Re: General Discussion

Here's the answer from the Articles folder:

The $50 million pool will be divided into two groups. The biggest dollars will go to players who have Vladdy-like seasons, based on award voting. Then the remaining dollars will be paid out based on a Wins Above Replacement formula that is still being crafted. Here’s the breakdown.

• $2.5 million to MVPs or Cy Young winners who aren’t eligible for arbitration.

• $1.75 million to MVP/Cy Young runners-up.

• $1.5 million to MVP/Cy Young third-place finishers.

• $1 million to MVP/Cy Young fourth/fifth-place finishers.

• $750,000 to rookies of the year.

• $500,000 to rookie of the year runners-up.

• $1 million to all-MLB first teamers, or $500,000 to all-MLB second teamers.

Then whatever money is left over gets divided among the top 100 pre-arbitration players, in a sliding scale based on a WAR formula that will be agreed on by July 1.

Guardians Acquire David Fry From Brewers

By Tommy Wild | Last updated 3/13/22

Last November the Cleveland Guardians traded J.C. Mejia to the Milwaukee Brewers for a player to be named later. That trade was completed today with David Fry being sent to the Guardians. The 26-year-old catcher and utility player was selected by the Brewers in the seventh round of the 2018 draft out of Northwestern State University. Fry has spent three years in minors and has yet to make his MLB debut.

In the 2021 Minor League season, Fry split his time between AA Biloxi and AAA Nashville posting a .797 OPS. Over his three-year Minor League career at the plate, Fry has hit .269 with 41 HR and 173 RBI over 291 games.

Although he is listed as a catcher, Fry has seen action at almost every position in the field. Fry demonstrated this versatility in 2021 appearing at a total of six different positions (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF).

It is still unclear what role and position the Guardians are envisioning for Fry, but he has certainly shown potential at the plate. If his plate production picks up, Fry's field versatility could make him a valuable utility player at the Major League level. The Guardians could also be looking to bolster their backup catcher position after losing Roberto Perez to the Pirates before the lockout. These plans will become more clear as Fry is expected to report to Minor League camp in the coming days.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Pretty exciting news; and that's not all, they also signed catcher Luke Maile says MLB.com, claiming he signed a $900000 major league contract which is interesting since they already have a full roster. These two significant additions will give veteran backups to Naylor and Lavastida in AA and AAA and provide competition to Sandy Leon to back up Hedges.

All they need now a bunch of outfielders and a vet or two in the bullpen but first things first.

Jays traded for Matt Chapman for 3B

Allegedly the G's wanted Gabriel Moreno and Alek Manoah for him.

Very steep price - Olson was cheaper.

So it seems unlikely they'd be still interested after the Chapman trade.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Manager Terry Francona said Rosario will split time between shortstop and left field this season, Paul Hoynes of The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

Rosario was primarily a shortstop last season, but Cleveland's prospect pool is deep at that position, whereas there's no clear everyday starter across the outfield yet.

In 2021, Rosario slashed a solid .282/.321/.409 with 13 stolen bases, 11 home runs, 57 RBI and 77 runs scored in 141 games while often hitting near the top of the order. Those numbers play better as a shortstop, but it was the second-best season of his career.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

civ - they really liked the Straw/Rosario combo at the 1 and 2 slot last year.

Straw got on quite a bit and needless to say has great speed. Rosario handles the bat really well and fits as a traditional #2 type hitter.

Really it's an old school #1 and #2 lineup.

But last year it worked well with Jose then Franmil after them. It's the rest of that lineup that could use fixing.

We all know the options at SS and if Rosario can fill in for LF and #2 slot then it does solve some situations.

civ ollilavad wrote:I wouldn't think they will switch him back and forth from SS to LF during the season, allowing a LH/RH platoon of Kwan and one of the numerous SS candidates, although I guess it's possible
Chris Taylor. Scott Fletcher. Remember Ben Zobrist? Kris Bryant even. Positional flexibility is really common, especially these days. So it wouldn't surprise me if he played primarily LF actually with fill ins at SS and other positions.