Re: Cleveland Cavaliers

Ohio.com > Sports > Cleveland Cavaliers >
Jason Lloyd’s Twitter mailbag: Gauging the playoffs, Luol Deng’s value and possible free agents

Published: February 22, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Jason Lloyd: Cavaliers have plenty of work ahead to make the postseason

Do you think that 35 wins is good enough for the 8th seed? And do you think the Cavs are good enough to get 35? 
@jaysizzel16

It’s going to be tough. As I outlined in today’s column, the Cavs’ upcoming schedule is brutal. Even if they get to 35, I don’t think that’ll be good enough to make the playoffs. They’re going to need a couple more than that.

What do you think is fair offer for Luol Deng given his history and market? Will the Cavs way over-offer to keep him? 
@LastGreatPoet

I think a fair offer for Deng is somewhere in the neighborhood of three years for $39 million. Whether or not he accepts that remains to be seen, but I have a hard time believing he’ll get more than that this summer on the open market. Deng has made it clear he isn’t happy with the front office shakeup and he wants to know who will be running this franchise long term before committing to them. Ultimately Deng will be looking for money and the Cavs will have it to spend. I’d say right now it’s 50/50 he’s back next season.

If Granger gets bought out by Philly, would the Cavs have any interest in signing him? @jordanL14

Any shot cavs make run at Granger if bought out by Sixers? @i_am_216

Any idea what Cavs will do with open roster spot? @hiramboyd

Will we pick up Daniel Gibson and Danny Granger? Both would be great additions to the Cavs family. 
@SUPERBOWLDAWG

Would the Cavs sign Ben Gordon if he’s bought out? @Dan_The_Man10

There sure was a lot of interest in Danny Granger among Cavs fans. Unfortunately, the feeling probably isn’t mutual. The Cavs already filled their open roster spot by signing Arinze Onuaku to a 10-day contract. Onuaku was already with the Charge, so the Cavs may have caught wind that another team was going to sign him, so they signed him first.

It’s no guarantee that Onuaku finishes the year in Cleveland, however, and I’d suspect they may shuffle through a few guys on a 10-day deals for the rest of the season.

As for Granger, Gordon, etc … those guys will draw interest from teams much closer to a title looking for one more re-enforcement. And despite what Daniel Gibson is saying, I’d suspect he is retired.

Why do the Cavs still not use a consistent rotation? @sanduskyedubs

Injuries can be blamed for part of it. Beyond that, Mike Brown has maintained he has the right to juggle lineups/rotations just based on the Cavs’ poor record and inconsistent play. I’d like to see him stick with guys a little longer at times, but Brown coaches by “gut” and “feel” more than others.

Any word if Griffin is going to be the GM going into next season and beyond or will we try to hire another after the season? @fab5phil

The Cavs have quietly reached out to at least one candidate, but right now Dan Gilbert wants to give Griffin the rest of this season to show what he can do. There’s only two months left, a little more if the Cavs slip into the playoffs. Ownership doesn’t want Griffin looking over his shoulder or dealing with rumors during the season. A decision will be made after the season.

You’ve been reluctant to criticize the coaching and ownership this year. Was it to secure a sit down with Gilbert? 
@NickyRubenstein

Absolutely not. I don’t think the problem with this team is coaching, I’ve said that all along. The problems this season were more because of the effort level from the players. When they were engaged, communicating and playing hard, they won six in a row. The coaching changed slightly during the win streak, but the overwhelming change was the players’ effort.

As for Gilbert, I said I disagreed with Grant’s firing and I thought Gilbert buckled to public pressure to make a move. Not sure what else you’d like me to criticize when this ownership group gives the front office unlimited funds to turn this team around.

Last night begged the comparison of Tristan Thompson and Jonas Valanciunas. Without an outside shot or size or D, is Thompson at his ceiling? @yearofdan

I don’t think it’s fair to declare that any 22-year-old has reached his ceiling. Thompson, remember, switched shooting hands last summer and has handled that adjustment well. As he gets more comfortable shooting right-handed, I think Thompson can develop more range. He’ll never be a stretch 4, but a ferocious rebounder with range out to 12 or 14 feet isn’t too bad.

Any chance hawes fits into cavs plans after this year? Sign him to long term deal? @5bigal

I haven’t really checked on this specifically, but I’d suspect he’s a two-month rental. The Cavs already have Anderson Varejao and Tyler Zeller under contract for next season.

Achilles injury may have influenced teams against trading for Luol Deng
Brett Pollakoff Feb 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Leave a comment
Jimmy Butler, Luol Deng
AP
It became clear shortly after Luol Deng arrived in Cleveland that his stay with the team wouldn’t extend beyond this season.

Deng was reportedly shocked by the internal chaos going on with the Cavaliers, so much so that any chance of him re-signing there as an unrestricted free agent this summer completely disappeared once he saw the inner workings of the franchise.

Cleveland realized this, and worked furiously to try to get something in return for Deng in trade before the deadline passed. But Deng’s reluctance to agree to an extension with a new team, along with a lingering Achilles injury left the Cavaliers without any takers.

From Bob Finnan of the News-Herald (via HoopsHype):

Deng has rebuffed all talk about an extension with the Cavs, and might want to sign with a contending team in free agency. Since coming to the Cavs, he looks like he’s either lost much of his explosion and athleticism he once had or his Achilles is worse than he is letting on.

And from Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News:

We’re surprised the Cavs did not move Luol Deng. He’ll be gone on July 1, no later than a minute past midnight, and despite an Achilles injury that prevents him from practicing on most days, he’ll be high on everyone’s free-agent list. The Mavs, Lakers, Celtics, Magic and Charlotte are all interested. Why not stay in Cleveland? Kyrie Irving doesn’t make players around him better and Dion Waiters is a me-first player.

That’s two independent sources that mention Deng’s Achilles, and it isn’t a coincidence. The fact that he isn’t practicing and that his game has suffered recently can’t be discounted, because there are plenty of teams that could have benefited from the addition of Deng for the remainder of the season in exchange for a draft pick in the future.

But that’s Deng at 100 percent, not the current version that’s been wildly up and down in recent weeks. And with draft picks at an all-time high, no one was willing to part with one for nothing more than a half-season rental of Deng’s inconsistent services.

NBA Beat: Early free-agency buzz centered on Deng
Sam Amico

FOX Sports Ohio

FEB 24, 2014 7:57p ET

With the trading deadline behind us, NBA executives have set their sights on one of three things (or in some cases, all):

1. The playoffs.

2. The draft.

3. Free agency.

The hottest name in that third category is none other than Cleveland Cavaliers small forward Luol Deng.

It's true that brighter stars, such as LeBron James (Miami Heat) and Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks), will again test the market. But most execs seem to feel Deng falls under the category of "most really, really available."

The reasons for that are many. For one, Deng had it good with the Chicago Bulls, where he spent the first nine years of his career. He performed very well in the first 23 games with them this year -- averaging a career-high 19.0 points on 45 percent shooting for a winning team.

Since coming to the Cavs in January (21 games), Deng's averages have dipped to 15.1 and 41 percent, respectively, for a team that now appears to be a long shot for the postseason.

Cavs coach Mike Brown readily admits individual numbers tend to decrease in his system. That's usually fine with players when things are going well. But guys tend to get cranky when they're in a contract year and their stats become worse on a sub-.500 team.

That appears to be Deng today.

Now, the Cavs will have to spend money on someone to be their small forward this summer. It might be Deng, it might be someone not even mentioned as being on the radar. Like most everyone else, they'll try to make a run at James (and perhaps Anthony). But Deng will undoubtedly be in the mix, too.

And while things aren't going well at the moment, that can change. League-wide execs seem to think either sudden success (such as a stretch run toward the playoffs), or other modifications to the roster or coaching staff, could help Deng remain a Cav. But that's the kicker: In order for Deng to stay in Cleveland, everything else must not stay the same, opposing execs believe.

Regardless of what happens with the Cavs, it is clear Deng will have plenty of suitors. He may even take less money to go to a winning environment, with organizations such as the San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks and even the fast-rising Charlotte Bobcats potentially getting involved.

Despite reports, Deng seems to enjoy playing alongside youngsters such as Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters. What he does not seem to enjoy, sources strongly suggested, is the system in which he plays -- mostly because it doesn't seem to be bringing out the best in anyone. Nor is it working, with the Cavs sitting at 22-35 and five games out of the final playoff spot with 25 to go.

What does it all mean?

It means the Cavs are faced with another offseason conundrum on what to do about the small forward spot. And, mostly, it means Deng will have plenty of options. He will explore every last one of them.

Free-Agent Files

A very early sampling of some of the biggest names in the NBA free-agent class of 2014:

-- LeBron James, Heat: Most execs feel James will either return to the Heat or shock everyone and aim for the ultimate redemption story by returning to the Cavs. The Heat, however, are believed to be way in front of everyone.

-- Carmelo Anthony, Knicks: New York is said to be Anthony's top priority, with the Los Angeles Lakers supposedly in the running. Although, according to one GM, it's hard to know if the Lakers are a real possibility or just wishful thinking on fan message boards.

-- Chris Bosh, Heat: It seems most GMs feel Bosh (and not Anthony) is the second biggest potential prize on the upcoming market. But if James goes back to the Heat, Bosh will, too. If not, the Lakers are secretly interested, sources said.

-- Dwyane Wade, Heat: The possibilities are endless with Miami, but the early scuttlebutt is James and Bosh will get the max, and the breaking-down Wade will take less. That's all speculation, of course, and even if true, Wade may feel differently if someone (read: the Bulls) overpays him based on what he once was.

-- Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks: Don't kid yourself into thinking he's coming to your city. He's going back to Dallas.

-- Pau Gasol, Lakers: Kobe Bryant is likely the only one who can convince Gasol to stay in LA. If not, Gasol would love a return to Memphis, but the Grizzlies aren't exactly big spenders.

-- Paul Pierce, Nets: If close pal Kevin Garnett retires, which is always a possibility, Pierce could wind up anywhere.

-- Luol Deng, Cavs: Most GMs think his landing spot is more wide open than anyone here. Every team with a winning record and some cash to spare (and the Cavs) are likely to be on Deng's radar.

Earl Clark - F/C - Knicks

The Knicks and free agent F Earl Clark are finalizing a contract agreement, according to Adrian Wojnarowski.
This confirms earlier reports about the Knicks' interest in Clark, whom New York wants for his defensive abilities.

He'll assume of the roster spots freed up by the departure of Metta World Peace and Beno Udrih. The Knicks may also have interest in signing free agent Dahntay Jones.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

How cool is a win over OKC?!?!?!?

Hawes is such a nice addition to this team. A completely different element.

A couple of drives (of all things) to the hole helped seal this game. If you come out to guard him against the 3, which you have to do, he has the ballhandling skills to go past big men.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Thunder coach Scott Brooks joked during pregame that he didn't like what he saw from Kyrie Irving at the All-Star game. Brooks coached the West and watched as Irving led the East to a comeback win on his way to earning MVP honors.

Brooks didn't like what he saw from Irving on Wednesday night, and it was no joke this time. The point guard made it look like All-Star weekend again, scoring 14 of his 31 points in the fourth quarter to help the Cleveland Cavaliers beat Oklahoma City 114-104.

Irving also had nine assists, five rebounds and four steals.

"Kyrie had a huge performance for us," Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said. "He was very efficient in the 43 minutes that he played tonight, I thought offensively, especially."

The young Cavaliers, still adjusting to roster changes since the trade deadline, picked up a meaningful victory. Cleveland shot 14 for 21 from the field in the fourth quarter against the Western Conference-leading Thunder.

"To come here and get a win in this building versus this team and those players and that coaching staff, for us, is a good confidence booster," Brown said. "Everything for us right now to be a positive will help us long term just as much as it will short term."

It was Oklahoma City's third straight home loss since the All-Star break. The Thunder lost three games at home the entire season before the break.

"No one in the locker room, including myself, feels good about it," Brooks said. "The exciting thing is we know we can do better. We just have to maximize our potential."

Jarrett Jack scored 21 points, Spencer Hawes scored 19 and Tristan Thompson added 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Cavaliers, who snapped a three-game losing streak.

Kevin Durant had 28 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists, Russell Westbrook had 24 points and nine assists and Serge Ibaka added 16 points and 13 rebounds for the Thunder. Oklahoma City is 0-3 since Westbrook returned from his latest knee surgery.

Brooks said the bigger issue for the Thunder is their suddenly porous defense. Oklahoma City, one of the league's top defensive teams all season, allowed 103 points on 55 percent shooting against Miami and 125 points on 52 percent shooting against the Los Angeles Clippers before its latest collapse.

"It's a defensive toughness," Brooks said. "We have to get tough on the basketball because we're giving up too much penetration. We have to fight through screens. These are things that we've done a great job at, we just have to get back to it."

In the closing seconds of the first half, Westbrook dribbled as the clock wound down, then pulled up in front of Irving and drained a 3-pointer to give the Thunder a 52-51 lead at the break.

The Thunder committed 12 turnovers in the first half, but made up for it by shooting 57 percent from the field. Durant scored 15 points before the break and Westbrook had 13 points and six assists. Irving had 14 points, four assists and three steals at halftime.

The Thunder opened the second half with 3s from Durant and Thabo Sefolosha to take a 58-51 lead. A mid-range jumper by Ibaka stretched Oklahoma City's lead to 62-53, leading Brown to call a timeout.

Cleveland regrouped and cut Oklahoma City's lead to three on an unusual play. The Cavaliers' Luol Deng shot a jumper and Nick Collison was called for goaltending and issued a technical foul for grabbing the net. Irving made the free throw to make it a 69-66 game. The Thunder led 76-72 at the end of the period.

"Oklahoma City, they came out and kind of punched us in the mouth a little bit in that third quarter, and our guys didn't panic," Brown said. "They kind of stayed with it."

Matthew Dellavedova tied the game at 81 with a floater early in the fourth quarter. Later, a breakaway dunk by Alonzo Gee gave the Cavaliers a 90-86 edge with 7:10 to play.

Durant's 3-pointer gave the Thunder a 97-95 lead, but the Cavaliers responded with an 8-0 run, highlighted by 3-pointers from Jack and Irving, and they controlled the game from there.

"Obviously, playing against a great team, you're going to get up for it," Irving said. "Everyone in the league wants to play against a great team like this, especially on their home floor. But this game doesn't mean any more than any other game that we have coming up. Every game just means a lot at this point, no matter who we're playing."

Game notes

It was the second consecutive start for Thunder C Steven Adams. He replaced Kendrick Perkins, who is out for six weeks with a groin injury. ... Hawes started for the second time since being traded from Philadelphia. ... Durant was honored during pregame for being selected as the Western Conference player of the month for January. ... Thunder G Derek Fisher was issued a technical foul early in the second quarter, his third of the season.

Noting that Bennett now generally as well, or as poorly, as your run of the mill NBA player, I did some checking for some Cavs shooting comparisons:

Bennett for the season 33.7% since December 1 37.2% since Feb 1 44.2%
Jarrett Jack for season 39.3% since January 1 35.1%
Luol Deng as a Cavalier 39.5% since the All Star Game 34.1%
Alonza Gee for season 37.5% since December 1 31.2%
Dellapodova for season 39.0% since January 1 32.3%

These guys could play a real boring game of H-O-R-S-E