephan
Enyel De Los Santos
Nick Sandlin
Eli Morgan
Hunter Gaddis
Tim Herrin

The real shocker here is that the team opted to carry three catchers instead of just two and adding another outfielder. However, there's a method to the madness.

The Guardians reportedly hope that with carrying three catchers, they'll be able to have more pinch hitting flexibility. This will allow Brennan and Arias to each get more plate appearances.

If this is the case, then I think it's genius and am all for it.

The last two names who were fighting for a playoff spot were Richie Palacios and Roman Quinn. Palacios was optioned to Triple-A and Quinn was reassigned to minor league camp. However, Quinn's contract allows him to sign with another team if given a 40-man roster spot.

There's always a chance that minor moves are made, but for now this is it. This will be the team that will take on the Seattle Mariners to start the season on Thursday night at 10:10 EST.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians, Amed Rosario Have Discussed Contract Extension

By Mark Polishuk | Major League Trade Rumors

March 26, 2023 at 1:46pm CDT

Amed Rosario is scheduled to hit free agency after the 2023 season, but the Guardians have some interest in retaining his services over a longer term, as Rosario told The Athletic’s Zack Meisel (Twitter link) and other reporters that the club has touched base with his agents at Octagon about a possible contract extension. Rosario isn’t considering Opening Day as a deadline for talks, but he isn’t sure if a deal will be reached.

While the Guardians have commonly pursued and reached extensions over the years, the team has generally pursued multi-year deals with younger players who are either early in their arbitration eligibility or are still in the pre-arb phase of their careers. Recent examples include the extensions Cleveland reached with Emmanuel Clase and Myles Straw just under a year ago, as both deals saw the Guards gain cost-certainty over the players’ arbitration years and also gain control over free agent years, whether via guaranteed years or via club options. Of course, the Guardians also signed the biggest contract in team history with their extension with Jose Ramirez last spring, but that deal is something of an outlier considering both Ramirez’s superstar status, his specific desire to remain in Cleveland, and his willingness to take a below-market price.

In short, it would represent a departure from Cleveland’s usual tactics if they locked up a player like Rosario, who is a little older (though he’ll only be 28 on Opening Day 2024) than their normal extension targets, and is also on the verge of free agency. Rosario and his camp are surely also weighing the Guardians’ offers against the wider market as a whole, since if Rosario can even just replicate his 2022 numbers, he’ll be one of the better options available in a free agent class that isn’t terribly deep in position players.

Once one of baseball’s top prospects during his days in the Mets farm system, Rosario hasn’t yet risen to those lofty expectations, yet he has become a solid everyday player over his two seasons in Cleveland. Rosario’s inconsistency in New York led the Mets to move him as part of the blockbuster trade that brought Francisco Lindor and Carlos Carrasco to Queens, while also giving Cleveland some major payroll savings and two new middle-infield building blocks in Rosario and Andres Gimenez.

It is a deal that has worked out very nicely for the Guardians, considering how Gimenez broke out with one of the best all-around seasons of any player in 2022. Rosario’s contributions have also been quite respectable, as he has produced 2.4 fWAR in each of his two seasons in Cleveland, hitting .282/.316/.406 over 1258 plate appearances for a 101 wRC+. His glovework at shortstop is more of a mixed bag depending on your defensive metric of choice, but at least in the view of Defensive Runs Saved and UZR/150, his fielding was strongly above-average in 2022. Rosario also has some experience as a left fielder and center fielder, though his defense has been mediocre over his small sample size of 171 1/3 innings on the grass.

Given the Guardians’ penchant for trading players as they become too expensive, Rosario has been the subject of trade rumors almost since the moment he joined the organization, as there was even speculation Cleveland might flip him soon after the Mets deal. However, even with Rosario’s rising price tag and the number of promising young middle infield prospects in the Guards farm system, the front office has held off on a trade, and now might revert course entirely by extending Rosario beyond 2023. A midseason trade might still be possible if the Guardians were to fall out of the postseason race, or if the team becomes confident enough in its young depth options that it moves Rosario while also acting as deadline buyers in pursuit of another deep playoff run.

The ripple effects of a Rosario extension could include an increased willingness by the Guardians to move one or two of those prospects to address other needs, if the club is indeed eyeing Rosario and Gimenez as the long-term answer up the middle. Gimenez is under team control through the 2026 season and might be an extension candidate himself, so it doesn’t seem likely that the Guards would pivot to exploring a Gimenez trade if they locked up Rosario.

In terms of available payroll space, the Guardians don’t have much in the way of future commitments, but the team’s traditionally limited spending is itself an obstacle. Prior to Ramirez’s extension, Cleveland had never spent more than $60MM (Edwin Encarnacion) on a player, and it would seem like the team would have to spend well in excess of that number to cover multiple free agent years of a shortstop entering his age-28 season. Rosario told Meisel and company that he likes playing for the Guardians, though it isn’t known if he would be open to taking anything close to the relative hometown discount that Ramirez gave the team in his extension.

<
-- Bob Feller