Re: GameTime!™

Great to see:

1. Claase and Karinchak nail it down
2. Quantrill looking more comfortable as a starter
3. Franmil continuing his good hitting since coming off the IL

These guys are hanging tough despite the ridiculous fortune of their top 3 starters going down!
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

civ ollilavad wrote:McKenzie's best start since his major league debut last year. He doesn't have to be that good to be useful. I think everyone knows he has the ability to be a big leaguer but needs a big boost in consistency. Quantrill should be able to fill out the rotation as the 5th starter [of course for now 5th becomes third behind Plesac and McK. Mejia and Hentges could develop into major leagues but I still lean toward keeping the minors to develop and bring up Brad Peacock for the rotation [if they can figure out a way to manipulate the 40 man roster to find room for him].
civ - I would think they already told Peacock they want him if he shows anything in AAA - so i bet they have that 40 man plan.

Even performances like today by Quantrill are perfectly acceptable for the #4 and #5 slots. He kept the team in the game.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Daniel Johnson also had a spectacular catch. What an athlete - be huge if he could tap that potential.

Also a shout out to Maton and Wittgren who covered the 7th and 8th inning roles for this game.

Look - if this year can continue to be competitive while looking at all these young pitchers and hitters, 2021 will be a great stepping stone.

For the first time ever Zimmer looked comfortable at the plate. If he could become the 2nd tallest singles hitter for the Cleveland Baseball Club I would take it. When he gets on 1st base, they should just award him 2nd base like on the intentional walk rule. Imagine if we had outfielders that could hit!
UD

Last night's game was a good microcosm of the Tribe's season in my view.

They had no business even being in that game. Greinke started the game and against many younger hitters he had them pretty baffled. No surprise - this guy is a borderline Hall of Famer and he is as smart as they come.

Meanwhile the Tribe sends out another AAA pitcher against a killer lineup. They do get to him eventually - no surprise.

Yet they battled them to a one run game.

And as usual, the performance by the bullpen was largely responsible for that.

all 3 OFs and the 1B opened the season in AAA as well as the starting pitcher. Mejia is I think sort of promising but I really wish they returned him to AAA even if his replacement is less talented; I'd like to see him good work out of the limelight and against hitters at his level

How about that, they beat the Astros.
Typical performance by Eli "Josh Tomlin" Morgan: 3 runs in 5 innings, 2 solo homers; that makes 11 homers in 31 1/3 innings.
Shaw wasn't great but Maton Clase and Karinchak were nearly perfect. Karnichak can pitch a perfect inning even without fanning 2/3 of the hitters.

Ernie Clement of all people with a bases clearing double. Cesar Hernandez with his 16th homer.
Bradley DH so Reyes in RF and didn't screw anything up.

Blown save by Karinchak last night - simple as that. We live by the (bullpen) sword - die by the (bullpen) sword. Overall we can live with that.

They just missed a double play in the 9th too. Oh and that walk to Choi with no one on to pitch to Brandon Lowe. Brain cramp.

civ ollilavad wrote:Q was very good.

Johnson made a mess of things in RF. Tito quotes on that were not positive.
civ - I wonder if our boy JET is more comforable in CF?