Re: General Discussion

TFIR

When are you headed back to Rochester? You flying?

I was going to fly back to RI at the end of May but those plans are now on hold.

Wife and I are in that high risk category...elderly with underlying conditions.

Too old to drive back.

May be stuck in AZ for the summer. Hope my air-conditioning is in good shape.

He starts 2020 six months older than he finished 2019
I'm guessing he starts the 2020 season more like eight months older than he finished 2019.

Actually when you think about it, that quote is about as revealing a fact as saying "when Carlos plays a game on Tuesday, he will not play again until Wednesday" or "last season was Carlos' eighth with the Indians but this will be his ninth"

seagull wrote:TFIR

When are you headed back to Rochester? You flying?

I was going to fly back to RI at the end of May but those plans are now on hold.

Wife and I are in that high risk category...elderly with underlying conditions.

Too old to drive back.

May be stuck in AZ for the summer. Hope my air-conditioning is in good shape.
seagull - for my wife and I, we (had) planned to drive home April 1. I wanted to get back because I umpire high school (and some D3 college) softball. But likely the school spring seasons will be canceled - if not school all together. And NY is in a dicier situation right now than Arizona.

So we may well be staying in Phoenix another month to see how things play out - especially how it plays out back in NY. TBD
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

CLEVELAND INDIANS
Zack Meisel, @ZackMeisel

Q: Logan Allen seems like he has a ton of potential, but his last couple years weren’t great. Does he have a shot at the rotation…and sticking in it…and then being good in 2020? — Mike B.

A: Allen is No. 7 in the pecking order right now, behind Shane Bieber, Mike Clevinger, Carlos Carrasco, Adam Plutko, Zach Plesac and Aaron Civale. There’s quite a bit of volatility on that list, as Plesac and Civale are entering their sophomore seasons and Clevinger, Civale and Carrasco have already dealt with injuries this spring. Allen could be the guy who bounces back and forth, north and south on I-71, between Cleveland and Triple-A Columbus all summer.

He did say this spring he’s “10 times the pitcher” he was with the Padres last year after tweaking a few things with his legs in his delivery and using the resources available from the Indians’ starting pitching factory. So, it’s possible he nudges his way into the rotation this year, but he’ll have to be especially productive to stick. Next year seems like the better bet.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

With Memorial Day weekend now the most optimistic start time, the Clevinger injury is a total non factor.

So Clev, you can slow down your rehab now and stop risking overdoing it.

;)

Well the Chinese got the disease pretty much under control after about 10 weeks. We don't have the "advantage" of an authoritarian system to impose controls so probably takes longer. Then there's the possibility that warm weather may stop the spread [but the 1918 flu pandemic resumed the next cold season] I think they'll play about half a season or so. Should we be taking guesses on Opening Day instead of final records in 2020?

civ ollilavad wrote:Well the Chinese got the disease pretty much under control after about 10 weeks. We don't have the "advantage" of an authoritarian system to impose controls so probably takes longer. Then there's the possibility that warm weather may stop the spread [but the 1918 flu pandemic resumed the next cold season] I think they'll play about half a season or so. Should we be taking guesses on Opening Day instead of final records in 2020?
I think the latest speculation of Memorial Day weekend may be a decent rough estimate.

We don't have an authoritarian system but we did have more of a head start than they did. Also the geography and population dispersal is much different than China. Damn lot of people there bunched together in approximately the same space as the US.

I guess my point is 10 weeks may be a decent estimate. But that's just a starter to turn the corner.

Major League Baseball announced a compensation package Thursday for minor league players who are not currently on 40-man rosters.

Many of these players had been left in the dust following the suspension of spring training last week over the growing coronavirus pandemic. Per the MLB press release, non-40-man minor leaguers will "receive a lump sum equal to the allowances that would have been paid through April 8," which was the original start date for most minor league teams.

Jake Seiner of the Associated Press reports that figure will be $400 a week. Major League Baseball says it is also working with its minor league affiliates to map out a compensation plan that will stretch from April 9 to the actual opening of the 2020 campaign.

SOURCE: MLB Communications on Twitter