Re: Just Baseball: Major League teams OTHER THAN the Tribe

Well! Sorry to read that news :( :(

I was holding out hopes that Soler would end up in Cleveland.

We still have a shot at Puig. We can bring him back.

Both had some baggage, but, I think they were/are worth the gamble.

If things don't work out, I'd hate to look back on the season and way "What If ?"

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

In case you missed it, transactions this past week:

Cubs To Re-Sign Cody Bellinger
Marlins Sign Tim Anderson
Pirates Extend Mitch Keller
Tigers Sign Gio Urshela
Kodai Senga Diagnosed With Posterior Capsule Strain In Right Shoulder, Will Open Season On IL
Eric Hosmer Retires
Hyun Jin Ryu Signs Eight-Year Deal With KBO’s Hanwha Eagles
Brewers Re-Sign Brandon Woodruff
Rays Sign Amed Rosario To One-Year Deal
Red Sox Sign Liam Hendriks
Yankees Have Offer Out To Blake Snell
Trout: Asking For Trade Is “Easy Way Out”
Cubs Chairman On Cody Bellinger: Some Discussions But Not A Negotiation
Lerner Family No Longer Pursuing Sale Of Nationals
Giants Sign Jorge Soler

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Look - not as if Margot is a star or anything but a very solid professional player.

This is another example of why I pick the Twins in the lame AL Central. They actually have good professional guys everywhere - not hoping that kids show something.

That said this is where the Guards are at for another season. Only a lights out year from the pitching staff and a couple good offensive surprises will change that.

It's a big ask.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

a relief pitcher making the jump from AA To the majors?

I'm going to check Cody Allen's stats; he moved up very fast.
Not quite that fast:
drafted in 2011, pitched at Mahoning Valley, Lake County and Kinston
2012 2 games at Carolina; 5 at Akron; 24 in Columbus; reached Cleveland for 27 appearances.

There have been a handful of other college arms who reached the majors within a year over the past couple decades, but my memory works best on players in the 60s

in 2001 Danys Baez reached CLE after 16 games in AA.

in 1994 Paul Shuey reached CLE after 20 games in AAA; a Number 1 pick they knew he'd move fast.

Better memory the me Civ.
I'm anxious to see where Aleman starts the season.
Depending on how he looks the spring and anywhere near how he performed in Akron, AAA is not out of the question.
-- Bob Feller

Rays are jam-packed with ex-IANS:
Yandy Diaz 1-6
Harold Ramirez 2-6
junior Caminero 3-7 for the superstar of the future
Richie Palacios 1-9
Invited ST guest: Ruben Cardenas RH OF 4-10 in AAA last year 269/358/475. It's amazing how many OF we trade away
[Tampa Bay Rays traded RHP Hunter Wood and 3B Christian Arroyo to Cleveland Indians for RF Ruben Cardenas and Future Considerations

They brought back former superstar of the future Francisco Mejia [of the 50+ game minor league hitting streak] on a minor league deal after he was released by the Angels; his defense was always uncertain; here's the current description of his status:

Mejía’s pitch-framing and blocking grade out poorly, and he threw out only four runners while allowing 38 stolen bases last season. He took a step back offensively the last two years as well, posting a .649 OPS, and ceded playing time first to Christian Bethancourt and then to Pinto..

Pitchers besides Civale:
Shawn Armstong, RH reliever, let go by Cle long ago by now; he was drafted the same year as Cody Allen, who became a star, regressed, retired several years ago
Phil Maton, RH reliever, the 2nd part of the overpayment [with Yainer Diaz] for Home Run Straw
Kevin Kelly RH reliever, taken by Tampa in 2022 Rule 5 draft

MLB free agent tracker:

Matt Chapman and Cody Bellinger finally sign, but Blake Snell still remains on market

It's been a slow crawl through MLB free agency this offseason

By R.J. Anderson

March 2, 2023 1 hr ago

MLB spring training games are officially happening, and 2024 Opening Day is fast approaching. Yet, plenty of notable MLB free agents remain on the market, which has been slow to develop this offseason. The market picked up late Friday night, when the San Francisco Giants inked Matt Chapman to a three-year, $54 million deal with opt-outs after each of the first two seasons, per Jeff Passan. Previously, the Cubs re-signed Cody Bellinger to a three-year, $80 million deal with opt-outs after each of the first two years. Still, reigning NL Cy Young award winner Blake Snell remains on the market.

The Twins kicked off February by agreeing to a deal with Carlos Santana,

The Brewers have landed veteran catcher Gary Sánchez and Clayton Kershaw is sticking with the Dodgers.

Slugger Jorge Soler, meanwhile is heading to the heart of San Francisco's lineup

Amed Rosario will help round out the Rays' infield.

Tim Anderson will hope to rebound on a one-year deal with the Marlins, while the Tigers added Gio Urshela.

Additionally, there were a handful of notable signings in January. The Brewers signed slugger Rhys Hoskins, the Astros bolstered their bullpen with a five-year deal for Josh Hader and Justin Turner is heading north of the border to join the Blue Jays.

Two of CBS Sports' top 10 free agents remain unsigned, however, and multiple members of our top 50 free agents list are still figuring out where they'll play in 2024. That group includes Snell, Jordan Montgomery and J.D. Martinez.

<
-- Bob Feller