Re: Articles

I know he doesn't have stuff that wows you, but simply every opportunity he has gotten he has looked great. 4.1 shutout innings in a very high stress ALCS game. Then went 3-0 with a 1.71 ERA in 5 games last year in regular season.

So many teams need pitching, and so many small market teams need cheap young pitching, that I can't believe someone wouldn't take a chance on him.

Maybe Indians are holding out for something more, but eventually they have to move him.

I imagine Indians would like to hang onto to him for the same reasons you cite. He and Belisle seem the most likely to win the last spot in the bullpen at least until Salazar decides to get in shape. then someone else is likely to go on the DL. I can see them working Merritt into the roster with their typical creative roster management. He might just happen to suffer an injury at an opportune moment or two as things move along and need some AAA rehab too

I prefer to keep one long reliever in the bullpen. A guy who can come in when starter gets shelled early. A guy who can spot start when a DH'er pops up. And if he is a lefty he could come in and get 1 or 2 thirds of an inning every now and then against some lefties in the 6th inning or something.

Thing is I haven't been talking about keeping him and using him in that regard because Tito just doesn't seem to want one. He always has a big bullpen but rarely has a long reliever among them.

Maybe he will this year?

Lonnie says he's grown up. And he hasn't burglarized a dorm room in a decade

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- When Lonnie Chisenhall strolls through the Indians' clubhouse in the morning, he often is carrying a bat in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. There are pictures his young sons have drawn for him taped above his locker. It is no wonder Chisenhall's teammates jokingly call him an old man.

"I call it maturity," Chisenhall quipped. Exactly what an old man would say.

As far as the Indians are concerned, it has been Chisenhall's maturation on the baseball field that is most important. Gone are the inclinations of a first-round Draft pick. The game humbled Chisenhall years ago. The big leagues have a way of doing that to players who climb quickly via raw talent. He is smarter now about hitting, willing to run out to any position and focused on winning a ring with the only organization he has known.

At the outset of Spring Training, that was Chisenhall's message in his one-on-one meeting with manager Terry Francona. This might very well be the outfielder's final season in an Indians uniform, and winning the World Series is the only goal. So whatever Francona asks of Chisenhall, he will oblige.

Would Chisenhall have had that same attitude when he was a rookie?

"He was a stubborn guy," Chisenhall said of his younger self with a smile. "I'm still stubborn now. But you come up in two and a half years in the Minors, and you're 22 years old, you can't tell many 22-year-olds anything. That was seven years ago. I'm excited about how I've grown and what it's evolved into, and to see the organization grow as a whole."

Chisenhall will turn 30 in October, when he hopes to be embarking on another postseason run with the Indians. He was quick to note that Cleveland nearly reached the World Series in 2007, leading to him being selected with the 29th pick in the MLB Draft in the following summer. Chisenhall was in the Majors by 2011 and was a part of the '12 team that lost 94 games.

Over the past five years, Chisenhall has endured career ups and downs, while Cleveland has developed into an annual contender. He came up as a third baseman, dealt with multiple trips back to the Minor Leagues, converted to the outfield in '15 and embraced a platoon-type role under Francona. At every turn, Chisenhall learned to accept his place as a piece of the larger puzzle.

"The things that happened throughout my career were probably the best things that could've happened," Chisenhall said. "Getting sent down in '13. Not making the team in '12. Getting sent down in '15. Struggling at times, where I didn't make my adjustments fast enough. I wasn't mature enough to understand what I was actually doing. All that made me the player I am today."

Today, Chisenhall projects to be the main right fielder for the Indians, and it is possible that the platoon label might be peeled off a little more. Last season, Chisenhall performed well against both lefties (.967 OPS in 60 plate appearances) and righties (.857 OPS in 210 plate appearances) and was in the midst of a career year before injuries got in the way.

Overall, Chisenhall posted a .288/.360/.521 slash line in 82 games, in which he launched 12 home runs in 270 plate appearances. That fell one shy of his career mark for homers (13 in 533 PAs in '14). Chisenhall had a 129 Weighted Runs Created Plus, meaning he was 29 percent above average offensively. The only thing that held Chisenhall back was health.

"That was his best year by far," Francona said. "He was just on fire. When we lost him, it hurt us."

Chisenhall is healthy again, and the old man is motivated. "It could be my last year here," Chisenhall said. "I'd hate to not end it on a good note. So, we're coming in focused on winning the final game of the season. That's going to be a big talk and it's going to be an outward focus as a team. If we do things right collectively, we'll be fine."

THIS is what makes our Indians go that extra level - Tito!

Terry Francona preaches 'winning baseball' and Cleveland Indians have been listening
Updated Mar 10, 5:47 PM; Posted Mar 10, 2:54 PM

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.comphoynes@cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - This is a statistic you've probably heard before. The Indians, over the last five years, have won more games than any team in the American League.

Peter Gammons, the Hall of Fame baseball writer, pointed that out recently along with this appetizer. In the last five years, the Indians have won 22 more games than the Boston Red Sox, while paying $414 million less in payroll. It says a lot about the baseball operations department that owner Paul Dolan has allowed Chris Antonetti and Mike Chernoff to put together.

It says just as much about the guy in the manager's office - Terry Francona.

On Friday, Francona was talking to reporters in Goodyear, Ariz., about players understanding "winning baseball."

The path to the big leagues, unless you're Mike Trout, is rarely easy. When a player finally gets there, he's thinking mostly about "how do I stay here long enough to take care of myself and my family?" Winning, understandably, may take a back seat during the early stages of a player's career.

Francona understands that. He also understands "some players never get it. That's just the way it is."

Since Francona became manager of the Indians in 2013, more players have gotten his message than missed it.

"Everyone wants to win, but the hope is that you get to a point in your career where you're showing up and saying our job is to win today," said Francona. "When players understand that it makes their job easier as opposed to harder. Because when you're hanging your hat just on getting hits, man, it's a tough league.

"So if you can hang your hat on saying 'I've got to do something to help our team win.' If you can back up a base, make a throw, there are more things to hang your hat to show you're helping your ballclub."

Here are a few examples:

Justin Masterson was the Indians' ace in 2013. On Sept. 2, with the Indians chasing a wild card spot, he strained an oblique muscle in a start against Baltimore. He should have been out for the year, but just over three weeks later he made three appearances out of the bullpen to help the Indians win a wild card spot for their first postseason appearance since 2007.

On July 19, 2016, the Indians were on the verge of winning a then-franchise record 14 straight games except for one thing - they were out of pitchers. They were tied with Toronto, 1-1, after 14 innings. Trevor Bauer, the next day's scheduled starter, came on in the 15th inning and pitched five scoreless in a 2-1 win thanks to Carlos Santana's homer in the 19th.

The Indians won the AL Central in 2016, but lost starters Danny Salazar and Carlos Carrasco to injuries in September. In the ALCS, Bauer went down with a sliced little finger on his pitching hand caused by one of his drones.
Down to two starters, Corey Kluber and Josh Tomlin, Francona unleashed a bullpen led by Andrew Miller and Cody Allen and the Indians reached Game 7 of the World Series before losing to the Cubs. Miller went 2-0 with one save. He pitched the second most innings on the team (19.1) and struck out 30 batters. The opposition hit .179 against him.

Allen pitched the fourth most innings of any Tribe pitcher (13.2). He converted six straight saves, struck out 24 and didn't allow a run in 10 postseason appearances. The opposition hit .163 against him.

Jose Ramirez, in 2016, played left field, third base, second and short. He never complained, he just kept playing and putting up big numbers. Last year he went to the All-Star Game as the A.L.'s starting third baseman, but still played 65 games at second for injured Jason Kipnis. This spring he said, "I don't care where I play. I'll catch if they want me to. I just want to do my best and help the team."

Last year when Kipnis came off the disabled list in September, Ramirez had taken his job at second base, but the Indians needed someone to replace injured Bradley Zimmer in center. Kipnis made the move despite not having played the outfield since 2009. In August of last season, the Indians acquired Jay Bruce from the Mets to play right field. Lonnie Chisenhall, struggling with a calf injury, made way for Bruce by saying he'd play any position to help the team.

The Indians are favored to win their third straight AL Central title, but little is certain in baseball. But to accomplish what they have in the last five years has taken front-office smarts and on-the-field talent. But that's not all.

"You need guys who are outwardly focused and put the team first," said Chisenhall, the Tribe's No.1 pick in 2008. "That's what makes the team go. ... It takes a lot to build what we have here and they've done a great job putting it together."
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- It would have required a keen eye to notice, but the Indians unveiled a subtle strategy earlier this week during Josh Tomlin's start against the Dodgers.

In the second inning of Thursday's 4-1 win over Los Angeles, while Matt Kemp was on first and Chase Utley was batting, Indians first baseman Edwin Encarnacion played behind the runner rather than holding him close. Tribe manager Terry Francona believes that alignment could create some incremental advantages for his team during Tomlin's starts this season.

"It's not so much an experiment," Francona explained. "To me, it's more common sense."

The strategy is based on the fact that Tomlin, who is extremely quick to the plate when pitching out of the stretch, is one of the Majors' best at controlling the running game. Over the course of Tomlin's eight seasons in the Major Leagues, there have only been 10 successful steals in 20 chances against the right-hander. Last year, Tomlin allowed just one stolen base in two attempts.

Tomlin is only half of the equation, though.

The Indians also boast two of the better throwing catchers in the game in Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez. Last season, Cleveland allowed the fewest steals (50) in the Majors and boasted the highest caught-stealing rate (42.5 percent). According to Statcast™, Gomes and Perez each averaged a 1.95 pop time on throws to second on steal attempts in 2017, putting them into a tie for fifth fastest among MLB catchers.

"It's not just about me," Tomlin said. "It's about 'Berto and Yan being as good as they are back there at throwing guys out."

This approach would not be used against the better basestealing threats -- Billy Hamilton of the Reds, for example -- but rather runners who fall into the second-tier of basethiefs, along with runners who are not stolen base threats. With the first baseman playing back, some runners might be tempted to steal, and that could play into the Tribe's hand.

"If they go, it's kind of like a free out," Perez said. "And we'd love to take it."

The other aspect is putting the defense in a position to potentially take a hit away from the hole between the first and second baseman. That could help for generating double plays or cut down on the opportunities that opposing teams have for the runner on first to hustle to third base on a single to right field.

"I think it's great," Indians first baseman Yonder Alonso said. "You take away the hole and, on the defensive side, you have a chance to cover more ground as a first baseman. We get to steal more hits -- absolutely. And, if they want to go to second base, then have a try. Tomlin's really, realy fast and we have really good catchers. We're not really worried about it. It's a strategy that I think is good."

When the Indians implemented the approach against the Dodgers, Francona noted that Kemp appeared to be considering stealing second on three consecutive pitches, but the runner stayed put.

"He wanted to go, but he couldn't," Francona said. "J.T.'s so quick that -- there will be an occasional stolen base -- but over the long haul, I bet it will save some outs and runs and hits."

Tomlin said he is completely on board with the approach.

"If it helps change even two or three games a year," Tomlin said, "that could be big over the course of a long season."

Stats 

Videos

Quotes



You have successfully logged in!

x

Expectations for the Yankees next season

Will Yu Darvish sign soon?

What is the Nationals' plan with Bryce Harper?

Angels reportedly add Kinsler

Evaluating Francisco Mejia's Defensive Future

2018 IBI Preview Capsule: Ben Taylor

View From the Cheap Seats: Making Roster Decisions

2018 IBI Preview Capsule: Ben Taylor

The Indians claimed Ben Taylor off waivers on Feb. 25, taking a flier on a right-handed arm who made his Major League debut with the Red Sox in 2017.
John Alfes - 20 hours ago
VIP
0

(Photo: Jeff Curry, USA TODAY Sports)

The IBI Preview Capsules are back for 2018, as John Alfes takes an in-depth look at all the players who could impact the Indians this upcoming season.

Ben Taylor, RHP

Throws: Right -- Bats: Right -- Entering his age-26 season -- Contract: Pre-arbitration

2017 In Review: Taylor did nothing to impress the Red Sox last year, going 0-1 with a 5.19 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, .282 opposing batting average, 4.67 BB/9 and 9.35 K/9 over 14 relief appearances (17.1 innings). He logged two-or-more frames in five of his outings, and did not allow a run in his last three games. The sample size was small, but the Red Sox thought it was enough to designate him for assignment on Feb. 18.

Versus Right-handers: The 25-year-old out of the University of South Alabama struggled against right-handed hitters, allowing a .304/.385/.565 (.950 OPS) slash line, one double, one triple and three home runs over 46 at-bats. He used his slider at a 25.1 percent clip, a sign that opposing batters were able to effectively figure out his pitch sequencing and the sharp movement away from the batter’s box.

Versus Left-handers: Taylor held left-handed hitters to .240/.321/.320 (.641 OPS) averages with two doubles over 25 at-bats. Again, the sample size is too small to draw any serious conclusions, but this is an encouraging department. If he gets another chance at the big league level, then a multi-inning role would make sense for manager Terry Francona and company.

Pitch Mix: The fastball, slider and changeup make up Taylor’s arsenal, with the fastball being the dominant pitch (66.1 percent usage rate, 92.3 mph average velocity). Nothing stands out, but a three-pitch repertoire can be enough for a long relief job. Nick Goody is one of the few right-handed relievers on the Tribe’s roster with a slider, making Taylor a unique, potential option.

Fantasy Impact: Cleveland has cluttered its preseason camp with non-rostered pitchers, including the likes of Matt Belisle, Preston Claiborne, Stephen Fife, Alexi Ogando, Neil Ramirez and Carlos Torres. This will make it difficult for Taylor to make the team out of Spring Training or at any point in the 2018 campaign, but his 3.2 innings of one-run ball in the Cactus League could turn some heads. Depth Charts projects him to go 1-1 with a 5.00 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .275 opposing batting average, 4.18 BB/9 and 7.46 K/9 over 25 contests (25 innings).

Summary: The Indians could very well turn to Taylor at some point this season depending on how Zach McAllister, Dan Otero and Goody perform in their elevated roles out of the ‘pen. With five of last year’s relievers departed, it might take a while for the team to solidify a staff, especially with a new pitching coach in Carl Willis and new bullpen coach in Scott Atchison. Taylor is on the 40-man roster, so he will continue to get chances to prove he belongs.

Check out our other 2018 capsules here:
•OF Lonnie Chisenhall
•RHP Trevor Bauer
•LHP Tyler Olson
•2B/3B Jose Ramirez
•C Yan Gomes
•3B Giovanny Urshela
•OF Greg Allen
•RHP Mike Clevinger
•3B Yandy Diaz
•RHP Nick Goody
•OF Brandon Guyer
•RHP Corey Kluber
•1B Yonder Alonso
•2B/3B Erik Gonzalez
•LHP Andrew Miller
•SS Yu-Cheng Chang
•OF Abraham Almonte
•C Francisco Mejia
•OF Michael Brantley
•LHP Ryan Merritt
•RHP Dan Otero
•OF Tyler Naquin
•SS Francisco Lindor
•RHP Zach McAllister
•RHP Carlos Carrasco
•SS Willi Castro
•RHP Cody Allen
•DH/1B Edwin Encarnacion
•RHP Josh Tomlin
•C Eric Haase

John Alfes has covered the Indians for IBI since August of 2016. Follow him on Twitter @JohnAlfes for breaking news and in-depth coverage all season long.

Author

John Alfes  @JohnAlfes

Discuss

0 Comments

Join the discussion ... Add comment

2018 IBI Preview Capsule: Adam Plutko

Adam Plutko blossomed throughout his first three years in the Minor Leagues before struggling last season. What can the Indians expect from the former UCLA standout in 2018?
John Alfes - 71 minutes ago
VIP
0

The IBI Preview Capsules are back for 2018, as John Alfes takes an in-depth look at all the players who could impact the Indians this upcoming season.

Adam Plutko, RHP

Throws: Right -- Bats: Right -- Entering his age-27 season -- Contract: Pre-arbitration

2017 In Review: It was a year to forget for Plutko, as he went 7-12 with a 5.90 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, .295 opposingAdam Plutko, RHP

Throws: Right -- Bats: Right -- Entering his age-27 season -- Contract: Pre-arbitration

2017 In Review: It was a year to forget for Plutko, as he went 7-12 with a 5.90 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, .295 opposing batting average, 3.52 BB/9 and 6.83 K/9 over 24 games (22 starts, 135.2 innings) at Triple-A Columbus. He spent 13 days with the Indians, but never made a relief appearance. The poor command of the strike zone and inability to put batters away is what stood out the most, as Plutko walked a career-hi batting average, 3.52 BB/9 and 6.83 K/9 over 24 games (22 starts, 135.2 innings) at Triple-A Columbus. He spent 13 days with the Indians, but never made a relief appearance. The poor command of the strike zone and inability to put batters away is what stood out the most, as Plutko walked a career-high 9.1 percent of the hitters he faced, and struck out a career-low 17.6 percent of the hitters he faced. He underwent surgery to repair a labrum tear in his right hip last October.

Versus Right-handers: Historically, Plutko is effective against opposition from both sides of the plate, but the higher levels of the farm system have thrown him fits. Right-handed hitters batted .320 with 78 hits and only 46 strikeouts over 60.1 frames, giving Plutko a 6.12 ERA. The 26-year-old right-hander has never been one to overpower batters, so inconsistency in locating the ball appears to be the primary issue for this department.

Versus Left-handers: Lefties had just as much success as righties, as they handed Plutko a 5.73 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and .273 opposing batting average in 75.1 innings. Plutko walked 31 batters and surrendered 11 of his 24 home runs, struggling to get ahead in the count and limit damage. Although it appears this was his preferable matchup, there were few encouraging takeaways overall.

Pitch Mix: Plutko throws a fastball, slider, curveball and changeup, with the fastball and slider being the primary one-two combo. When he made two big league outings in 2016, Plutko had a 63.3 percent usage rate on his fastball (90.9 mph average velocity), 17.7 percent usage rate on his slider (82.9 mph), 12.7 percent usage rate on his curveball (76.6 mph) and 6.3 percent usage rate on his changeup (83 mph). It is a true four-pitch mix, and Plutko’s time as a starter at UCLA and the Tribe’s Minor League system is a testament to his heavy workload over the past four campaigns.

Fantasy Impact: Cleveland has never used Plutko as a starter despite developing him through its pipeline in that role. With eight possible candidates for the rotation this season – including Danny Salazar, Ryan Merritt and Shawn Morimando – it seems like a long shot for Plutko to get a chance anywhere else but the bullpen in a long-relief job. Depth Charts projects him to make two starts in 2018, logging nine innings of six-run ball.

Summary: Plutko broke onto the scene from 2014-2016, dominating the lower levels of the farm system and rising to the Clippers at a rapid rate. His severe drop in performance in 2017 will require a bounce back in 2018, particularly for a team with arguably the best starting rotation of all-time. Plutko was the College World Series Most Outstanding Player in 2013, so the talent to shine in the spotlight is there. Not only does he need to recover from the offseason hip surgery, but he needs to excel and prove he is ready to provide reliable depth for the Indians.

Civ ... From Hoynsie ...

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Michael Brantley's timetable on a return to the Indians' lineup has apparently been fast tracked.

He DH'd in a minor league game on Wednesday, getting two at-bats. Brantley, recovering from right ankle surgery in October, did not run the bases.

On Thursday, Brantley went through outfield drills. Just when he'll play again depends on how his ankle responds to what he's putting it through.

"He's doing terrific," manager Terry Francona told reporters in Goodyear, Ariz. "We're just looking to see how he responds to what he's done."

This is the third straight spring Brantley has raced the clock to get ready for opening day. He didn't make it in 2016 while recovering from right shoulder surgery. He made it in 2017 while recovering from a second operation on his right shoulder. Now he's once again trying to make up for lost time.

Francona said Brantley has grown weary of the rehab process.

"I think he's tired of the process," said Francona. "I think he's got a mature outlook about it because he's had to go through it so often.

"I think he wants to give himself the best chance to come back and stay back. I do think he's done a good job. I've always felt that way about him. But things have come up along the way. That sometimes happens when you're playing a sport."

Brantley played 11 games in 2016 and 90 last year before injuring his ankle.

No. 1: Lots of innings for Z-mac

Going into Thursday's game against the Reds, Corey Kluber and Trevor Bauer were leading Indians pitchers in innings with 13 2/3 and 13 1/3, respectively. In third place, surprisingly, was reliever Zach McAllister.

McAllister has pitched 10 1/3 innings in seven games. He's posted a 0.87 ERA, while allowing one run on seven hits and five walks. McAllister has nine strikeouts.

Last year McAllister finished his tour in the desert with nine appearances and 11 2/3 innings. He struck out 12 and walked one and allowed six runs and 14 hits.

The Indians always stretch out McAllister's arm in the spring, but perhaps they're adding more to his workload this spring to be able to handle more critical innings in the absence of Bryan Shaw.

No.2: Francona preaches roster patience

Francona admitted he is always wrestling with what the 25-man roster will look like come opening day. During a lull in a spring training game, he might mentally start taking notes. Then there are the never-ending conversations with bench coach Brad Mills and other staff members.

But a roster, like a cake, cannot be baked too fast.

"We need to get the group a little bit smaller before we start doing that," said Francona. "We've still got 47 (healthy) guys in camp. We need one more pretty big cut. Then we'll start thinking about that stuff."

The big cut will probably come next week after the Indians play six games in four days starting with Friday's game against the A's.

They'll send a split-squad team to Las Vegas to play the Cubs on Saturday and Sunday, while the other half of the roster plays the Cubs in Mesa, Ariz., on Saturday and the Mariners on Sunday in Peoria, Ariz.

The Indians will reunite on Monday to play the Giants and have an off day on Tuesday.

"The most important thing is to have alternate plans," said Francona. "If this happens, we need to be prepared here. I've always thought you have to have a roster where the players complement each other. Sometimes it's really tough for players to understand that."

No. 3: Mike Clevinger misses start

The Indians scratched Clevinger from his start on Thursday against the Reds because of illness. Evan Marshall, in camp on a minor league deal, started in his place.

Francona, earlier this spring, named Clevinger to the starting rotation. Clevinger was 12-6 with a 3.11 ERA last year.

"He's big, strong and has three major league pitches," said Francona. "He's still a young pitcher as far as innings go in the major leagues. His big challenge is to work ahead in the count as opposed to behind, because his numbers are so drastically different when he works ahead. So when he does that he can be really good. When he doesn't he pays a pretty big price."

Clevinger, in four starts this spring, has a 4.00 ERA. He's allowed four earned runs on seven hits in nine innings. He's struck out nine and walked one.

No. 4: Life on the other side

When the Indians send a player from big league camp to the minors, Francona, on occasion, says he's been sent to "the other side."

On Wednesday, several players still in big league camp were on the other side of the Tribe's complex in Goodyear, Ariz. playing games.

Josh Tomlin pitched three innings for Class AAA Columbus against the Giants. Cody Allen (one inning), Andrew Miller (one inning) and Dan Otero (two innings) pitched for Class AA Akron against San Francisco's Double-A team.

Francisco Mejia went 1-for-2 for Columbus. Although the Indians sent him down with the idea of playing some outfield, Mejia was behind the plate on Wednesday. Abraham Almonte started in left field for Columbus and went 0-for-1.

Peter Gammons: The Cleveland Indians, best run team in professional sports
March 5, 2018 by Peter Gammons 28 Comments

PHOENIX—The Cleveland Indians have won 454 games the last five years, 22 more than the runner-up Boston Red Sox. In those years, the Indians spent $414M less in payroll than Boston, which at the start speaks volumes about how well the Indians have been run.

Two years ago, they got to the tenth inning of an incredible World Series game 7, in a rain delay. Last October they lost an agonizing 5th game of the ALDS to the Yankees, with Corey Kluber, the best pitcher in the American League hurt. They had a 22 game winning streak that ran until September 15, their +254 run differential was 56 runs better than the next best American League team (Houston), they won 102 games, they led the league in earned run average, their starters were 81-38 and they had four players hit between 29 and 38 homers, including 29 apiece from the left side of their infield, Francisco Lindor and Jose Ramirez.

And they even drew 2.05M (22nd in MLB) to the ballpark formerly known as The Jake, the only time in this five year run they drew more than 1.6M or were higher than 28th in the majors.

That is the reality they live with. One could argue that in terms of talent and human player development, the growth of young front office talent (6 current general managers and three club presidents), they are presently the best run organization in the sport, especially given their financial restraints. That extra inning loss to the Cubs in 2016 is all that stands between Terry Francona having three World Series rings and a guaranteed ride to Cooperstown, although when his time comes, he is likely to make it into the Hall of Fame.

All that said, in the first week of March, the hoopla has been for the Yankees and the twin towers, Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, as well as what should be the best bullpen in the game. Or Houston, the world champions loaded with extraordinarily skilled young players and the addition of Gerrit Cole. And the Red Sox, with J.D. Martinez added to another highly skilled team of young position players.

But even though they lost Carlos Santana and his 63 extra-base-hits to free agency as well as Bryan Shaw, who led the league in appearances in this five year run, in reality the American League road to late October may well again run through the shores of Lake Erie. “From the top (owner Paul Dolan) through the front office to the coaching staff, the clubhouse, the minor leagues, this is a unique place,” says Francona. Tito is the hub of the function of the organization run by Chris Antonetti and Mike Chernoff, but then, coming here in 2013 after leaving the cacophony of Boston in 2011 was absolutely the right place at the right time. “There is so much energy devoted to getting things done right,” says their talented young pitcher Mike Clevinger, “it’s a tremendous place to play and grow.”

For instance, since they don’t know where Michael Brantley’s shoulder rehab will be come April, while Jason Kipnis plans on returning to second base, he is constantly kept abreast of whether or not he will have to play some outfield. In turn, they have been able to find players like Andrew Miller, who is completely unselfish and while one of the elite relievers in either league has no issue pitching whenever and wherever Francona believes is the leverage spot to utilize him.

Since Miller came from the Yankees at the trading deadline in 2016 and led them to Game Seven of the Series, the bullpen and Francona’s usage have been the team’s driving wheel. Shaw is a loss, a freakish workhorse who also gets lefthanded batters out better than righthanders, but Miller and Cody Allen return at the end, Dan Otero is back in the middle with Zach McAllister, they came up with Nick Goody and Tyler Olson last season in the process of leading the majors in save percentage.

Kluber has won two Cy Young Awards, his focus is the pitching equivalent of Joey Votto, his changeup is an evolving work in progress and he is a model; players and scouts who went to an indoor facility in Massachusetts this winter were amazed by how every ball Kluber throws in January is done with the focus and precision of the seventh game of the World Series. Catcher Roberto Perez thinks Carlos Carrasco “can win the Cy Young as well;” Kluber and Carrasco did strike out 491 in 403 innings last season. Trevor Bauer, who this winter added a Kluber slider that has changed his repertoire, seems on the brink of frontline status and Clevinger may be, as well.

What’s fascinating about the foursome is that they are all consumed by greatness. Bauer is coming to grips with all the elements of that consumption. Clevinger, whose stuff is unquestioned, has been inconsistent throwing strikes in his 174 2/3 major league innings, walking 84, striking out 187. His numbers ahead in the count are dominant. His numbers when he throws ball one are, well, not so dominant. So this winter he worked on his balance to help that consistency, working on balance beams, “learning,” he says, “how to walk properly” and doing a series of big toe exercises. For those of us that have been to 45 previous spring trainings, there are plenty of things we can learn in year 46. And there’s Danny Salazar, he of the great stuff but physical issues that probably will keep him out of the rotation in early April. And Josh Tomlin, vastly unappreciated.

And, in the midsummer wings, there is Shane Bieber. Drafted in the fourth round in 2016 out of UC Santa Barbara, he went through the Midwest, Carolina and Eastern League last season and, while thinking about throwing strikes, in 197 professional innings has 183 strikeouts and 12 walks. 183 strikeouts and 12 walks.

They signed Yonder Alonso in place of Santana, Kipnis is healthy, the Lindor-Ramirez left side is at star level, and the fact that Perez came into camp in the best condition of his career gives them a tandem with Yan Gomes that handles the pitching. Bradley Zimmer is an elite speed center fielder whose hitting is developing, Brantley is still a health uncertainty, albeit one of the best hitters in the league. One of their best prospects, Bobby Bradley, has hit 79 homers in three professional seasons and reported in such chiseled shape he was nearly unrecognizable.

They have the farm system depth that has allowed them to make deals for Miller and Jay Bruce the last two years, although with the possible free agent losses at the end of this season, they may be reluctant to make a major move.

Yet, they know all too well it’s been since 1948 since Cleveland has won a World Series. Yes, they won 111 games in a 154 game schedule in 1954 and were swept by the Giants. The 1997 seven game series against the Marlins was a heartbreak. So was 1995 to the Braves. And 2016 to the Cubs, so there may be the thought that the time has come today around July 31.

Other than the Twins, the Indians do have the luxury of a division that allows them to rest pitchers and likely win 100-something games. That could allow Francona to do whatever he can to get into October with his pitching intact, which hasn’t been the case in 2016 and 2017.

The Astros are fully aware of the Indians. So are the Yankees and Red Sox. There’s a reason they’ve won 22 more games than any other American League team the last five years, and while their 2018 payroll may be almost $100M less than that of the Red Sox, it may not matter. They are that good, that well managed, that well run, proof of the Marine officer training lesson that the first tenet of leadership is authenticity.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

One could argue that in terms of talent and human player development, the growth of young front office talent (6 current general managers and three club presidents), they are presently the best run organization in the sport, especially given their financial restraints.