Re: Idle Chatter

J.R. wrote:Unbelievable!

TV Anchor Duped into Airing Obviously Fake Pilot Names is a Teachable Moment

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/tv ... le-moment/

I never pretend to be "politically correct." Having spent 12 years in exile in The Bay Area of California and catching up often on places where I and mine live/lived, I saw that one near real time.

This past weekend morning, I beckoned (old school) my wife to join me in my office for the KTVU rapid replay. She suffered with me through the internet commercial, and then laughed her arse off with me as she saw the airing.

OK, I get it. Three people died to date, and of course it was a miracle many more did not.

Sorry, but I can still laugh about the airing.

I walked into a Country Western store here in Florida today. We have a couple local county concerts coming up, and I wanted timely garb for attendance.

The girl attendant with amazing raven hair approached and I cowered and offered, "I bet you are told multiple times each day how beautiful your hair is?"

"Yes, I am," she appropriately offered.

Damn, her flowing auburn hair was amazing.

I bought every hat, shirt, belt she told me she thought looked good on me.

I did not share with my wife the possible inspirations, but my wife liked the shirt and hat and belt tonight as we watched "Longmire."

We both get into era and place appreciation.

Greg Van Niel’s four-foul-ball day goes viral, helps coolness cred with daughter
Greg Van Niel shows off his haul to media Monday at Progressive Field.

Greg Van Niel is worldwide. Like, Bulgaria worldwide.

Van Niel told reporters Monday at Progressive Field that a friend in Bulgaria contacted him Sunday night, after Van Niel became an instant Internet celebrity after catching four foul balls during the Indians 6-4 win over Kansas City at Progressive Field.

“I don’t even think they know what a foul ball is there,” Van Niel said.

Chances are he’s known far beyond Bulgaria. After TribeVibe tracked down Van Niel late during Sunday’s game, he quickly morphed from a longtime Cleveland Indians Season Ticket Holder, Cleveland Heights resident and Progressive Insurance employee to a famous Tribe Season Ticket Holder with luck on his side.

The first came on a Lonnie Chisenhall liner, as Van Niel caught it with what he described as the same mitt he’s been carrying since the 1970s.

“People cheered, so it was a decent catch,” he said.

No. 2 was a popup by KC’s Alex Gordon that Van Niel said he thought might hit him in the head as he and his brother wrestled over it. “I thought, ‘Wow, two in one game?’”

The third came off the bat of Michael Bourn, and it hit off the façade. He had to go over two empty seats and landed in a now-infamous basket of cheese fries.

No. 4 – as the video shows – was the least acrobatic of the bunch, off the bat of Michael Brantley. Already with three, he tossed it to another fan – local attorney Dan Lindner – who joined Van Niel on Monday at the ballpark with his son, Chad.

Lindner gave Van Niel the fourth ball back, and in exchange got a Brantley signed ball.

“(Van Niel’s) first was a nice grab. The second one was nice,” Lindner said. “The third was a great grab. When he threw (the fourth one), I made a great grab too – but SportsCenter never catches that one!”

Van Niel, meanwhile, has been in high demand, thus the media gathering at Progressive Field. A group of about 20 media members attended, and Van Niel made multiple appearances on ESPN and also on CBC.

Was he nervous about appearing on national broadcasts?

“It’s bizarre,” he said. “My wife and daughter were watching it while I was upstairs doing the interview on phone. If some other guy had gotten four, I probably would have watched it. But because it’s me, it’s weird.”

Does his daughter think he’s any cooler now?

“I couldn’t be any cooler than I already was,” he said jokingly. “My daughter is ecstatic; she’s amazed that I’m not bouncing off the walls and nervous about all this stuff. She took the clipping to nature camp to show everyone.”

He said the closest he’d ever been to a foul ball was in Detroit at an Indians game, but to no avail. And for the record, he wanted to defend one aspect of his afternoon.

“There’s a lot of controversy about whether guys over 13 should bring your mitt,” Van Niel said. “I’m bringing my mitt. The ball’s coming back at me at 90mph. My wife is an occupational therapist. She sits at the game and (after guys try to barehand the ball) she says, ‘that guy needs therapy, that guy needs therapy.’ Without the mitt, wouldn’t have caught the first three.

–TribeVibe contributor Joel Hammond

Crap! I probably more than tripled that number in the old, damp, dingy, and nearly empty Municipal Stadium when I was a youngster. I remember going to the hot dog stand with my uncle to ask for a couple of empty boxes for the baseballs.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

I cheated! Only one ball came close about 5 seats away. Hit my glove but got away. I did retrieve it though.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

O man! It was just awesome! I took 3-24 mile trips down the river lasting about 8 hours each (includes fishing time). Not a cloud in the sky for 4 of the 5 days. I'm so tanned, I look like an Indian for real.
-- Bob Feller

Darkstar wrote:I've missed some of the early episodes of this season, but Longmire is a great show.

Still, though, I have a hard time imagining you dressed up like a "dude", although I'm sure Mrs. TFiSC(wC)(nF) makes a fine looking "dudette".
I've got the waist line under control now, fellow "dude."

I've worked my arse off on it at the gym for several months. I went from 36 to 34 and now to 32, and these 32 waist Buffalo Jeans are now requiring a pull of the belt to keep up.

I told my wife while we were living in the cool climes of the San Francisco Bay Area that if we ever got to a "hot clime" I could easily whip my self into respectable shape.

Thus far, she believes.

Two days ago at our gym a perhaps 30's girl saw me on the power tower and said, "you are in wonderful shape, and look no where near your 40 years."

Your abs are looking good!

I didn't offer that I have age 60 in sight. And that I had not noticed my abs in years.

I DID go out and buy a power tower today to keep in my garage for daily use.

Girls in their 30's, I guess, rule in latest demographic research.

Tribe Fan in SC/Cali wrote:Girls in their 30's, I guess, rule in latest demographic research.
One must appeal to the target audience. Congrats on the improved waistline.

Skinny or not, I still can't picture you as a cowboy. I think my memory must be fuzzy from the Saloon!

Darkstar wrote:
Tribe Fan in SC/Cali wrote:Girls in their 30's, I guess, rule in latest demographic research.
One must appeal to the target audience. Congrats on the improved waistline.

Skinny or not, I still can't picture you as a cowboy. I think my memory must be fuzzy from the Saloon!

I love horses, Dude.

I bet on them, and I ride them. I was pissed when I had my left achillles reconstructed and needed a "leg up" to get in the saddle for a few seasons.

I hit the gym and no longer needed a "leg up."

I love horses. I really do. I've had mountain rides, and beach and surf rides. If I think the horse is uncomfortable or afraid at any moment at any step along the way, I dismount and talk the horse through it.

That works for me.

Terry Francona allows drinking in the locker room during the real time game. At least he did in Boston.

And Mark Shapiro hired him.

Here is something I do not get.

Perhaps, Rusty might want to chime in as the seasoned golfer he claims to be, though my changing moderated posting status leaves me suspect as to ever seeing his words.

I was following the latest PGA golf tournament in the past 24 hours and found one Tiger Woods was, in like, 10th place.

Out of OVER HUNDRED PGA golfers who were not all that far behind him in the tournament.

Yet, The ESPN boards led with the story of "Where is Tiger?"

Screwing women who are not his wife
was my immediate personal answer, based on prior behavior documented in sports mags.

Why when there are triple digit golfers in I guess each tournament before the cut, and still high double digit after the cut for the final rounds....why do we only get lead stories about Tiger Woods with all those other pro golfers still in contention?

Another horrible Cleveland Indians loss is canceled out by watching some CMT and PBS.

Willie Nelson and his choreographed 80th birthday on "Crossroads" on CMT.

I actually watched Willie Nelson in person on his "real" 80th birthday here in Southwest Florida and I can assure Sheryl Crow was no where in the house as she cleansed herself somewhere with one or two sheets of bathroom tissue.

(does anyone here need an explanation on THAT one? I used to think this was a more brainy crowd......lately, I am not so sure)

Now we have Tim McGraw on PBS with an Austin City Limits repeat.....

"I might have a reckless streak, but I'm a real good Man."

Tug McGraw's late Dad in his World Series stardom of the year was one of my fave baseball seasons ever.