Re: General Discussion

Did signings go this slowly last winter, too? I think so. Big names are under contract but Puig and Kipnis are among many other talented players still hanging loose. A month to spring training so there's still plenty of time to learn where to ship their bags.

Indians haven't got around to inking their spring training invitees among minor league free agents; or announcing who other than Catcher Beau Taylor is invited [although I'm sure they included that point in re-signing Freeman]

Omar is moving upward; his first year he got 34.1% of the vote
his second year 43.1%
this year his 3rd 49.6%
From now on the shortstop competition will be in his favor.
In this year's vote, Walker in his last year of eligibility soared from 59.7 to 83.5% when voters finally took him seriously.
Heading into 2021's voting, the only two non-winners ahead of Omar are the controversial Bonds and Clemens.
So if voters want to make sure one other than those 2 cheaters is elected next year, Omar is their man.

civ ollilavad wrote:Did signings go this slowly last winter, too? I think so. Big names are under contract but Puig and Kipnis are among many other talented players still hanging loose. A month to spring training so there's still plenty of time to learn where to ship their bags.

Indians haven't got around to inking their spring training invitees among minor league free agents; or announcing who other than Catcher Beau Taylor is invited [although I'm sure they included that point in re-signing Freeman]
As we may remember the Tribe is quite well known for waiting out the market and signing free agents late - when their prices have dropped.

This year they apparently liked Cesar Hernandez enough to strike early.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Watched an interview with Twins GM Thad Levine this morning and his opening quote (when asked why he went for Josh Donaldson over a pitching option):

"Well, if I learned anything from working with John Hart it was.....when in doubt go get another bat".
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Twins are in a different part of their cycle. They still have cheap young talent they can build a payroll around. And that is the total key.

Our recent successes built up our payroll as our players get older and continue their success.

Thad Levine learned well - too well for our liking.

the source does not look especially "expert" but here are some Kipnis options. This was written about a month ago and perhaps AZ, KC and Toronto have already filled their perceived holes. I haven't kept up.

Arizona Diamondbacks:

If the season were to start today, the best option for the Diamondbacks at second base and center field is Ketel Marte. As great as Marte has been in 2019, he can’t play two positions at once. The Diamondbacks used Marte more in the outfield in 2019 than in the infield. Assuming they continue this trend, then the team is in need of a second baseman; especially now that Wilmer Flores is a free agent. Jason Kipnis also happened to play baseball at Arizona State University. He already chose to play in Arizona once, why not again?

Kansas City Royals

Given that the American League Central division is all Jason Kipnis knows, he could be useful when against their division rivals. Since the Royals have a new manager, a veteran is essential for understanding life in the big leagues while acting as a mediator between rookie and coach. The Royals starting second baseman is Nicky Lopez, who had a rocky rookie season in 2019. Entering his 25-year-old season, Kipnis could take Lopez under his wing and hopefully turn him into a perennial all-star by following his example. Lopez may not be ready to play a full 162 game season, and Kipnis can fill in when needed.

The Toronto Blue Jays have an exciting young core. One of the things this team is missing is veteran leadership. With the possibility of Justin Smoak leaving the Blue Jays in free agency, they have the youngest team in baseball and don’t really have a veteran presence. Kipnis is able to provide that. Although Cavan Biggio is the 2nd baseman of the future, the Blue Jays can also use Kipnis there. The Blue Jays have let Devon Travis go into free agency, and may not be sold on Richard Urena. Signing Kipnis could make that spot on the roster quite competitive. He might come cheap and short-term, both of which intrigue the Blue Jays front office. The same front office led by Mark Shapiro who drafted Jason Kipnis in 2009 with the Cleveland Indians.

reading articles on "best outfields" on which Indians clearly do not feature, I really would like to see Zimmer come through. He had excellent college credentials and a good combination of power, speed, throwing arm, if he can just make consistant contact and play less recklessly he still could be solid contributor. I'll decide to be optimistic for him this season despite my doubts, Minor league performance has been generally solid after some weak debuts at higher levels:

14 MHV 304-401-464 11 steals
15 LYN 308-403-493 32 steals
15 AKR 219-313-374 12 steals
16 AKR 253-371-471 33 steals
16 COL 242-349-305 5 steals
17 COL 294-371-532 9 steals

I'll omit the strikeouts since we know those have always bee a problem

I was scrolling through Indians twitter the other day and saw something someone tweeted out from a website I had never heard of, so I didn't bother posting it here. But it was a list of the relievers in the minor leagues with the best stuff. And Karinchak & Class ranked #1 and #2 on their list. (that is entire minor leagues, not just Tribe system)

I was reminded of it just now while seeing that Adam Plutko was on Bull And Fox radio show today and relayed a story. He said there was a game this year the Indians faced Emmanuel Clase, and he said, "Francisco Lindor and Roberto Perez both came in after facing him and said 'that is 100% the nastiest pitcher I've ever seen in my life.'"

civ ollilavad wrote:Plutko certainly needs a trial as a reliever; does his stuff play well in the bullpen? Too susceptible to the long ball I'm afraid. Tito has generally not cared to have a "long man" in the pen; will the new 3 man rule change that?
civ - and don't forget the 26 man roster