Re: General Discussion

The Guardians have promoted Joe Torres to assistant pitching coach.

Torres, who is entering his seventh season in the organization, had been minor league pitching coordinator. He's replacing Ruben Niebla, who left to become the Padres' pitching coach.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that Major League Baseball requested the immediate assistance of a federal mediator on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that the league will not make he counter offer to the MLBPA two days after it said it would. "Under their request, the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service would help assist with the proceedings," Passan writes.

The two sides remain far apart on core economic issues including raising the minimum salary for players along with a way to help curb the manipulation of service time. While this could help speed the process along, it does speak to the lack of substantial progress in these negotiations.

It is also worth noting that the MLBPA will have to agree for the federal moderator's assistance. Spring training is scheduled to begin in less than two weeks.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

1. If the union does not accept a mediator then that's pretty lame.

2. As a union member often these mediators DO speed up the process. After all, what can it hurt for a 3rd party to view what is going on?