Re: GameTime!™

Well not so fast on Zimmer! :lol: :lol:

I just saw (first inning) Zimmer catch a fly ball (runners on 1st and 2nd) and throw to 3rd - not even close and meanwhile the runner on 1st scoots to 2nd base. 2nd and 3rd instead of 1st and 3rd with the double play still intact.

Of course next batter grounds to 3B and it would have been a double play ball. Instead they get one out at 1B and the runner at 3B scores.

Meanwhile Manning in the booth absolutely is raging at Zimmer. C'mon he isn't a spring chicken anymore and this is baseball 101. And it completely hands them a run.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

What a view. View Box 453.
Reyes' 1st bomb, 446ft to left.
110mph. Hernandez with a
blast. Then an out, Ramirez
with a line drive HR to left.
65.3ft off the grass. Then
I tell my girlfriend back to back
jacks would be nice. And
Freyes hits another just right
of center. And Zack some
how made it thru 5.

VT'er wrote:I don't think I just woke from a 20-year nap but I can't keep track of this roster.

And what is this new way of manufacturing home runs ... for the other team ...
Lol VTer - ChiefVanWinkle
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I think Daniel Johnson has pretty well played himself out of a job. He has made a variety of boneheaded defensive plays and not hit a lot. Ramirez in left, Straw in center and Zimmer in right makes the most sense. They used Mercado in RF Saturday against a lefty and can do again if they choose but don't see any role for Johnson. When Bradley returns from bereavement Johnson could find his way back to Columbus. He certainly is not likely to find a spot on the crowded 40 man roster next winter. I'd put Oscar Gonzalez, Will Benson and George Valera ahead of him among OFs who will need to be protected. Probably put all 3 of them ahead of Mercado too. Zimmer has at last, perhaps, carved out a major league role for himself.

another really lousy start by McKenzie. Zuvala or whatever is a 27 year old who had about 40 career at bats with a 170 career average that means 7 hits in his big league career and McK allows a solo shot and then after a couple walks loaded the bases a grand slam.

Brian Shaw followed a couple innings later with a really bad inning including another homer by the 4th string catcher.
Karinchak was even worse

But Justin Garza in mid relief and Clase with a 5 out save made the ridiculous 12-11 win possible

Quantrill, by contrast to McKenzie, has established himself as a solid member of the rotation. 4 shutout innings so far, but he has walked 3. Non slugger Myles Straw with a solo homre and the Indians are up 1-0 1/2 the way through.

Despite hitting his first homer yesterday, Owen Miller still looks pretty dreadful at the plate and Ernie Clement really should not be starting more than once a week. I assume that Giminez returns as soon as the team returns south of the border. Then can farm out Ernie and I won't care. Or Chang but he has had some good days at the plate.
And if you're looking for evidence of a weak lineup [reminiscent of the sub 200 team average in April] Oscar Mercado is hitting 5th. It's hard to crowd three or four No. 9 hitters into the same lineup

Great outing for Q. Stopped his string of 1 ER allowed; this time none; he too hit Abreu with the bases loaded, run followed Mercado's error
Another loss for the bullpen; Wittgren stretched into his second inning allowed a homer to Brian Goodwin, who's a lot more talented than the catcher who drove Shaw and McKenzie crazy yesterday

The outing by Quantrill a great example of how this year can be beneficial. We can give time - and ended up having to give time - to future rotation candidates.

Amazing how Quantrill just seems to get better/gain confidence as he gets his feet wet.

TFIR wrote:The outing by Quantrill a great example of how this year can be beneficial. We can give time - and ended up having to give time - to future rotation candidates.

Amazing how Quantrill just seems to get better/gain confidence as he gets his feet wet.
I love, and agree, with your confidence TFIR!
UD

Last night's game vs Blue Jays was a good example of how freaking scrappy this team is.

They go into Toronto, the Blue Jays just swept their weekend series - their first series back in Toronto. Their lineup is ridiculously loaded.

Yet little Eli Morgan keeps them in check and the battle of the bullpens won by the Tribe.

The little engine that could (be competitive at least).

The audition season goes on.