Re: General Discussion

Domingo Santana joins a long list of over the hill 1b or OF we sign as FA, can't hit, and don't make it through the season. Brady Anderson some years ago. Some Angels 1B whose father was a better scout than he was a hitter. Last year Hanley Ramirez.

Chang optioned to Eastlake. Freeman now the sole Utility IF.

At least for a day they carry 3 catchers. Trying to make a waiver deal to get rid of Leon I guess rather than just outright him.

Mercado back to replace Allen.

And for a day they have one extra reliever as Quantrill joins the pen. When Plesac is added today they can feel free to get rid of Cimber. Made a rare appearance when the game was close yesterday and quickly let an inherited run score.

I saw on the indians' transaction page that Miller, Cantillo and Arias were all described as "non roster guys "invited to spring training"
i guess that means that they're not part of the Eastlake 20.

No that's wrong; I just looked at Indians.com and for the category "non-roster invitees" these 3 are all on the list which totals 20. So who was removed? Here's the list:

Pitchers: Cantillo, Espino, Gose, Hankins, Hernandez, Morgan, Nelson, Sandlin, Wood
Catchers: Baron, Naylor, Rupp
Infield: Arias, Bracho, Clement, Elmore, Freeman, Jones, Miller
Outfield: George Valera. [of course he's joined in Eastlake by big league failures Bauers, Zimmer and Johnson]

I'm still confused.

There's the 40 man roster and 20 more. Guys on the 40 are using an option year. You have to be on the 40 to play in Major League games.

The other 20 are being paid to hang around Eastlake. Do other players not part of the 60 still belong to the Indians just not getting paid or are they FAs?

What is the player's status if he is dropped from the 60? Who got dropped in the SD deal?

It's all pretty weird this year. I know one thing: players not in Eastlake have not become free agents.

Are they getting paid? I know I'm seen stories at Baseball America on that but cannot recall the answer other than I believe teams were left the option to pay or not pay as they choose. Although perhaps a concerted plan was reached later on.

Did we send anyone home when we added the 3 new names to the Eastlake list? [were they previously at the Padres' alternate site?] Last I recall we had 18 on the list with room to add 2 more. Some of those veteran names listed [David Hernandez and Jake Elmore sound like add-ons to my recollection which would have brought the total to 20.... did anyone move from the Alternate List to the 40 man roster? I don't think so; McKenzie was already on the roster when he came to Cleveland. I don't recall any other names that are now missing; somewhere in one of these folders the original list was posted.

Hmm?

I believe there were open spots so they didn't have to cut anyone.

From another site:

For those curious, mlb.com roster has the 3 non40 additions from SD and has 20 non-40 guys on roster now (full).

We had 40 + 15 lake county guys at beginning. We added 6 from Padres - Clev - Allen - Santana - Arroyo (Bos) - Hoyt (MIA) .... then also added some filler after initial 55 in Elmore, Baron, Rupert and Hernandez. Thus, our roster sits at 60 which includes Wood .. thus why they didn’t add Burns or Tucker after the deadline (but could of if they cut dead weight).
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Anyone want to complain about the Bauer trade can forget about it. Reyes is a real stud hitter. Just what we need to clear the bases.

Excited to see Naquin now hitting the best of his career. Looks like we have 6 solid bats in the lineup, that's an improvement over where we started. Perhaps Naylor with Luplow platooning makes a 7th. Catchers can't hit. DeShields is not too shabby for a No. 9 hitter

2 homers July 20 2016. and a double. At the time he was hitting 320.

Finished 2016 296.372/514/ Although his August 1 to end of season split was only 233/310/331 Pitchers seemed to had adjusted to him.

Then he missed nearly all of 2017.
2018 limited play with an OPS of 651.
2019 288/325/467 although he again had a weak August 274/328/355 and missed September.

So he's been very hot before but hasn't sustained it. We know that he can hit but either doesn't adjust to pitchers adjusting to him or runs out of steam or gets hurt. September has not been a good month for him, maybe this year will continue as the month has started

From Gammons on The Athletic:

“The Indians got a deal they couldn’t have gotten elsewhere,” one GM said Monday noon. “Given their (Francisco) Lindor situation, they got a top shortstop prospect with 70 defense and an 80 arm, they got two young potential starting pitchers, a bat as well as one of the two or three best defensive catchers in the game.

For two years of Clevinger, that’s a haul. When was the last time a team hasn’t had a winning season in a decade gave up that many good toolsy prospects?”
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

More from Gammons:

One American League scouting guru comps Owen Miller to Mark Loretta.

Cantillo was a skinny kid in Hawaii throwing 87 mph, but the Padres scouts worked him out and saw an uptick in velocity and had the acumen to project him to be 93-94 mph in time with a sound delivery and command; he’s almost there.

Quantrill was a first-round pick, with the genes of his father Paul, one of the most dogged pitchers I’ve ever known.

All those positive reviews won't convince my Yankees Fan Friend who insists we dumped salary and got nothing.
I'm not so hard to convince, although would have liked some more 2020-ready offense.
And while wishing Clevinger well, I cannot see him likely -- as Bauer is -- to be sturdy enough for 32 starts each of the next 5 years.

civ ollilavad wrote:All those positive reviews won't convince my Yankees Fan Friend who insists we dumped salary and got nothing.
I'm not so hard to convince, although would have liked some more 2020-ready offense.
And while wishing Clevinger well, I cannot see him likely -- as Bauer is -- to be sturdy enough for 32 starts each of the next 5 years.
I'm guessing your Yankee friend is not exactly an expert on prospects. And how contracts and finances actually work. Or heard of Josh Naylor or Cal Quantrill.

So that pretty much exempts him from having an informed opinion. Not that he cares about that.

The quote from a rival GM said it all. These days, getting a haul like that for a SP you don't even really need is just good business and a move you can't pass up.

Atlanta was the only other team with that kind of prospect depth that might have made that move. Their loss.

San Diego was perfect. They were a motivated buyer on a binge and had gathered an immense prospect pool in previous seasons. PLUS the Tribe had dealt with them over and over and had full evaluations of their system. Perfect storm.

And BTW, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Josh Naylor surprised rather quickly.

While watching the KC broadcast the other night Rex Hudler said in his opinion Josh Naylor just needed a place to play and gather at bats. That's from a neutral baseball analyst and former player. If you've ever seen Hudler on a broadcast (he's been around a long time) he never, ever bullshits.