Re: General Discussion

Clevinger starts Wednesday.

Clevinger was demoted on August 14 after violating health and safety protocols along with teammate Zach Plesac, but he's been staying sharp at the team's alternate training site. There's naturally some hard feelings in the Indians' clubhouse, but it was likely just a matter of time before Clevinger would resurface.

The question is whether this will function as a showcase start in advance of the upcoming trade deadline. The struggling Adam Plutko was previously lined up to start on Wednesday, but Clevinger is obviously a huge upgrade. The 29-year-old will return to a 3.24 ERA through three starts.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Chris Antonetti said Tuesday that he told Zach Plesac that there's not a spot for him at the major league level right now.

Antonetti informed Plesac after they decided to call up Mike Clevinger for Wednesday's start. The 25-year-old violated health and safety protocols by going out in Chicago this month and eventually found himself demoted to the team's alternate training site. He made an ill-advised video post on social media during that time and also upset many of his teammates.

He's already been on an option for more than 10 days and he would lose a full year of service time if he misses more than 18 days. Things can change at any time, but it's beginning to look like that could become a reality. This could make an awkward situation even worse, so one wonders if Plesac could be traded for a bat before next week's deadline.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Punish Plesac and save a year of cash.

Trade Clevinger. Save some cash.

Jim Bowden says :

Cleveland Indians

Trade right-handed pitcher Mike Clevinger to the New York Yankees in exchange for outfielder Clint Frazier and third baseman Miguel Andújar.

The Indians are blessed with another top pitching prospect in Triston McKenzie, who appears ready to step in and replace Clevinger full-time in their starting rotation. After Clevinger let his teammates down by breaking curfew, violating health protocols and misleading the team about his behavior, trading him probably has to be under serious consideration at this point. They also only control him for two more years. In return, the Indians should be able to get two everyday position players that would help lengthen their lineup significantly. Former Indian Frazier, 25, appears ready to have his breakout season if he can just get playing time and would fit nicely in right field for Cleveland. Andújar, 25, is just two years removed from hitting .297 with 47 doubles, 27 home runs and 92 runs batted in and finishing second in Rookie of the Year voting. He’s since had shoulder surgery but is presently blocked by the Yankees’ all-star lineup and depth. Andújar could play left field, third base, first base or DH for them. Both players are entering their prime years and this trade could end up being a difference-maker for Cleveland for years to come. In return, the Yankees get their third starter to put behind Gerrit Cole and Masahiro Tanaka in their rotation.

I agree 100 % !!!!!!!

Now that they're in serious contention for AL Central lead, are hitting a bit more and have 2 division rivals to contend with, I question how long they give Carrasco to keep his rotation spot? Pleasc was second to Bieber in his performances before his adventure in Chicago. I would like to see him back in Cleveland in some role; better bullpen candidate than Plutko if not back in the rotation.

civ ollilavad wrote:If we get Frazier for one corner; Naquin looking good for the other corner; DH and 3B and 1B are well covered. What would we do with Andujar?
So you're saying Naquin would stay healthy?

Hahahahahaha :lol: :lol:

I've been impatient with Naquin and had probably given up on him. I'm guessing he's learned what defensive moves are just too risky and would rather stay on the field. His hitting has been solid.

Luplow has actually been hitting well for the past 10 days or so. In the last 7 games in which he's appeared he's gone 5-16 with 6 walks and only 2 strikeouts, a double and a homer. 313/500/563.

I'm OK with the two of them splitting one OF spot. And not adverse to trying Luplow against some RH and Naquin against some LH.

In CF we get good defense and a little bit of hitting from DeShields while hoping Mercado is getting his act back together.

in the other corner Domingo Santana is pretty unimpressive with the one positive that he's delivered some big hits and 12 RBI in 68 AB is impressive
Happy to have Frazier back but would prefer not to swap Clevinger who can be a real top notch pitcher.. Yankees are too smart to accept Plutko although I'd be willing to toss in two Logan Allens.

The forum generally anticipates the front office doesn't do anything and that could be the case. But there have been plenty of deadline day deals, some of them pretty significant like dealing for Andrew Miller; dealing away Bauer for Reyes and Puig.

Not sure I expect a Clevinger deal but I think they'll do something to add an outfielder. If it's someone of the Domingo Santana variety I won't really care.

Yankees could be eager to add pitching and someone like Plutko could be an enhancement to what they have healthy now.

Don't forget the Skanks hired young Matt Blake as pitching coach from the Indians. The Indians tried to stop him by changing his titles and promoting him but the Yankees pried him away. He's thoroughly familiar with Indian pitching and had major input in their development process.

If the Indians and Yankees are talking, Tribe may get snookered.

civ ollilavad wrote:Remember that they're restricted this year to dealing guys on the 60 man rosters. Indians have made a lot of deals lately with younger minor leaguers to pick up talent like Luplow and Mercado. They won't be able to do that this year.
They will. Just use the PTBNL. Like they did way back with the CC deal. You agree on a list of, say, 3-4 minor leaguers that you can pick from at a later date.