Re: Minor Matters

Tuesday lines:
CLE HiA #21 Doug Nikhazy, LHP 6.0 3 0 0 2 9 3.16 W (4-4) He's beginning to look good!
CLE AA #26 Carlos Vargas, RHP 0.0 4 4 3 1 0 L (3-3) He's not
CLE AAA #28 Xzavion Curry, RHP 3.2 7 8 6 3 2 3.96 Looked better in the majors
CLE HiA #31 Lenny Torres, RHP 0.2 2 3 3 2 1 7.39 A top draftee not developing after injury and rehab

CLE AAA #3 Brayan Rocchio, SS 6 1 3 1 0.267 E (19),
CLE AAA #4 George Valera, SS 5 0 1 0 0.261 2B (19),
CLE AAA #5 Gabriel Arias, SS 3 1 1 0 0.226 E (9),
CLE AAA #6 Nolan Jones, 3B 4 1 1 4 0.282 HR (6), BB (26), Back to Columbus
CLE AA #10 Angel Martinez, SS 3 0 0 0 0.288 2 BB (42),
CLE AA #11 Jose Tena, SS 5 0 2 3 0.266 2B (22),
CLE MAJ #13 Richard Palacios, 3 0 0 0 0.268
CLE AA #16 Bryan Lavastida, C 5 1 1 1 0.218 HR (7),
CLE LoA #17 Carson Tucker, SS 5 1 1 0 0.145 2B (3), E (5),
CLE HiA #18 Gabl Rodriguez, 3B 3 2 2 1 0.266 BB (33), SB (3),
CLE AA #20 Jhonkensy Noel, 3B 4 0 1 0 0.215 BB (35),
CLE AAA #24 Ernie Clement, 2B 5 1 1 0 0.208 E (7),
CLE MAJ #27 Steven Kwan, OF 3 1 0 0 0.295 BB (44),
CLE LoA #32 Isaiah Greene, OF 3 0 0 0 0.227 2 BB (85), Has anyone in baseball walked more?
CLE HiA #33 Milan Tolentino, 2B 5 0 0 0 0.276
CLE R #35 Jose Pastrano, 2B 5 0 1 1 0.237
CLE LoA #38 Yordys Valdes, SS 4 0 0 1 0.243 BB (33),
CLE AAA #39 Will Brennan, OF 5 1 2 2 0.307 BB (46),
CLE LoA #40 Jake Fox, SS 6 1 3 2 0.259 2B (19), HR (5),

MLB Pipeline: Cleveland Guardians have third-best farm system in baseball
by Steve DiMatteo17 hours ago Follow @steve_dimatteo

The prosect-rich just get richer, it seems, as the Cleveland Guardians now have the third-best farm system in baseball, according to MLB Pipeline. They’re currently ranked behind the Baltimore Orioles (#1) and Los Angeles Dodgers (#2).

It doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, given the Guardians currently have five players in MLB Pipeline’s list of the top 100 prospects in the game: Daniel Espino (#16), George Valera (#32), Gavin Williams (#56), Brayan Rocchio (#72), and Bo Naylor (#78).

Here is what MLB Pipeline had to say about the current state of Cleveland’s farm system:

The Guardians excel at signing talented young hitters and helping pitchers take their stuff to another level. José Ramírez and Shane Bieber are the best big league examples, and all five of their Top 100 Prospects fall into one of those two categories. The system should make a huge impact in Cleveland shortly, with 13 of its 15 best prospects having reached Double-A or higher.

We’ve certainly talked at length here about the current state of the Guardians’ organization, and how exciting a time it is to be a fan, but it bears repeating. The last few years, the farm system has been ranked in the mid-teens, but with so much talent beginning to reach the higher levels and the majors, the Guardians are really beginning to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

From top-to-bottom, Cleveland has built a world-class organization that is no doubt the envy of many other teams around the league.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Top 50 MLB prospects: Jordan Walker, Zac Veen top Jim Bowden’s rankings
Jim Bowden
Aug 25, 2022

Save Article
With the minor-league season winding down, it’s time to update my top-50 ranking of the best prospects in baseball. I love this annual exercise and relish the opportunity to assess the game’s top young talent.

My list often differs from other publications’ rankings. I’ve always just called it the way I see it. I don’t go by industry consensus nor do I compare my list with those of other outlets. This is simply my evaluation based on what I’ve seen in person and/or via video.

Analyzing players and debating about them remain fun parts of our game, whether you’re in a major-league board room, like I was for more than a quarter century, or in your living room at home. Disagreements are normal, among both professional evaluators and fans, so I welcome your feedback in the comments section.

Here is my list of the top-50 MLB prospects at this moment. (Note: Players promoted to the major leagues before this week were not eligible for this list.)

Stats are updated through Aug. 23. Players’ minor-league level as of Aug. 24 is listed in parentheses. Jim Bowden’s scouting grades are based on the 20-80 scale, in which 20-30 is well below average, 40 is below average, 50 is average, 60 is above average and 70-80 is well above average. PWR denotes Power; FLD: Fielding; FB: Fastball; CB: Curveball; CH: Changeup; SLI: Slider; CTL: Control; CMND: Command.)

Jordan Walker (John E. Moore III / Getty Images)
1. Jordan Walker, 3B/OF, Cardinals (Double A)
Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 6-5 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 70 RUN: 45 ARM: 55 FLD: 45

An incredible athlete for his size, Walker has few holes at the plate, which is difficult to achieve for a young player with a large frame. He has electric bat speed with lofting power to all fields and profiles to develop into a 30 to 40 home run hitter (per season). Walker also looks like a .300 hitter who could become a .400 on-base percentage standout. He is so talented he could play third base, first base, right field or left field — wherever the Cardinals have a need. Don’t be surprised if Walker makes it to St. Louis this season; if not, he’ll be there on Opening Day next year, and I predict he will be the National League Rookie of the Year in 2023. He’s a superstar in the making.

2. Zac Veen, OF, Rockies (Double A)
Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6-4 Weight: 190
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 55

Veen put on a show in batting practice at the Futures Game in July, peppering line drives everywhere and displaying standout power to all fields, especially in the gaps, with remarkable backspin on his blasts. He can steal bases at will, racking up 53 in 59 attempts this season. I believe Veen will be a 30-homer, 40-steals type player once he arrives at Coors Field. He’s the next Rockies superstar.

3. Diego Cartaya, C, Dodgers (High A)
Height: 6-3 Weight: 219
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 60 RUN: 35 ARM: 65 FLD: 55

Cartaya is the best overall catching prospect in baseball now that Adley Rutschman is thriving in the majors with the Orioles. The 20-year-old makes loud and consistent sweet-spot contact with his electric bat speed. That bat has tremendous opposite-field home run power, too. Defensively, Cartaya has soft hands and is an above-average framer. He has the arm strength to control the running game but needs to improve on blocking balls. Mike Scioscia, who managed the NL team at the Futures Game, told me that day during batting practice that Cartaya reminded him of a cross between Buster Posey and Salvador Perez. That means something coming from Scioscia, who has never been the type to exaggerate when evaluating players.

4. Corbin Carroll, CF, Diamondbacks (Triple A)
Bats: L Throws: L
Height: 5-10 Weight: 165
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 50 RUN: 70 ARM: 55 FLD: 60

Don’t let Carroll’s small frame fool you. He has a chance to develop into the best leadoff hitter in the game. Nothing he does is below average. He is a plus defender in center field who gets good jumps and reads and features a plus arm. He is an above-average hitter with plus-plus speed and surprising power for his size. Carroll looks like a can’t-miss future All-Star. His short, compact swing reminds me of Jose Altuve’s, but a left-handed version.

Gunnar Henderson (Jayne Kamin-Oncea / USA Today)
5. Gunnar Henderson, 3B/SS, Orioles (Triple A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 210
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 50 ARM: 70 FLD: 50

I love Henderson’s bat and his ability to hit the ball gap-to-gap as well as 20 rows back to the pull side. He looks like he could hit 50 doubles and 25 home runs and contend for a batting title someday in the majors. Henderson played well at third base during the Futures Game and made a great tag on Carroll on a stolen-base attempt. The Orioles will probably make Henderson a third baseman for the long term, but he could stay at shortstop, like Corey Seager has for the Rangers, if that’s what they want. He is ready for the majors and could get the call any minute.

6. Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Orioles (Triple A)
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 50 SLI: 60 CH: 70 CTL: 60 CMND: 55

The best pitching prospect in baseball, Rodriguez is armed with a special, four-pitch repertoire that includes a triple-digit fastball, a wipeout slider and one of the best changeups in the minor leagues, with late deceptive dive. He has the arsenal to win a Cy Young Award someday and is projected to be the Orioles’ ace for years to come. Rodriguez hasn’t pitched in a game since June 1 after suffering a right lat strain, but he is expected back before the end of the season.

7. Robert Hassell III, OF, Nationals (Double A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 195
Scouting Grades: HIT: 65 PWR: 50 RUN: 55 ARM: 55 FLD: 55

Hassell can flat-out hit. He hits line drives to all fields with a quick, short stroke. That’s why he slashed .299/.379/.467 at High A in the Padres organization this season, and I think those types of numbers will eventually translate to the big leagues, though he’s struggled at the plate at High A and Double A with the Nationals organization since the Juan Soto trade. Hassell has only 10 home runs this season, but I believe the power will come. He reminds me of Christian Yelich at this stage of his career. Yelich put up a similar slash line early on but his power appeared later, and I think that will happen with Hassell, too. I like his bat more than most pundits.

8. Druw Jones, OF, Diamondbacks (Rookie-ball)
Height: 6-4 Weight: 180
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 65 RUN: 70 ARM: 65 FLD: 70

Jones is the five-tool outfielder who does everything above average: hit, hit for power, run, field and throw. An elite defender in center field, he is arguably the best defensive outfielder in the most-recent draft class, with special range in all directions and a strong arm. He’s a future Gold Glove winner, like his dad, Andruw, who won 10. His pro career got off to an unfortunate start when he suffered a shoulder injury in his first batting practice with the Diamondbacks organization, but it’s not expected to significantly affect him long term. Jones has shown he can hit high velocity and stay back on off-speed pitches. I think he’ll develop 25-home run power and probably end up as an average or slightly above-average major-league hitter in terms of batting average and on-base percentage.

9. Jackson Holliday, SS, Orioles (Low A)
Height: 6-1 Weight: 175
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 60 ARM: 55 FLD: 55

Holliday has a special hit tool and baseball instincts, just like his father, Matt Holliday, a seven-time All-Star. He shortened his swing considerably this past spring, which has led to consistent sweet-spot contact with barrel awareness. Holliday, the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft, has the raw power to develop into a 20-home run bat. He will be able to remain at shortstop defensively. He made great strides physically in the past year, adding significant strength, speed, flexibility and power.

Jordan Lawlar (Norm Hall / Getty Images)
10. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Diamondbacks (Double A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 190
Scouting Grades: HIT: 70 PWR: 55 RUN: 60 ARM: 60 FLD: 55

I had Lawlar at the top of my board for the 2021 MLB Draft, when he went No. 6, and I stand by that opinion. A plus runner and a plus fielder, Lawlar has a plus-plus hit tool that keeps getting better. Lawlar’s agent, former major leaguer Vernon Wells, raved about his client during batting practice at the Futures Game, telling me how smart Lawlar is, how much he wants to learn and how he has a special ability to adjust. The latter has been clear this season, as Lawlar has posted a .328/.428/.549 slash line while rising from Low A to Double A, and he has remained productive despite missing time with a rib injury earlier in the season.

11. Eury Pérez, RHP, Marlins (Double A)
Height: 6-8 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: FB: 65 CB: 55 CH: 60 CTL: 55 CMND: 50

Even though I’m just sitting in the stands, Pérez makes me uncomfortable with his mid-90s fastball, knee-buckling curveball and a changeup that has the best hitters out in front. However, it’s Pérez’s command of his pitches in the strike zone with late movement that is his credit card. He has struck out 102 in 73 innings at Double A this season. He has special arm speed that should be a difference-maker as he develops.

12. Daniel Espino, RHP, Guardians (Double A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 225
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 55 SLI: 60 CH: 45 CTL: 50 CMND: 45

Espino has as much upside as any pitching prospect in baseball. He’s armed with a 98 to 99 mph fastball, a wipeout slider and an at-bat-changing backdoor curveball to use against left-handed hitters. His breaking balls come at batters in different shapes, sizes and velocities, and with that overpowering fastball, you better put your seatbelt on. Espino hasn’t pitched since April as he’s dealt with injuries, including shoulder soreness. Cleveland has rightfully been cautious with him.

Anthony Volpe in 2021. (Mike Janes / Four Seam Images via Associated Press)
13. Anthony Volpe, SS, Yankees (Double A)
Height: 5-11 Weight: 180
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 55 ARM: 50 FLD: 50

Volpe has the physical tools — not to mention the baseball IQ, instincts and intelligence — to become an All-Star caliber player. He’s an average defender at shortstop but can make all of the routine plays thanks to his footwork and quick release. He’s going to hit and hit with power. I think he profiles as a .350 on-base-percentage player with 25-home run power and 30-stolen base potential.

14. Marcelo Mayer, SS, Red Sox (High A)
Height: 6-3 Weight: 188
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 45 ARM: 60 FLD: 60

Mayer has strong bat-to-ball skills and plus bat speed. He can hit high velocity in all areas of the strike zone and he consistently makes sweet-spot contact. He uses the entire field and has above-average raw power with elite back spin, which means the doubles will turn into home runs as he develops. He has soft hands and quick feet at shortstop with range to both sides, and his instincts and baseball IQ are impressive.

15. Jackson Chourio, 2B/OF, Brewers (High A)
Height: 6-1 Weight: 165
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 60 ARM: 45 FLD: 55

Chourio blew me away this summer with his loud and impressive bat. He is a line drive machine with ridiculous exit velocity and special barrel awareness. He has plus power and plus-plus speed. He’s an excellent base runner with elite instincts and timing. Chourio looks like the type of hitter who could win a batting title someday. I love his bat and potential.

16. Francisco Álvarez, C, Mets (Triple A)
Height: 5-10 Weight: 233
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 65 RUN: 40 ARM: 60 FLD: 45

Álvarez has a short, compact swing that is straight to the ball. He reminds me of Ty France of the Mariners in terms of his approach. Álvarez has 25- to 30-home run power. Defensively, he needs to improve his game calling and pitch framing to be major-league ready. But the bat and power can play now. His defensive shortcomings are why I don’t have him ranked higher.

17. Jack Leiter, RHP, Rangers (Double A)
Height: 6-1 Weight: 205
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 55 SLI: 55 CH: 55 CTL: 55 CMND: 45

Leiter has had a disappointing season (5.50 ERA in 19 appearances), which is why he’s dropped in my top 50. (I ranked him 13th last year.) However, I expect him to move up on the 2023 list and I still believe he will develop into the Rangers’ ace. When he was drafted with the second overall pick in 2021, this was my evaluation:

“Leiter is the full package. First in his repertoire is a mid- to upper-90s fastball with riding late life that consistently gets swings-and-misses in and out of the strike zone. His secondary pitches include a 12/6 curveball that he can throw early in the count or use as a wipeout pitch in or out of the zone, like his fastball. His slider is nasty and filthy, and it keeps getting better. His changeup is a solid pitch; he doesn’t throw it enough, but that’s understandable given his other dominating pitches.”

Bottom line: I’m not changing my long-term outlook based on his performance this year. I think he’ll bounce back.

18. James Wood, OF, Nationals (Low A)
Height: 6-7 Weight: 240
Scouting Grades: HIT: 50 PWR: 70 RUN: 55 ARM: 50 FLD: 50

An outfield behemoth, Wood is probably the most intriguing of all the prospects the Nationals acquired in the blockbuster Juan Soto trade. There were questions about his long levers and swing when the Padres drafted him in the second round in 2021, but he answered those loudly by slashing .331/.435/.544 in his first 351 pro at-bats. He also hit 15 home runs in that time. How special is Wood? Think Yordan Alvarez as an offensive comp at the same stage of his career.

19. Noelvi Marte, SS/3B, Reds (High A)
Height: 6-1 Weight: 181
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 65 RUN: 50 ARM: 55 FLD: 50

Marte was the prospect headliner in the Luis Castillo trade with the Mariners and I believe he’ll live up to the billing. He might not be able to remain at shortstop, but he’s still on course to impact the middle of the Reds’ lineup. He can really hit, and with game-changing power. His barrel percentage, deafening sweet-spot contact, and the back spin he creates with his power make him special at the plate. He should fly through the Reds system.

Termarr Johnson (Charles LeClaire / USA Today)
20. Termarr Johnson, SS, Pirates (Rookie-ball)
Height: 5-10 Weight: 175
Scouting Grades: HIT: 70 PWR: 60 RUN: 50 ARM: 50 FLD: 55

Johnson had arguably the best hit tool in this year’s draft class and projects as a player who will hit for a high average with well-above-average power. Although he was listed at 5-foot-10, Johnson is probably closer to 5-8. He has excellent plate discipline. He takes a short, direct path to the ball, displaying special quickness and flexibility in his wrists. Johnson played shortstop in high school, but I see him as a second baseman in the major leagues.

21. Jasson Domínguez, OF, Yankees (High A)
Bats: B Throws: R
Height: 5-10 Weight: 190
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 60 RUN: 55 ARM: 55 FLD: 55

Domínguez has worked hard this past year, losing weight, gaining strength and learning the English language. He has impressed the Yankees with his work ethic and desire to improve. He can play all three outfield positions but will end up in one of the outfield corners. He’s only 19 but has already played in the Futures Game two times.

22. Elly De La Cruz, SS/3B, Reds (Double A)
Height: 6-5 Weight: 200
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 60 RUN: 60 ARM: 65 FLD: 55

Oh my goodness, do you want to talk about tools? De La Cruz is like Pirates rookie Oneil Cruz because of his impossible-to-ignore athleticism, power and strength. His ceiling is unlimited, and if he hits, watch out. De La Cruz is another Reds prospect who can probably stay at shortstop despite his frame but will likely end up at third base or in the outfield. He has great passion for the game.

23. Kyle Harrison, LHP, Giants (Double A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 200
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 SLI: 60 CH: 55 CTL: 50 CMND: 45

Harrison has a solid sinker/slider combination. Couple that with an overpowering four-seamer at the top of the strike zone and suddenly he’s the Giants’ top pitching prospect and one of the best lefties in the minor leagues. He throws from a low-three-quarters arm angle, which makes it tough for left-handed hitters to pick up the ball, especially when he’s frequently changing eye levels. His command needs work.

24. Henry Davis, C, Pirates (rehab assignment at Low A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 210
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 60 RUN: 40 ARM: 70 FLD: 45

Davis, the No. 1 pick in last year’s draft, is a field general, leader, winner and any other baseball cliché you want to use for a catcher who knows how to take charge and lead a pitching staff. At the plate, he will work a count and has solid bat-to-ball skills with plus raw power. Behind the dish, he has the arm to shut down base runners, though he has work to do to maximize that special tool. Left wrist issues have limited him to 42 games this season, including 17 at Double A. He’s expected to return to action with Double-A Altoona by early September.

25. Elijah Green, OF, Nationals (Rookie-ball)
Height: 6-3 Weight: 225
Scouting Grades: HIT: 45 PWR: 70 RUN: 65 ARM: 60 FLD: 60

Green, the son of former NFL tight end Eric Green, is a standout athlete who looks more like a running back than a baseball player. Last year, I thought he’d be the first pick in the 2022 draft; however, questions arose about his bat during his senior year of high school and he went to the Nationals at No. 5. There’s plenty to like about his game: He uses the whole field, from foul pole to foul pole, and generates the kind of loud contact that demands your attention in batting practice even if you were not watching him. He has game-changing speed and raw power. Green’s ceiling is unlimited, but there is some risk with his hit tool because of the holes he has at the plate.

Andrew Painter (Mike Janes / Four Seam Images via Associated Press)
26. Andrew Painter, RHP, Phillies (Double A)
Height: 6-7 Weight: 215
Scouting Grades: FB: 65 CB: 55 SLI: 50 CH: 55 CTL: 55 CMND: 55

Painter has tremendous reach, which makes his mid-90s fastball look like 100 mph as it gets on hitters in a hurry with special downward plane. He has three plus pitches: a fastball, curve and changeup. What makes him special is his ability to repeat his release point despite his 6-foot-7 frame. He’s dominated this season, posting a 1.11 ERA in 18 starts with 126 strikeouts in 81 1/3 innings across three different levels. Recently promoted to Double A, Painter is a fast-riser who could be a difference-maker for the Phillies as early as next season.

27. Brooks Lee, SS, Twins (High A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
Scouting Grades: HIT: 65 PWR: 55 RUN: 50 ARM: 60 FLD: 55

One of the best college bats and lowest-risk picks in this year’s draft, Lee played at Cal Poly for his father, Larry Lee, the head coach. Brooks Lee had the best track record of any position player in this class after showing his ability in the Cape Cod League, with Team USA and in college. He is a switch hitter who puts the ball in play and has proven he can hit with wood bats. Lee probably can stay at shortstop but also might move to third base. He should reach the majors relatively quickly.

28. Jarlin Susana, RHP, Nationals (Rookie-ball)
Height: 6-6 Weight: 235
Scouting Grades: FB: 75 CB: 45 SLI: 60 CH: 45 CTL: 50 CMND: 50

Most people think Susana was the final throw-in the Soto trade but that couldn’t be further from the truth. He was a key piece of the deal and has as much upside as any teenage pitching prospect in pro ball. Susana is a beast. He has great feel for pitching and all of the weapons to be a dominant starter. He has a clean delivery that’s helped his fastball, which has been clocked at 103 mph. He also throws a wipeout slider. Susana signed with the Padres in January out of the Dominican Republic, but if he’d been in this year’s draft, he would have been the first prep pitcher taken. Special talent and ceiling.

29. Taj Bradley, RHP, Rays (Triple A)
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 CB: 45 CT: 65 CH: 45 CTL: 55 CMND: 50

The Rays can scout makeup and character as well as any organization in baseball, and Bradley is the latest example. He has a high baseball IQ and a veteran’s poise and competitiveness. He’s an athlete who knows how to pitch and has the arsenal to develop into a solid mid-rotation starter. In 22 combined starts this season at Double A and Triple A, Bradley has posted a 2.65 ERA with 111 strikeouts in 98 1/3 innings.

30. Ezequiel Tovar, SS, Rockies (Double A)
Height: 6-0 Weight: 165
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 45 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 70

Tovar is a special defensive player with silky smooth actions who can make the routine plays and acrobatic ones. His future has Gold Glove written all over it. There’s no doubt he’s going to hit for average, and he’s added strength to his 6-foot frame over the past year. He is major-league ready but has been out since late June with a groin injury. Tovar is on a rehab assignment and in line to reach Triple A before the end of this season.

31. Sal Frelick, OF, Brewers (Triple A)
Height: 5-10 Weight: 180
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 45 RUN: 70 ARM: 50 FLD: 55

Frelick can really hit and get on base and he profiles as a future leadoff hitter in the majors. He knows his role — getting on base and stealing bases — and that is part of what separates him. He’s slashed .332/.405/.472 across three different levels this season, including a .419 batting average and .494 OBP in 19 games at Triple A. He’s major-league ready now and should be the Brewers’ starting center fielder in 2023 and beyond.

32. Oswald Peraza, 2B/SS, Yankees (Triple A)
Height: 6-0 Weight: 165
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 50 RUN: 60 ARM: 60 FLD: 60

The Yankees rank Peraza below their other top shortstop prospect, Volpe, and were willing to put him in a Luis Castillo trade with Cincinnati at the deadline. But Peraza, who generates special exit velocity and loud sweet-spot contact, stayed put. He’s a very toolsy middle infielder with soft hands and a cannon for an arm. He’s exciting on the basepaths as well (31 steals in 34 attempts this season).

33. Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Cubs (High A)
Height: 6-0 Weight: 184
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 50 RUN: 60 ARM: 55 FLD: 65

Crow-Armstrong should be the long-term answer for the Cubs in center field as he’s an elite defender with range to both sides and a plus arm. He gets good jumps and angles in the outfield and is a glider. Offensively, he profiles as a top-of-the-order table setter. Crow-Armstrong has slashed .311/.376/.527 this season between Low A and High A, with 15 homers, 17 doubles and 28 stolen bases (in 38 attempts).

Hunter Brown (Jayne Kamin-Oncea / USA Today)
34. Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros (Triple A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 212
Scouting Grades: FB: 65 CB: 60 SLI: 55 CH: 40 CTL: 40 CMND: 40

Brown has had a breakout season at Triple A, posting a 2.63 ERA in 14 starts and eight relief appearances. He has struck out 130 in 102 2/3 innings and yielded 70 hits. However, his control has been a problem (43 walks). There is no question his stuff is dominant, but he won’t make an impact in the majors until his command and control improve.

35. Ricky Tiedemann, LHP, Blue Jays (Double A)
Height: 6-4 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 SLI: 55 CH: 60 CTL: 50 CMND: 45

Tiedemann’s fastball comfort zone is 94 to 97 mph and he throws an above-average changeup and slider. That three-pitch mix has helped him fly through the Blue Jays system this year, from Low A to High A to Double A, with a 2.26 ERA in 17 starts and 13.7 strikeouts per nine innings.

36. Quinn Priester, RHP, Pirates (Double A)
Height: 6-3 Weight: 210
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 CB: 60 SLI: 50 CH: 45 CTL: 50 CMND: 45

Prester has a four-pitch mix that includes a fastball that sits in the mid-90s and a 12/6 curveball that is a plus-plus pitch, along with an average slider and changeup. An oblique injury cost him the first half of this season, but he has made 13 starts since his return, posting a 2.93 ERA across three different levels. Priester, the Pirates’ first-round pick in 2019, projects to be a mid-rotation starter when fully developed.

37. Emerson Hancock, RHP, Mariners (Double A)
Height: 6-4 Weight: 213
Scouting Grades: FB: 65 CB: 50 SLI: 55 CH: 55 CTL: 50 CMND: 45

Hancock had arguably the best fastball at the Futures Game this year — an upper 90s dominating four-seamer. His changeup is his best secondary pitch, but his curveball is at least an average pitch most of the time and slider is a plus pitch occasionally. A lat strain kept Hancock out until mid-May, but he’s made 16 starts since his return with a 3.03 ERA and 69 strikeouts in 74 1/3 innings.

38. George Valera, OF, Guardians (Triple A)
Height: 6-0 Weight: 195
Scouting Grades: HIT: 50 PWR: 55 RUN: 50 ARM: 50 FLD: 50

Valera is the top position-player prospect in the Guardians system and although they’ve played him in center field, I think he’ll end up as a corner outfielder. His home run power profiles in the 23-27 range and he has solid strike zone knowledge and contact. I’m not as sold on his hit tool as Cleveland is, but I probably have just not seen his best games, which can happen in scouting.

39. Triston Casas, 1B, Red Sox (Triple A)
Height: 6-4 Weight: 252
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 60 RUN: 35 ARM: 60 FLD: 55

I’m not sure why the Red Sox haven’t given Casas an opportunity in the majors (here’s what Chaim Bloom had to say about that), but I still think he’ll be their long-term answer at first base. Casas has a minor-league career on-base percentage of .380, and I think that will translate to the majors. He’s hit 22 doubles and 10 home runs in 297 plate appearances this season and profiles as a 40-doubles, 20-home run bat in the majors someday.

40. Gavin Williams, RHP, Guardians (Double A)
Height: 6-6 Weight: 255
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 CB: 55 SLI: 50 CH: 55 CTL: 50 CMND: 50

Williams, Cleveland’s first-round pick in 2021, has dominated this season to the tune of a 1.80 ERA in 21 starts with 122 strikeouts in 95 innings at High A and Double A. His fastball is in the mid-90s and he throws a plus curveball and a changeup that has good deception and fade.

41. Bobby Miller, RHP, Dodgers (Triple A)
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 55 SLI: 60 CH: 60 CTL: 45 CMND: 40

Miller’s fastball sits 97 to 100 mph and he throws both a four- and two-seamer. He’s played around with different shapes, sizes and velocities on his breaking balls and his delivery has significantly improved. This season he posted an inflated 4.45 ERA with 117 strikeouts in 91 innings while walking 31 and yielding a career-high eight home runs at Double-A Tulsa before a recent promotion to Triple A.

42. Josh Jung, 3B, Rangers (Triple A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 214
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 40 ARM: 55 FLD: 50

Jung is the best position player in the Rangers system and he’s going to hit thanks to solid bat-to-ball skills, plus bat speed and tremendous raw strength. He looks like a future .300 hitter with 25-home run power. Defensively, he’s average at best, but with a plus arm. He’s a well-below-average base runner. He underwent labrum surgery on his left shoulder in February and wasn’t back in action until late July, but he’s batted .356/.420/.800 (1.220 OPS) with five homers and five doubles in 11 games at Triple A.

Ken Waldichuk (Kim Klement / USA Today)
43. Ken Waldichuk, LHP, A’s (Triple A)
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 CB: 50 SLI: 55 CH: 50 CTL: 50 CMND: 50

Waldichuk was the prospect headliner in the trade that sent Frankie Montas to the Yankees at the deadline. The lefty had a 1.26 ERA in 28 2/3 innings at Double A and a 3.59 ERA in 47 2/3 innings at Triple A before the trade and has made three starts since joining the Oakland organization. He has a four-seam fastball that comes in at 92 to 95 mph and can own the top of the strike zone. His slider is above average at times and has good late life. He profiles as a mid-rotation starter in the majors.

44. Jackson Jobe, RHP, Tigers (High A)
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 CB: 55 SLI: 65 CH: 55 CTL: 50 CMND: 45

Jobe has been solid but not spectacular in his professional debut season at Low A, posting a 4.52 ERA in 18 starts with 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings and 3.6 walks per nine. Like with Leiter, Jobe gets a pass of sorts for his first year and I think he will bounce back in 2023. He has the four-pitch mix to develop into an elite starter in time.

45. Mick Abel, RHP, Phillies (Double A)
Height: 6-5 Weight: 190
Scouting Grades: FB: 65 CB: 50 SLI: 55 CH: 55 CTL: 60 CMND: 55

Abel, the first high school pitcher taken in the 2020 draft, has a four-pitch mix that includes a mid-90s fastball, an above-average slider and changeup, and an improved curveball with plus spin. The Phillies have pushed Abel and his fellow top pitching prospect, Painter, to pitch deeper into games this season, with good results. Abel made 18 starts at High A this season, including 11 that were five or more innings, before a recent promotion to Double A. He has recorded 111 strikeouts in 91 1/3 innings this year.

46. Marco Luciano, SS, Giants (High A)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 178
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 65 RUN: 45 ARM: 60 FLD: 50

Luciano has special bat speed and generates elite exit velocity but has always profiled as a power-over-hit-tool player, which is why I have him lower than most in my rankings. Luciano can hold his own at shortstop but I think he could end up at second base because of his below-average speed and range. He recently returned after missing two-plus months with a lower back strain.

47. Brennen Davis, OF, Cubs (rehab assignment at High A)
Height: 6-4 Weight: 210
Scouting Grades: HIT: 50 PWR: 60 RUN: 50 ARM: 55 FLD: 55

Davis’ best tool is his raw power, which should develop into 25 to 30 home runs per season in the majors. He’s an average runner and a solid defensive player. He underwent back surgery in early June and hasn’t played at Triple A since, but he began a rehab assignment at High A this week. He’s expected to return to Triple A this season and then play in the Arizona Fall League with an eye toward a major-league debut at some point in 2023.

48. Cade Cavalli, RHP, Nationals (promoted to majors this week)
Height: 6-4 Weight: 240
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 60 SLI: 60 CH: 50 CTL: 40 CMND: 40

Cavalli, a first-round pick in 2020, will make his major-league debut Friday against the Reds. He posted a 3.71 ERA in 20 starts at Triple A this season, striking out 104 but walking 39 in 97 innings. His fastball sits 96 to 98 mph, and he can touch 100 mph. The stuff is dominant, but he doesn’t have the control or command yet to succeed in the majors. He must improve in those areas if he’s going to live up to his high ceiling as a top-of-the-rotation starter. For now, it’s a major concern.

49. Brandon Pfaadt, RHP, Diamondbacks (Triple A)
Scouting Grades: FB: 60 CB: 45 SLI: 50 CH: 65 CTL: 60 CMND: 55

Pfaadt throws two kinds of fastballs: a sinker with plus arm-side run and a four-seamer that has a late cutting-type action. The changeup is his best secondary pitch, and he throws it with the same arm speed as his fastball with deception and fade. His slider flashes average and his curveball is usable at best. In 23 starts this season at Double A and Triple A, he has struck out 170 in 131 1/3 innings.

50. Michael Busch, 2B/OF, Dodgers (Triple A)
Height: 6-1 Weight: 210
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 45 ARM: 45 FLD: 45

The hit and power tools are his best, plain and simple. This season Busch has slashed .273/.359/.523 with 27 doubles, 20 home runs and 86 RBIs in 432 at-bats at Triple A and Double A. His bat is major-league ready. But defensively, he’s a below-average second baseman and an outfielder with a below-average arm and running speed. That said, the bat is going to play. Don’t be surprised if the Dodgers use Busch as trade bait in the offseason.

About the way most folks rank our top prospects; the fact that Espino hangs at No. 12 despite not pitching in 4 months I guess convinces that they are merely being cautious, not that he needs major surgery. I hope so anyway.
Valera at 38 and Williams at 40 are pretty standard for them. Williams just had his worst game of the summer but no one is perfect.

BA's highlights from Thursday games; Bibee's gem makes the top three

Tanner Bibee, RHP, Guardians: Bibee has only gotten better since he was promoted to Double-A Akron. Bibee allowed one run in six innings against Richmond while walking one and striking out 10. It was his seventh time allowing one run or less in his nine Double-A starts as he lowered his ERA for Akron to 1.45.

Good games at the plate by all the kids added to the roster last winter: Valera, Rocchio, Tena, Noel; along with Brennan and Halpin

CLE AAA #3 Brayan Rocchio, SS 5 1 3 0 .269
CLE AAA #4 George Valera, SS 4 2 3 2 .267 2 HR (19), BB (58),
CLE AAA #5 Gabriel Arias, SS 5 0 2 1 .230
CLE AAA #6 Nolan Jones, 3B 5 1 1 2 .280 HR (7),
CLE AA #10 Angel Martinez, SS 3 0 0 0 .286
CLE AA #11 Jose Tena, SS 4 2 3 1 .271 2B (23),
CLE MAJ #13 Richard Palacios, 1 0 1 0 .272
CLE AA #16 Bryan Lavastida, C 4 1 1 0 .215
CLE LoA #17 Carson Tucker, SS 3 1 0 0 .136 2 BB (16), SB (4),
CLE HiA #18 Gabriel Rodriguez, 3B 4 0 0 0 .259
CLE AA #20 Jhonkensy Noel, 3B 4 1 2 4 .218 3B (2), HR (29),
CLE HiA #22 Petey Halpin, OF 5 0 2 2 .264
CLE AAA #24 Ernie Clement, 2B 5 0 0 0 .204
CLE HiA #25 Aaron Bracho, 2B 2 1 1 1 .187 2B (12), 2 BB (24),
CLE MAJ #27 Steven Kwan, OF 4 1 1 0 .294 2B (20),
CLE HiA #33 Milan Tolentino, 2B 4 2 1 1 .275 BB (64),
CLE LoA #38 Yordys Valdes, SS 3 0 0 0 .240 3 BB (37),
CLE AAA #39 Will Brennan, OF 5 1 2 2 .306 2B (33),
CLE LoA #40 Jake Fox, SS 5 2 1 0 .260 2B (22), BB (66),

Pitchers:
CLE AAA #9 Logan Allen, LHP 0.2 4 5 5 2 0 4.68 3.03 in Akron; 8.07 in Columbus
CLE AAA #15 Cody Morris, RHP 1.0 0 0 0 1 2 2.25 13 1/3 inning 26 strikeouts 5 hits. Coming soon to Cleveland, I'd guess
CLE HiA #29 Tommy Mace, RHP 7.0 3 2 2 2 2 4.92 W (1-5)

Lynchburg lost a wild one 11-12, so lots of offensive numbers to note:

Jake Fox double 23, single, walk
Isaiah Greene 2 doubles [14] a walk as always and 35th steal don't be fooled by his 234 batting average OPS is 759
big game for Carson Tucker, he got a hit and he walked lifting 1st draft pick's average to 134 and OPS to 462
Jr Sanquintin with his 4th triple and a walk

Lake County won a great pitched game 6-0, allowing only 1 hit
Aaron Davenport entered the season with some good reports but hasn't pitched up to level of Tanner Bibee, but this was his day 6 1 0 0 2 8
1.5 round draftee Lenny Torres has had a poor return from injury but yesterday 2 perfect innings with 3 strikeouts
At bat:
Halpin 21st double
Gabrl Rodriguez 2 singles
Naranjo 16th homer
Bracho his 8th; and the mystery remains: can he reach 200 before season's end, he's at 196

Columbus won going away 8-2
Will Brennan asking for his invitation to Cleveland: 5 2 3 5 tripled and homered AAA avg 311 OPS 827
Bo Naylor doubled and walked twice and stole a base AAA avg 263 OPS a mighty 874
Nolan Jone asks to return to Cleveland 4 2 3 2 homer double walk

only Akron lost 8-4 but after a fine start by Gavin Williams 5 2 1 1 2 8 Carlos Vargas 1 1/3 1 0 0 0 1 4.50 [stays on the 40man?]

today:

Lynchburg trailing 4-3. Jake Fox a walk. Jorge Burgos 2 singles. Carson Tucker a two game hitting streak!

lake County won 8-7 Tolentino double and walk. Naranjo double and signle Kokx the same.
Raymond Burgos 6-5 lefty back from injury is working in relief this year, and doing well. 3 shutout innings today; 2.14 ERA
Supererratic Doug Nikhazy with a stinker 2 3 4 1 5 1. One of minor league baseball's walk leaders.

Akron won 5-2.
Angel Martinez single, triple 4RBI
Micah Pries a 24 year old LH 1st baseman 26th double, 19 th steal
J Noel 2 doubles.
meanwhile Johnnathan Rodriguez who tore up the Midwest League is like will Benson flailing at new level, hitting 111 now
Mason Hickman sort of like Burgos, a tall RH in his case, working in relief this year has done pretty well, recently promoted to Akron, now has 5 1/3 scoreless innings there

and Columbus with a big 14-3 win. Rocchio and Arias [#14] homered; Valera drew 4 walks; N Jones left 8 runners on base. Naylor singled, walked twice and stole another base.
a nonprospect Trenton Brooks went 4-4 with double homer and 4 rbi
on the hill:
X Curry 3 2 3 3 4 1
Cody ready for Cleveland Morris 2 0 0 0 0 4

rusty2 wrote:Hey, I think Rosario deserves an extension but I just do not see the Dians paying him 10+ million a year when they have about 3 possible replacements that will not make 10 million in 3 years.
Hey rusty were you watching yesterday when Andre Knott told a story about how Jose Ramirez took him aside?

He told Andre "Tell Antonetti to re-sign Amed Rosario - he is the perfect guy and sparkplug for the team".

I thought that was quite interesting.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

TFIR wrote:
rusty2 wrote:Hey, I think Rosario deserves an extension but I just do not see the Dians paying him 10+ million a year when they have about 3 possible replacements that will not make 10 million in 3 years.
Hey rusty were you watching yesterday when Andre Knott told a story about how Jose Ramirez took him aside?

He told Andre "Tell Antonetti to re-sign Amed Rosario - he is the perfect guy and sparkplug for the team".

I thought that was quite interesting.
I have no doubt that the whole team feels that way. I am sure that Francona feels that way. Lot of things have to happen for Rosario to be here next year and definitely beyond that. I did not watch the game.

Possible shortstops, Rosario, Gimenez, Arias, Freeman, Rocchio, etc