Re: Just Baseball: Major League teams OTHER THAN the Tribe

Brewers' farm system skyrockets in Keith Law's rankings after Corbin Burnes trade

Fans will love to see where the Brewers' farm system ranks

By Alex House

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:28 PM CST2 min read

It is easy for Milwaukee Brewers fans to be scared of the unknowns staring them in the face. David Stearns and Craig Counsell both went to bigger markets and Cy Young Corbin Burnes was just traded to the Baltimore Orioles. The National League Central has a mixture of up-and-coming teams and more financially-secure clubs who are investing in being competitive right away. It feels like the Brew Crew could be stuck in no man's land.

Their plethora of promising prospects suggest otherwise, however, as does their placement in Keith Law's latest farm sytem rankings. Milwaukee comes in at No. 2, only behind the organization whose cupboard it recently raided in the Burnes deal. In fact, the haul the Brewers received from the Orioles, highlighted by shortstop Joey Ortiz, is a big reason why they jumped up the list (No. 8 before last season).

“Their system has a little of everything right now — a couple of potential superstars, some high-end pitching, some teenagers in the low minors who look like upside plays — and could look very different in either direction based on how their 2023 draft class, which looked outstanding on paper, shows up in its first full season,” Law wrote in The Athletic.

Brewers could be dangerous in a few years

Jackson Chourio headlines the group, but he is surely heading for a big league promotion after signing a historic contract extension during the offseason. The 19-year-old Venezuelan outfielder has the perfect speed to utilize modern base-running rules and develop into a high-end leadoff hitter. He continues this trend of Orioles-Brewers youthful star power, sitting behind Jackson Holliday as the No. 2 ranked prospect on MLB's Top 100 list.

Jeferson Quero could be the club's long-term catcher, potentially allowing All-Star William Contreras to move to designated hitter down the line. Corner infielder Tyler Black can also be an intriguing addition to the lineup when he becomes a bit more polished.

21-year-old right-handed starting pitcher Jacob Misiorowski could be asked to anchor Milwaukee's rotation in the next couple years, with Corbin Burnes' departure necessitating the emergence of another hurler. He might still be at least a year away from his debut, though.

oey Ortiz could be the most-ready MLB talent of the bunch, despite struggling in a minuscule sample size with Baltimore in 2023. Law believes he can be the franchise's everyday shortstop for the next half-decade. The Brewers' present remains murky, but it can clear up rather quickly. And stay that way for a long while.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

MLB 2024 farm system rankings: Keith Law ranks all 30 teams, Orioles are new No. 1

Keith Law

Feb 9, 2024

As part of my annual prospect rankings, I’ve also ranked all 30 major-league teams’ farm systems here, with a brief explanation of why they’re in this order — although I think you’ll get an even clearer picture on any individual team by reading the team reports that will begin to roll out on Monday. Bear in mind that these rankings only consider players currently in the system and eligible for the rankings, meaning players who have not yet lost rookie status.

I consider all prospects in a system for the rankings, not just those on the top 100 list; there’s still value in prospects who don’t project to be stars, or even regulars, whether it’s for your own club or for trades. The increased number of teams scouting the Rookie-level complex leagues to look for players to acquire in trades only further justifies this philosophy for ranking systems — teams are telling us these prospects have value. I’ll also note that I think the minors as a whole are weaker than they’ve been in a while, a consequence of a lot of promotions over the last year or so, the elimination of short-season leagues, and just random variation over the years.

1. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles’ system has become ridiculously deep in position players now that the players they’ve signed in international free agency the last few years are bubbling up, with that particular group led by No. 20 overall prospect Sammy Basallo. They have so much depth in the infield that they were able to trade shortstop Joey Ortiz (No. 58) — who looks like a 3 WAR player right now — for Corbin Burnes and still have more infielders than they can possibly play. There’s also some more pitching coming even though they have largely eschewed drafting arms with high-round picks, with their top two pitching prospects coming via trade and several other international free-agent pitchers now on their top 20 list. They’ve drafted well and developed well and continue to find value where other teams might miss it. For all of the hype the Orioles’ system has received in the last five years, it might be better than ever right now.

2. Milwaukee Brewers

The Brewers added to their system with the trade that sent their ace Corbin Burnes to Baltimore for Ortiz, a deal that hurts their playoff chances this year but should give them an everyday shortstop for the next six seasons. Their system has a little of everything right now — a couple of potential superstars, some high-end pitching, some teenagers in the low minors who look like upside plays — and could look very different in either direction based on how their 2023 draft class, which looked outstanding on paper, shows up in its first full season.

3. Los Angeles Dodgers

No longer atop the list but still strong and deep, the Dodgers just keep turning … well, not lead into gold, but something near gold (mercury? iridium?) into gold, picking up River Ryan (No. 33) in a trade and Peyton Martin late in the draft and developing them both into high-end starting pitching prospects in a year. The Dodgers also remain one of the leaders at finding talent on the international free agent market even beyond their top few signings, with a lot of very toolsy and/or projectable guys on their back fields every spring, one of whom might turn into the next Josue De Paula (No. 25). They did see their top prospect from last year, Diego Cartaya, flop in his Double-A debut and look bad doing it, raising questions about the feel to hit and the catching, although one player dropping doesn’t destroy a farm system. They remain in good position to swing a big trade when they need to, and wisely added another promising arm (Jackson Ferris) in the Michael Busch trade to keep their pitching pipeline rolling.

4. Arizona Diamondbacks

Part of the surprise surrounding Arizona’s 2023 National League pennant-winning season was that they still have so much talent coming, with Jordan Lawlar (No. 4) ready to step into the lineup this year and plenty of additional position-player depth behind him. Druw Jones (No. 41) is a wild card after an injury-marred 2023 where he didn’t play that well when he was on the field — but he was also recovering from major shoulder surgery when the year began, so I haven’t given up on him yet. I don’t think they have another Brandon Pfaadt in the system but they do have some back-end starter/swingman types who could end up helping the team in the near future.

5. Chicago Cubs

This system got good in a hurry; I could argue for 10 Cubs prospects to be in the top ~125 or so if I were inclined to keep ranking guys (note: I am not so inclined). They’ve drafted so well the last few years, landing two top 100 prospects and a guy who’ll probably start the season in their rotation with their last three first-round picks, while four of their top 10 guys came over in trades. They’ve got players coming on the mound and at positions up the middle, maybe a little light on potential middle-of-the-order bats. They’ve had some misses on the international front, and they might have only one pitching prospect with a chance to be more than a league-average starter right now, but this is the best shape the Cubs’ system has been in since before Anthony Rizzo caught that final out in 2016.

6. Detroit Tigers

No, really: The Tigers’ system is good, even with, frankly, a lot of misses still running around the system. Their last three first-round picks are all on the top 100, and they have a large group of players heading towards the majors who look like they’ll at least be regulars or back-end starters, guys like Josue Briceno who have positional questions but big bats or Brant Hurter who doesn’t look like a typical starter but keeps succeeding thanks to deception and control. The development of Colt Keith (No. 36) and Parker Meadows (No. 97) should give Tigers fans hope, as both guys were very much unfinished products when drafted — with Meadows showing a big hitch in his swing — and have evolved into complete players with the potential to help right now. I think it’s been some time since the Tigers had a success story like that.

7. New York Yankees

The Yankees’ system is a little light at the top right now, but that could change very quickly, as they had one of the most stacked complex-league teams in memory, with one guy sneaking on to my top 100 in Roderick Arias (No. 98) plus as many as five guys who could challenge for the top 100 as soon as next year — and some depth beyond that. Their international scouting department has been on some kind of roll lately, and they’ve generated a ton of value through the draft recently. Their 2021 draft class hasn’t produced a big leaguer directly, but they’ve traded three of their top nine picks for major-leaguers, plus their second-rounder from 2022 (Drew Thorpe). I’m a little skeptical of some of their most famous guys but I am very excited about the lesser-known guys from that Florida Complex League team.

8. Boston Red Sox

The Red Sox’s system had a hell of a 2023, even with their top guy (Marcelo Mayer, No. 8) getting hurt again. Roman Anthony (No. 22) is one of the big development success stories in all of the minors, with a remade swing that’s one of the best in the minors and the team’s recognition that he was too good for Low A even when he wasn’t performing stat-wise. Their 2023 draft worked out better than they might have hoped, with Kyle Teel (No. 54) falling to their first pick and then the very high-upside athlete Nazzan Zanetello coming with their second pick. The big knock I had last year is still here, though — they do not have pitching, with nobody in full-season ball I’d project as a major-league starter, and at some point that will have to change via trade or a different approach in the draft.

9. Pittsburgh Pirates

The Pirates have pitching — they might have the best group of pitching prospects of any team right now, with three on the top 100, another (Anthony Solometo) in the next 25 or so, and more arms coming behind them. They may be the only team that has expressly focused on building pitching and then had success at it, at least at the minor-league level. To be fair, they did graduate a few position-player prospects last year (Henry Davis, Endy Rodríguez, the underrated Jared Triolo), but this might be a year for them to value position players a little more in trades and even the draft given where they pick.

10. Chicago White Sox

Not to denigrate Chicago at all, as this is about as good as their system has ever looked — I believe five guys on my top 100 this year is tied for the most the White Sox have ever placed — but I think in a typical year, this is more a median farm system than a top 10 one. They did extremely well in last summer’s trade binge, they’ve hit on a couple of recent high drafts, and we’ve seen guys develop in that system to a degree that we hadn’t seen in some time. It also should give Sox fans hope that some of the high-upside guys who haven’t performed that well yet, like the just-acquired Jake Eder, might make good on their abilities with better performances. I doubt they’ll do it, but trading Luis Robert while he still has time left on his contract could push them into the top five.

11. Washington Nationals

Similar to the White Sox, the Nats have a top-heavy system with a few potential stars but not a ton of depth, quickly sliding into reliever/extra guy territory even before we get out of their top 10. They have four guys on the top 100 and I’d bet at least three of them turn into above-average regulars in their roles, which is worth a whole lot even if the rest of the system doesn’t produce that much major-league value.

12. Tampa Bay Rays

I’m so used to Tampa Bay being at or near the top of these lists, but a lot of recent graduations, some draft whiffs, and a rare prospect trade (Kyle Manzardo, No. 66) have definitely hurt the system. They’ve produced so much pitching, but now have just one pitcher in their top 10, and Mason Montgomery had a very disappointing year despite above-average stuff. Relative to some of the teams above them here, they have fewer potential superstars, but more depth with guys who should have some positive major-league value (meaning WAR above 0).

13. St. Louis Cardinals

The Cardinals need pitching, so they’re going out to get pitching, but may I also point out that they might have some pitching coming soon? They’ve got a trio of promising up-the-middle position players in or close to the majors, then a raft of arms — maybe back-end starters, maybe bulk relievers — who should also start in or quickly get to Triple A this year. What they may lack is a potential superstar, someone who could be a 6 WAR player; their best guy is shortstop Masyn Winn (No. 16), who I think will be very valuable because of his glove, position and arm, but I think a 6 WAR season is asking too much of his bat.

14. Cincinnati Reds

Ton of depth here, maybe no stars unless Cam Collier (No. 50), who will be 19 this year, takes a step forward and shows improvement at third base. They’re in a similar position to Tampa Bay, with a long list of players who look like they’ll produce something in the majors but may do so as part-time guys or relievers.

15. New York Mets

The Mets did pretty well in their trades of big contracts, landing three of their top 10 prospects and adding some interesting depth guys in smaller deals (such as the one that sent David Robertson to Miami for two good prospects off the Marlins’ complex league team). They also remain a highly productive team in the draft, a drum I’ve been banging for a while, as they’ve traded so many of their drafted players that I think their success there can be easy to overlook.

16. Seattle Mariners

This one might change in a hurry, as the Mariners have a huge collection of teenage position-player prospects with big upside but big uncertainty. Their top international free-agent signing from 2023, Felnin Celesten, didn’t play last year due to injury, and they led their 2023 draft with three high school position-player prospects, one of whom (Colt Emerson, No. 37) made my top 100 but all three of whom have pretty high upsides. After churning out arms for a while, the Mariners’ system might be out of potential starters for the moment, with no pitchers in their top 10.

17. Minnesota Twins

The Twins are solid up top, with a lot of guys bitten by the injury bug last year and a lot of pitchers who at least have work to do to project as starters, whether it’s stamina or a third pitch or command. They seem to have whiffed on their first-round picks in 2019 (Keoni Cavaco) and 2020 (Aaron Sabato), then traded their first-rounder in 2021 (Chase Petty), so that also hurts the system’s standing relative to other clubs.

18. San Diego Padres

Despite all of the trades they’ve made the last few years, the Padres still can point to some big upside on the farm, just nothing very close to the majors. The combined ages of their top five prospects is 97, from No. 3 overall prospect Ethan Salas (18 years old this season) to No. 23 overall prospect Jackson Merrill (21 years old), and all five offer substantial upside; I’m not even including 17-year-old Leo De Vries, whom they signed in January for $4.2 million and will debut somewhere this summer. That makes for a volatile system that could move up or down significantly based on the performances and physical development of all of those young’uns.

19. Philadelphia Phillies

The Phillies have some sneaky depth here, with a very talented Low-A Clearwater roster in 2023 buttressing the system, and a solid mix of pitching and position players across all levels. They might end up with a pair of stars in Justin Crawford (No. 43) and, if he comes back 100 percent from Tommy John surgery, Andrew Painter (No. 34), while they have significant depth on both sides of the ball to make some small trades.

20. Toronto Blue Jays

The Jays have some really exciting guys in the lowminors, but a large number of returning prospects stalled or even took steps backward last year, guys like Tucker Toman, Brandon Barriera, Gabriel Martinez, Manuel Beltre and Dasan Brown. They did get a big year from Orelvis Martinez (No. 57), restoring hope he can be an above-average regular in the majors, and got one of the steals of the first round in shortstop Arjun Nimmala (No. 59) in the last draft.

21. Texas Rangers

The Rangers traded a lot of talent to get that ring, but they got the ring and I doubt anyone’s going to complain if Luisangel Acuña or Thomas Saggesse makes an All-Star team some day. They still boast two of the top nine prospects in the game, and they have a large group of pitchers who just look like they should be something in the majors but have not been able to make the leap there or even to Triple A. Are Rangers fans even reading this or are they still recovering from the parade?

22. Cleveland Guardians

If I were just comparing systems’ top eight prospects, Cleveland would be in the upper half, at the very least, but I think they fall off very quickly after that, the result of some weaker draft classes that have focused a lot on undersized hitters and guys who are just young for their levels. That said, I could see any of five guys leaping onto the top 100 next year, including Daniel Espino, who hasn’t pitched in almost two years but was the best pitching prospect in baseball in April 2023.

23. San Francisco Giants

Who was the last truly successful first-round pick for the Giants? I think it’s Zack Wheeler, way back in 2009; by WAR, their next-best guy is Joe Panik, at a 5.4 total for his career, although I acknowledge Patrick Bailey might break the streak. I just bring this up as some context for the low ranking here, as they have three guys on the top 100 and one who just missed, but missing on that many high picks deprives your system of upside and of depth — plenty of first-rounders turn out to be just solid prospects and then solid big leaguers, and you need those guys too. If you want to look on the bright side, the prospects the Giants do have include several high-upside pitchers and toolsy athletes, the types who could improve very quickly in the right circumstances.

24. Colorado Rockies

Tough times in Rockieland, although developing players in their system is a challenge due to several extreme hitters’ environments among their affiliates. They’ve had a few hitters fail to progress as hoped, particularly in terms of their approaches at the plate, along with Warming Bernabel, a top 100 guy last year who may still have been dealing with the aftermath of a concussion in his 2023 season. They also had maybe the worst day any farm director had last year when they announced all at once that three of their top pitching prospects had to undergo Tommy John surgery.

25. Kansas City Royals

It might sound odd given the ranking, but I like the Royals’ system. There are a lot of players here who could or should be pretty good — maybe not top 100 prospects, per se, but prospects who project to 2 WAR or so years in the majors. They had a lot of significant prospects get hurt and either miss a lot of time or play through it with worse results, so I’m hopeful that the returning players in the system as a whole will have much better years in 2024 just by virtue of getting over whatever ailed them last year. Given what we saw on the field, though, I can’t boost them any higher than this despite my optimism.

26. Atlanta

Atlanta has traded everyone, almost. There’s some pitching still here, more if J.R. Ritchie comes back 100 percent from Tommy John surgery, but most of those guys, even their top pitching prospects like Hurston Waldrep (No. 80), carry significant reliever risk, and Nacho Alvarez might be the only position player here who has a reasonable chance to be a regular.

27. Houston Astros

The Astros’ prospect pipeline is slowing down, although they have continued to get more out of players who look like they’ll be fringe major-leaguers — getting 3.6 WAR from Chas McCormick, who was never close to any of my top 100s, is fantastic work all around. Maybe that means they get a Jacob Melton (just missed) or a Zach Dezenzo to their 90th percentile outcome, but that’s not how I evaluate players since they can change organizations at any time. The silver lining here is that the Astros have a lot of players with tools, and thus player development has something to work with, despite low draft positions and the trade that sent away two of their top five prospects for Justin Verlander.

28. Miami Marlins

The Marlins’ system has been depleted by some trades and some underwhelming drafts, plus some international free agents who’ve stalled out quickly in the low minors despite big tools. They do have pitching on the way, although it’s probably a few years out, while their position-player group is really light. Their draft last year started with two very high-upside high school pitchers, and if both stay healthy this year the top of the system will look quite a bit better.

29. Los Angeles Angels

The Angels have one top 100 guy, one guy just below him with top 50 upside, and then it falls off quickly. Last summer’s trades to try to make one last playoff push while Shohei Ohtani was there sent off several prospects of note and drove this system down several spots, while there’s also the natural impact of having your 2022 first-round pick (Zach Neto) already graduate from the list while most of his peers are still eligible.

30. Oakland Athletics

I don’t mean to pick on the A’s, or their fans, but this system should be in much better shape given their high draft positions and trades of big-leaguers. They have promoted a lot of guys off the list, notably Zack Gelof and Tyler Soderstrom, so some players who’d still be prospects with other teams are in the majors and thus ineligible here. Gelof was an outstanding pick in the second round in 2021 and player development did a great job freeing him up at the plate; they just need a couple more home-run picks like that to get this system out of the cellar.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

WoW!

The Dodgers go out and spend over $1 billion on Shohei Ohtani, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Tyler Glasnow and still manage to have the 3rd best farm system in baseball.

WoW 2!

This was a reality check:

6. Detroit Tigers

10. Chicago White Sox

17. Minnesota Twins

22. Cleveland Guardians

25. Kansas City Royals

After all the hype concerning the farm system, I honestly thought it was at least in the top 5. Trailing the contenders in this division and sitting only a couple of slots ahead of Kansas City was the real reality check. Could be a good reason why the offseason has been a stagnant one. Is the cupboard almost bare or am I missing something......or is Keith Law missing something??

I'm assuming Keith Law knows his stuff.?!?!?

Keith Law:

[ As part of my annual prospect rankings, I’ve also ranked all 30 major-league teams’ farm systems here, with a brief explanation of why they’re in this order — although I think you’ll get an even clearer picture on any individual team by reading the team reports that will begin to roll out on Monday. Bear in mind that these rankings only consider players currently in the system and eligible for the rankings, meaning players who have not yet lost rookie status.

I consider all prospects in a system for the rankings, not just those on the top 100 list; there’s still value in prospects who don’t project to be stars, or even regulars, whether it’s for your own club or for trades. The increased number of teams scouting the Rookie-level complex leagues to look for players to acquire in trades only further justifies this philosophy for ranking systemsteams are telling us these prospects have value. I’ll also note that I think the minors as a whole are weaker than they’ve been in a while, a consequence of a lot of promotions over the last year or so, the elimination of short-season leagues, and just random variation over the years. ]

Being #22 out of 30 is a bit disconcerting under those conditions.

<
-- Bob Feller

I understood the article as saying that if the rankings were based on our top 8 players, the Guardians would likely be in the upper half.

Based on the organization as a whole, Not so good. Like Law stated:

The top 8 players get us in the upper half, I'm guessing the top 10.,

but, I think they fall off very quickly after that, the result of some weaker draft classes that have focused a lot on undersized hitters and guys who are just young for their levels.

That's not so good.

<
-- Bob Feller

BASEBALL / JAPANESE BASEBALL

Swallows' Murakami aims for second Triple Crown and team rebound

Feb 11, 2024

URASOE, OKINAWA PREF. – Third baseman Munetaka Murakami is eager to put his anti-climactic 2023 season behind him and put the Tokyo Yakult Swallows back on track with another Triple Crown this year.
Two years ago, Murakami led the Central League with 56 home runs, 134 RBIs and a .318 batting average to power the Swallows to a second straight pennant. Afterward, he received a three-year contract and spoke of moving to Major League Baseball upon its conclusion.

Things appeared to be going his way in the final games of the 2023 World Baseball Classic in Miami, where his semifinal-winning ninth-inning double and his game-tying home run in the final helped Samurai Japan to the championship.

But the young slugger struggled once the regular season began, and the Swallows followed suit, sinking to fifth place in the CL.

"I want to win another Triple Crown. And if I'm able, I think the team can win another pennant," Murakami said at the club's spring training facility in Urasoe, Okinawa Prefecture. "At any rate, the only thing I'm thinking about is getting good results."

Murakami, who had dominated the league with his ability to drive inside pitches, has been intent on reclaiming his form in camp, using a bat in drills with a center of gravity closer to the handle.

"I'm conscious of where I hit the ball as I rotate my body," he said. "It feels like I'm keeping the bat inside and swinging outward."

On Wednesday, five days after turning 24, Murakami felt tightness in his left gluteal muscles, and he has since been on an individualized training regimen.

"The symptoms aren't serious," Swallows manager Shingo Takatsu said. "We've placed some restrictions on him so it doesn't get worse, and hopefully he gets better day by day."

Things have been tough for Murakami since he matched Hall of Famer Sadaharu Oh in 2022 as the second Japan-born player to hit 55 home runs in a season, and then surpassed him with 56.

In a long 2023 that began with the WBC, Murakami hit 31 regular-season homers and drove in 84 runs, 50 fewer than the year before.

And though the next WBC is not scheduled until 2026, Murakami is looking to win another championship for Japan in November in the Premier12, when hopefully he will once more be the hitter who raises the bar for everyone else.

"I want to be a role model for the players new to the national team," said Murakami, who on Saturday was training indoors and hitting off a tee, taking that comeback one day at a time.

"I'm doing just those things I'm able to."

<
-- Bob Feller

Royals continue to upgrade pitching staff, embrace buyer role with Red Sox trade

The Royals continue to improve their major league roster while the Red Sox load up on prospects.

By Scott Alan Salomon | Feb 17, 2024

Watch out for the Kansas City Royals. They are wheeling and dealing and looking to make a serious move out of the cellar in the American League Central.

The Royals continue to improve their pitching staff, as they added former Boston Red Sox reliever John Schreiber on Saturday. This is another piece of the puzzle that the Royals are adding to turn around the club that lost 106 games last season.

The Royals are pushing all the right buttons to show that they want to win now and not later, and that is why they are trading top-five prospect David Sandlin (per ESPN's Kiley McDaniel) to acquire Schreiber. The Royals have spent over $100 million this offseason to continue to tinker with the roster through free agency and have locked up Bobby Witt Jr. to a long-term contract.

Royals trade prospect David Sandlin for John Schreiber
The Royals added Michael Wacha and Seth Lugo to the rotation, while they have added Will Smith, Chris Stratton and Nick Anderson to the bullpen. The bullpen was in shambles, and General Manager J.J. Picollo completely reworked his pitching staff and put the Royals in a position to compete for a playoff spot in 2024.

To make room for Schreiber on the 40-man roster, the Royals moved starter Kyle Wright to the 60-day injured list, as he is recovering from a shoulder injury that should sideline him for the entire 2024 season.

"“We’ve been trying to continue to address the bullpen, and we wanted somebody that’s been in some leverage situations before. Schreiber has done that in Boston,” Royals general manager J.J. Picollo said. “We’re still real happy with the reports, real happy with the data we have on him.”"

- Royals GM J.J. Picollo, Kansas City Star

The Royals surrendered minor-leaguer Sandlin to make the trade, who has been ranked as high as the fifth-best prospect in the Kansas City organization, but ranked 20th per Baseball America. For the 2024 campaign, though, this is clearly a trade that the Royals won, as Schreiber is a more than capable reliever who can come in to set up the closer in the seventh inning or go the rest of the way and earn a save.

If Schreiber can return to the form that he displayed in 2022 when he pitched in 64 games and had a very nice 2.22 ERA, he'll continue to aid the Royals' playoff push. Schreiber was dealing with injuries in 2023 and only made 46 appearances, but still had an ERA under four.

Schreiber is a high-leverage player who is under contract through the 2026 season. Hopefully, for KC, he sticks around through the second half and isn't dealt at the deadline to the eventual World Champions, a la Aroldis Chapman. This is supposed to be KC's year.

<
-- Bob Feller

AL Central 2024 forecast

The Twins won a lackluster race last year — and they’re primed for a repeat

G. SCOTT THOMAS

FEB 9, 2024

The American League Central staged an uninspiring race in 2023. The Minnesota Twins, the only club in the division to finish above .500, outdistanced their closest rival by nine games. The other four teams all suffered at least 84 losses, and two endured more than 100.

Look for more of the same in 2024. The Twins enter the year as solid favorites, according to my history-based prediction system.

My computer formula compared the three-year records (2021-2023) of all five AL Central clubs against the corresponding marks for 1,288 teams since the advent of free agency in 1976.

The aim was to identify the 50 closest matches for each current team — that is, the 50 clubs from the past whose three-year records essentially mirrored those of a given present-day member of the AL Central.

The subsequent performances of those 50 teams should — in theory — give us an idea of how each division member will play in the year ahead.

The 2021-2023 Twins, for example, were most closely matched by the 2016-2018 Rays. Tampa Bay went on to the playoffs in 2019 with a 96-66 record. That’s certainly a good sign for Minnesota.

Here’s how the Twins’ 50 closest matches (CMs) fared in their next seasons:

Topped .500: 30
Qualified for the playoffs: 14
Won the league title: 3
Won the World Series: 1

I assigned ascending scores to the four steps of this ladder — one point for exceeding .500 up to four points for a world title. That gives Minnesota a total of 71 points, the highest sum in the division.

Here are the predicted standings, based on each club’s collective score from its 50 CMs:

1. Minnesota Twins, 71 points
2. Cleveland Guardians, 49 points
3. Chicago White Sox, 35 points
4. Detroit Tigers, 32 points
5. Kansas City Royals, 11 points

Scroll down to see each team’s forecast, including its 2023 record, the combined performances of its 50 CMs, and specific breakdowns of the five matches that came the closest of all. Be sure to check the subsequent season for each CM. (These are the abbreviations: W indicates a World Series winner, L a league champion, and P a playoff qualifier.)

1. Minnesota Twins

2024 prediction points: 71
2023 record: 87-75 (.537, P)
Closest matches (CM): 50
Won World Series in next season: 1 of 50
Won league title in next season: 3 of 50
Qualified for playoffs in next season: 14 of 50
Topped .500 in next season: 30 of 50
CM #1: Rays (2016-2018) — 2019 record of 96-66 (.593, P)
CM #2: Royals (1992-1994) — 1995 record of 70-74 (.486)
CM #3: Rangers (1994-1996) — 1997 record of 77-85 (.475)
CM #4: Mets (1974-1976) — 1977 record of 64-98 (.395)
CM #5: Yankees (2013-2015) — 2016 record of 84-78 (.519)

2. Cleveland Guardians

2024 prediction points: 49
2023 record: 76-86 (.469)
Won World Series in next season: 0 of 50
Won league title in next season: 0 of 50
Qualified for playoffs in next season: 10 of 50
Topped .500 in next season: 29 of 50
CM #1: Royals (1981-1983) — 1984 record of 84-78 (.519, P)
CM #2: White Sox (2009-2011) — 2012 record of 85-77 (.525)
CM #3: White Sox (1995-1997) — 1998 record of 80-82 (.494)
CM #4: Royals (1993-1995) — 1996 record of 75-86 (.466)
CM #5: Tigers (1992-1994) — 1995 record of 60-84 (.417)

3. Chicago White Sox

2024 prediction points: 35
2023 record: 61-101 (.377)
Won World Series in next season: 1 of 50
Won league title in next season: 1 of 50
Qualified for playoffs in next season: 7 of 50
Topped .500 in next season: 14 of 50
CM #1: Braves (1983-1985) — 1986 record of 72-89 (.447)
CM #2: Cubs (2004-2006) — 2007 record of 85-77 (.525, P)
CM #3: Braves (2013-2015) — 2016 record of 68-93 (.422)
CM #4: Tigers (1993-1995) — 1996 record of 53-109 (.327)
CM #5: Pirates (1983-1985) — 1986 record of 64-98 (.395)

4. Detroit Tigers

2024 prediction points: 32
2023 record: 78-84 (.481)
Won league title in next season: 1 of 50
Qualified for playoffs in next season: 7 of 50
Topped .500 in next season: 15 of 50
CM #1: Reds (2017-2019) — 2020 record of 31-29 (.517, P)
CM #2: Blue Jays (1994-1996) — 1997 record of 76-86 (.469)
CM #3: Mariners (1985-1987) — 1988 record of 68-93 (.422)
CM #4: Rockies (2011-2013) — 2014 record of 66-96 (.407)
CM #5: Braves (1978-1980) — 1981 record of 50-56 (.472)

5. Kansas City Royals

2024 prediction points: 11
2023 record: 56-106 (.346)
Won league title in next season: 0 of 50
Qualified for playoffs in next season: 1 of 50
Topped .500 in next season: 9 of 50
CM #1: Padres (2001-2003) — 2004 record of 87-75 (.537)
CM #2: Expos (1999-2001) — 2002 record of 83-79 (.512)
CM #3: Devil Rays (1999-2001) — 2002 record of 55-106 (.342)
CM #4: Phillies (1995-1997) — 1998 record of 75-87 (.463)
CM #5: Pirates (2004-2006) — 2007 record of 68-94 (.420)

<
-- Bob Feller

Phillies sign veteran C Cam Gallagher

Originally posted on Field Level Media | Last updated 2/25/24

The Philadelphia Phillies signed catcher Cam Gallagher to a minor league contract on Sunday and invited him to major league spring training.

Gallagher, 31, has played seven major league seasons, appearing in 227 games for the Kansas City Royals (2017-22) and Cleveland Guardians (2023). Last season, he signed as a free agent with the Guardians and batted .126 in 143 at-bats over 56 games.

For his career, Gallagher is batting .211 with seven home runs, 33 doubles and 46 RBIs.

The Royals selected him in the second round of the 2011 MLB Draft out of Manheim Township High School in his native Lancaster, Pa.

<
-- Bob Feller

The Giants were spurned by J.D Martinez before landing Jorge Soler in free agency.

The San Francisco Giants got one of the better free agents in the 2024 class by taking Jorge Soler. Soler, who last played for the Miami Marlins, was given a three-year contract by the team in free agency. The intent behind the move is clear: add some much-needed power to an ailing batting lineup.

By Gerard Angelo Samillano

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:46 AM CST

Before taking Soler, though, the Giants took a stab at another power hitter. J.D Martinez, the hard-hitting outfielder of the Los Angeles Dodgers, was offered a one-year contract by the Giants, per Bob Nightengale. However, Martinez reportedly refused said offer.

“The San Francisco Giants offered DH J.D. Martinez a one-year, $14 million contract, which he rejected, seeking a two-year deal. The Giants then turned to Jorge Soler, signing him to a three-year, $42 million contract.”

Martinez was an elite power hitter for the Dodgers in 2023. He smashed 33 homers throughout the season, slugging .893 in the year. It's not like he was swinging and missing at a lot: he had a pretty good .273 BA as well. He would've been a great option for the Giants had he agreed to a one-year deal.

That being said, Soler is not a bad candidate at all to fill that role for the Giants. After a rough first season with the Marlins, Soler found his stride in 2023. He earned another All-Star award thanks to his power hitting (36 home runs and a .853 slugging percentage). It's the same power that helped the Braves win the World Series back in 2021, and earned him a World Series MVP. Soler was not retained by the Marlins after they did not take his qualifying offer. As a result, the Giants swooped in to take the former Braves star.

The Giants haven't had a player hit 30 home runs in a season since the great Barry Bonds back in 2004. With the league shifting away from small-ball and leaning into power, San Francisco has slowly fallen behind. Having an elite threat like Soler hitting bombs will surely open up more scoring opportunities for the Giants next season. Hopefully, this will be the key ingredient they need in order to get back into title contention.

<
-- Bob Feller