Re: General Discussion

Yeah well they are still very close in these discussions. The actual terms of these negotiations are close.

Evidently MLB hasn't hit their quota for missed games yet. And the union doesn't want to "look bad".

So on paper this is almost done. It's not about that.

It's about "one upping" at this point. Looking like you won.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Recent from Ken Rosenthal:

Among remaining issues:
• Prearb pool, both amount (MLB last known: 40, PA: 65) & whether grows annually
• Minimum salary ($10k gap, 700 vs 710)
• Luxury tax accounting—what forms of spending count in CBT. Complicated but important
• Amateur draft bonus pool growth/structure
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Latest MLB proposal, per source:

Luxury-tax thresholds - $230M to $244M over course of five-year deal. (increase of $2M in final year from last offer)

Pre-arb pool: $50M (increase of $10M)

Minimum salaries, $700K to $780K. (increase of $10K in final year)

3 p.m. “deadline.”

ROB MANFRED
COM, MLB

Travis Sawchik of The Score reports that the new Wild-Card format will feature best-of-three rounds before the League Divisional Series.

In the case of MLB and the MLBPA: With 12 teams now making the postseason -- up from 10 under the old format -- the Wild-card round will see the top two teams getting a bye, and the four teams that play will see a best-of-three format to advance to the LDS. Because of the new format, there will be no more tie-breaking games. If two teams tie with the same record, the berth will be determined by formulas similar to the NFL or NBA.

Zack Buchanan of The Athletic reports that there will be no Rule 5 Draft in 2022.
It's not a surprise, as ESPN's Kiley McDaniel and Jeff Passan had reported that the event was on thin ice due to the lockout. The draft that everyone loves should be back in 2023, and since service-time rules haven't changed, it will be same as it ever was.

Housekeeping: MLB is calling March 13, which is Sunday, a mandatory spring training report date, except for players with visa issues, who will have more time. Regular season goes three days later than originally planned. Other games made up as doubleheaders. Opening Day April 7.

MLB can implement rule changes now with a 45-day notice — meaning, in a single offseason — rather than the prior one year’s notice. There will be a committee to discuss rules w/6 league appointees, 4 player appointees, and 1 umpire. (League has more votes, so, MLB has the power.)

So do I understand that none of those rule changes, like banning shifts are taking place?
And that we are back to 18 innings of baseball on DH days [I liked the 7 inning games, didn't ruin pitching staffs] and no more automatic runners? don't think I cared for that one, but it also eased the burden on bullpens.

There is now a limit of in-season demotions and promotions; anyone see what it is? [talking to you TFIR]

And I guess the 3-batter limit for relievers stays? reducing the appeal of lefties in the pen

It's 5

Some final details of a CBA where players made some notable gains:
• Pre-arb bonus pool at $50m
• Min salary: $700k, $720k, 740k, $760k, $780k
• CBT: $230m-$244m
• Draft lottery at 6 picks
• Universal DH
• Amateur draft is 20 rounds
• Player can be optioned 5 times per yr