Re: Idle Chatter

Happy Birthday Gaylord-
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Re: Idle Chatter

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... ects-chat/

Jim Shonerd: Exciting year for the Cal League. Plenty of guys worth talking about. Let’s get to it.

@Jaypers413 (IL): Thanks for the chat, Jim. Had Mark Appel qualified, about where would you have ranked him here, taking his struggles at this level into account?
Jim Shonerd: Appel certainly would’ve made the list. My feel was to put him in the 11-13 range, though I’m sure that would’ve been much-discussed before we settled on anything. He was going to be very tough to peg. Obviously, no one in the Cal League saw him good, but he would’ve had to be on there by virtue of his stuff—fastball up to 97 and a plus slider.

Frankie (Oakland, CA): Seth Streich turned in one of the more dominant lines in this league. Does his projection not match up to his numbers?
Jim Shonerd: I would’ve loved to put Streich on there. He was tough to omit. But ultimately he’s more of a control guy than a stuff guy. Fastball is 88-92, might bump 94. Slider and changeup look good at times but aren’t really wipeout pitches. He throws a lot of strikes (no pun intended) and keeps the ball down though, and guys liked his aggressive style.

Scott (Saint Louis): How much better of a prospect would Brandon Drury be if he could be a second baseman rather than a third baseman. I heard that is why he is out in the AZ fall league. Thanks! Scott
Jim Shonerd: It’s hard to see him as a second baseman, based on what I heard from Cal League people. Guys wondered about his body type and athleticism, and that was for a third baseman, not a middle-infielder. He’s got the power and arm to profile at third, so that still sounds like his best fit.

Ben (Leland Grove): Does Urias project as a true #1 SP, in your opinion? Or is a #2-3 more realistic?
Jim Shonerd: I don’t like putting the “true No. 1″ label on any prospect, let alone an 18-year-old, but if everything comes together—if his fastball command becomes more consistent and his secondary stuff keeps developing—he could be that kind of guy. A No. 2 is certainly a more realistic expectation.

Grant (NYC): What led to Hader's omission? He appeared to have a breakout year, especially in the CAL.
Jim Shonerd: Hader was in the same boat as Streich—probably would’ve been ranked around 23-25 if we went that deep. His main thing is deception. His delivery reminds people of Chris Sale’s with how lanky his frame is and how he throws across his body. That helps his fastball play up, working at 88-93 mph, but there’s not really anything plus in his repertoire. His secondary stuff mostly gets 40 or 45 grades on the 20-80 scale. Some guys felt he could end up a reliever. Next year in Double-A should be pretty telling for his future.

Lisa (San Francisco, CA): Did any of San Jose's arms make a case for your list? If so, who came the closest?
Jim Shonerd: Chris Stratton would’ve been the most obvious candidate, but guys were underwhelmed with him. His 90-94 fastball got some above-average grades, and he’ll throw it to both sides of the plate, but his secondary stuff didn’t do much for people and he struggled to locate consistently.

Mike (San Diego, CA): Thoughts on SS Jose Rondon's playing in his new surroundings? Did the Padres get a steal in him?
Jim Shonerd: There are some things to like about Rondon—he’s got a feel for the strike zone and nice hands on defense. He just doesn’t do anything that really catches your eye though. He’ll use the whole field and is a good two-strike hitter—he did hit .322 after all—but he really doesn’t drive the ball, and his range and arm strength are solid-average but not flashy.

Roy (Indiana): How Close Did Enrique Burgos come to the list. I was very impressed with his velocity in 2013 and his control improved dramatically this year?
Jim Shonerd: Burgos throws gas, there’s no ignoring that, but he wasn’t really a candidate here. His control was still a major issue for scouts. He did lower his walk rate considerably, but his 4.28 BB/9 this year isn’t exactly pretty, either.

Rio Ruiz (Behind Jim Shonerd): How did I miss out here, Jim? Did my defense knock me off the list? That's the only thing I can possibly think of.....
Jim Shonerd: Ruiz was literally the final cut from the list. He’d be No. 21. Defense was a part of it—he’s good but not great—but the issue was more about his power. He has quick hands and a knack for the barrel, but there were questions about whether he’ll have profile power for a third baseman. Might be more of a 15-20 homer guy than 20-plus.

Craig (Ohio): Interesting Bakersfield prospects. Were Seth Mejias-Brean or sebastian Elizalde seriously considered. What were the thoughts of observers who saw Guillon in the league?
Jim Shonerd: Mejias-Brean got some support. Athletic defender with a strong arm, and he really worked to shorten his swing, which helped his power production.

Fonz (Milwaukee): What was the buzz on Patrick Kivelhan? Does he profile as an everyday player in MLB (for a few years anyway)?
Jim Shonerd: Kivlehan was out of the league by mid-May, so there wasn’t time for him to make many lasting impressions. But, he shows a feel for making adjustments and barreling balls despite an unusual style that one manager comped to Kevin Youkilis.

Grant (NYC): Did Chad Pinder get any love for your list?
Jim Shonerd: I like Pinder, although he wasn’t especially close to this top 20. He’s got a nice feel at the plate and stays inside balls well, showing occasional power. It took him some time to get comfortable at second base but he made some nice strides there as well.

@Jaypers413 (IL): Was Tom Windle considered for this list, and does he best project as a SP or RP to those you spoke to?
Jim Shonerd: Windle did get some mentions. A couple guys thought he was right there with Chris Anderson, actually. He could do either role. He doesn’t have an overpowering fastball at 88-93 but has a good downward angle, and guys liked how aggressively he attacks hitters. Doesn’t really have a plus secondary pitch, but it’s a deep-enough repertoire to be a No. 4-type starter.

Brian (Ohio): Of all the promising Reds prospects, do you think Lively has the soonest ETA among them? Could he potentially see time in the Reds rotation in 2015 if he continues to progress?
Jim Shonerd: Lively pitched pretty well in Double-A after his promotion, so that could put him on track to make it to Cincinnati in the second half of 2015 if he keeps performing.

Kelly (Saint Cloud, MN): What grade would you give this list on the 20-80 scale, and does this top last year's list?
Jim Shonerd: I’ll give it a 60. It blows last year’s list out of the water, so maybe that’s causing me to inflate that grade a bit.

Brian (Ohio): I'm not really arguing the ranking or the scouting report, but how does a player like Teoscar Hernandez perform so well while having poor instincts and poor pitch recognition? I know AA is where players tend to show their true colors, but seeing a player perform this while in Hi A, even if it is a hitters league, is a lot different than seeing someone considered 'raw' tear up short season ball. How raw can he really be with this much success?
Jim Shonerd: He’s an excellent athlete, and his tools have allowed him to overcome his deficiencies in other areas, but he’ll be tested once he starts facing pitchers that really know what they’re doing. With as much as he chases balls, that’s something that could get exposed more as he moves up. There’s definitely some risk involved with him.

Ryan (San Diego): Curious to hear your thoughts on Hunter Renfroe's season. He really came on strong before promotion posting an impressive line for a guy in his first full year of pro ball...do you think he has what it takes to be an impact in the Majors?
Jim Shonerd: He’s got the pure tools to do it. He does need to be more under control at the plate though. Had one scout tell me he thought Renfroe looked overmatched in Double-A—that breaking balls ate him up at that level—so there are adjustments he’ll need to make.

Zach (Bay Area): What's your personal assessment of Matt Olson?
Jim Shonerd: Having done the A’s for the Prospect Handbook the last few years, I can’t help but compare Olson with Chris Carter. Big-time power. Lots of Ks. Lots of walks. Enough athleticism to get a shot at other positions but probably fits best at first base. Olson does have the advantage of being a lefty hitter unlike Carter, but other than that, I see a lot of parallels.

Jerry (Sacramento, CA): Did any of Modesto's roster make a case for your list? Thanks for the chat.
Jim Shonerd: David Dahl would’ve been the best bet but came up about 15 PAs short of qualifying. Rosell Herrera was probably the next best guy but he had a pretty underwhelming year—could dazzle at times but needs polish, and there were doubts about his future position.

Nate (Chicago): Jim, historically, do prospects get overrated after seasons in the Cal League? I have very specific examples in mind, like Brandon Wood, but not sure how this would compare to other leagues.
Jim Shonerd: We do try to be mindful of league context when evaluating prospects, although it’s an issue we have to deal with with every league that strongly favors hitters or pitchers (the PCL and FSL being other examples), not just the Cal League.

Prison Mike (Scranton): What kind of ceiling does Renato Nunez have? When he was 16 he was said to be best Venezuelan prospect since Miggy. Now he seems to have lost much of his luster. Are we talking about a league average 3B with a shot at above average production if everything clicks? Thanks
Jim Shonerd: He’s still a really good prospect. Probably not a perennial all-star, but still has the potential of being an impact guy. Putting any kind of label like that on 16-year-olds is setting them up to be disappointments.

Matt (Perris CA): How close was Zach Eflin making the top 20?
Jim Shonerd: Eflin was on some of my earlier iterations of the list but ultimately didn’t make the cut. His supporters liked his physicality and strikethrowing ability, but his stuff likes more like that of a back-of-the-rotation guy—could have three average pitches but might not be anything plus.

Jerry (California): I look at guys composure on the mound as well as their stuff. What is your opinion of Dodgers Chris Anderson and his composure and sometimes lack thereof possibly slowing his progress?
Jim Shonerd: The Rancho coaching staff really impressed upon him that you don’t have to strike everybody out—just execute a fastball down in the zone and save yourself some pitches. He finished the season really well, looking like he was figuring things out. And I heard good things about his work ethic as well.

Jim Shonerd: Ok, that’ll do it for me. Thanks for all the questions, and feel free to hit me up on twitter @jimshonerdBA. We’ll have the Carolina League for you tomorrow.