Re: General Discussion

This is not to lobby one way or another. Just seems to me that kind of profile grabs attention of club's brass.

In other words, I see where the Marlins were going with this.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I don't know anything about Cardinals system, but was listening to MLB Network radio on Sirius when the deal went down and the analyst on there was not impressed with the Marlins haul at all. Said one of the kids was their #6 ranked prospect and rest was not in top 10. And the guy he liked the most he seemed to think may end up in bullpen cause he only has one pitch. (might be the guy you're posting about?)

Just sounded to me as if we could have beat it. Since there have been rumors of our interest in Ozuna was kind of surprised we didn't. But you're right, maybe Marlins fell in love with one of these Cards guys and was hell bent on getting him.

I think so - sounds like that SP's stock jumped huge in the AFL. And teams always love 100 MPH.

I think other views of the Cards prospects were more positive than the one you heard.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

One positive note on the boring Winter Meetings this year is that the rest of the winter should be more interesting than usual. Unfinished businesses are everywhere.

On this one, I can't imagine Napoli being a fit for an NL team except as a pinch hitter and occasional 1B. I do know why Callaway probably would like to have him - for OFF the field reasons. Teach his new team to win.

Mike Napoli - 1B - Rangers

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Mets and Twins are showing interest in Mike Napoli.

Fraley points out that Napoli has connections to both franchises in general manager Thad Levine with Minnesota and manager Mickey Callaway with New York.

He would give the Twins a designated hitter option and offer protection for Dominic Smith at first base. Napoli is 36 and batted only .193/.285/.428 in 2017, but he did sock 29 home and was playing through a torn ligament in his right hand, which he had surgically-repaired.

This would be pretty darn huge:

Manny Machado - 3B - Orioles

Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports that it's "highly unlikely" Manny Machado is traded Friday and will "probably not" be dealt over weekend.

Kubatko notes that the interested teams are trying to determine how they would replace the players they'd have to give up for Machado. He also adds that the Diamondbacks "did double back" to speak with the Orioles after having preliminary discussions on Machado earlier this week.

It's looking very likely at this point that Machado is traded, but nothing is imminent.

Carlos Santana - 1B - Indians

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Phillies have signed Carlos Santana to a three-year, $60 million contract.

It's an odd fit on the surface, as it means either Rhys Hoskins or perhaps even Santana will play the outfield or Santana will move back third base and bump Maikel Franco from a starting job. Perhaps there will be a series of moves coming from Philly.

Santana does give the Phillies a bona-fide bat, as he boasts a career .249/.365/.445 batting line and has averaged 24 homers per season in his seven full years. The Indians will now have to turn to Plan B at first base.
Related: Phillies

Funny - same exact contract as EE.

Good signing for the Phils though who bleed money and are getting ready to spend it soon. And they have very little payroll at this point. Big market, lots of money there.

See, this is a good example of why it's hard when Tribe guys are FAs. This is clearly an overspend (for most teams) but for the PHILS it's a smart move (only 3 years helps)

So ill advised contract in Tribe's situation, good contract in Philly situation.

Happy for Carlos. Casey Blake trade paid us back handsomely over the years!

Santana to Phillies for 60 mil!?!?!
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller