Re: General Discussion

An article for all the lurkers on this board - you should join in!

How Not to Let Facebook Get You Down
By Elise Solé, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – 4 hours ago

As fun as it is to scroll through vacation photos and read status updates on Facebook, being a passive user has some serious drawbacks. A two-part study published in the journal Social Influence found that when we don’t comment or “like” others’ posts we feel lonely and excluded.

In the first study, which lasted two days, researchers observed Facebook users, half of whom actively participated on the site, the other half who simply read status updates (a behavior researchers called “lurking.”) After not posting for 48 hours, the latter group felt like outsiders and that their lives were in fact, less meaningful. In the second study, subjects commented on other people’s posts but received no feedback or acknowledgment. As a result, the ignored users said they felt ostracized, invisible, and less popular.

Yahoo Shine could not reach the study's lead author Stephanie Tobin, a psychology professor at The University of Queensland's School of Psychology in Australia for comment, however, she wrote in her study, “People have a fundamental need to belong that can be satisfied by frequent positive interactions with others in the context of ongoing relationships… Our findings suggest that it is communication, rather than simple use, that is key in producing a sense of belonging. When sharing or feedback is restricted, belonging suffers.”

Here are three ways to use Facebook and still feel good about yourself.

Spend more time on your own page: One Cornell University study found that simply perusing your own profile (reading old statuses, flipping through photo albums) can raise self-esteem because, for better or worse, the site allows us to carefully craft the persona we wish to project to the world. And a reminder of one's idealized self makes people feel happy.

Share your opinions: Communicating may be easier to do online than in person because without encountering the facial cues and body language of the audience, we may feel less inhibited and express ourselves more honestly. It’s been proven for teenagers: One report published by Common Sense Media found that 20 percent say social media makes them feel more confident, less shy and more outgoing.

Post at work: Facebook can be a time-suck, but if you use it wisely, it can make you better at your job. According to The Academy of Management, an association for scholars, workers who take 10-minute Facebook breaks are 16 percent more productive than those who used the Internet but didn’t log on Facebook and 40 percent more productive than people who took no breaks at all. If you’re having a busy day, all the better: Spending time on Facebook provides a physiological “high,” boosting relaxation and decreasing heart rate and stress levels, according to researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Milan.

When Josh Tomlin was drafted in 2005, his scouting report said he had good range with quick reactions and the hands to play shortstop. His bat was quick. San Diego’s 11th-round pick hit .351 at Angelina Junior College.

Tomlin’s scouting report also said his arm was his best tool, which is a big reason he bypassed signing with the Padres and transferred to Texas Tech. The decision didn’t positively impact his draft status – he was Cleveland’s 19th-round pick in 2006 – but it was the catalyst to a big-league career.

“In junior college, I would come into games from shortstop to pitch the later innings,” said Tomlin. “I had a feel for pitching, but wasn’t ready to make that move yet. When I went to Texas Tech, I’d pitch on Friday night and play short, second, or third on Saturday and Sunday. I realized at that point I had a better chance as a pitcher than I did playing the field.”

The Indians realized it as well. A year earlier the Padres weren’t quite so sure.

“San Diego drafted me as kind of a… I wouldn’t say a two-way player, but it was a situation where I could have played infield in the Padres organization,” said Tomlin. “The transition to pitcher probably would have happened eventually, but I’d have gotten a shot at short had I signed with them.

“When I was drafted by the Indians in 2006, it was ‘We want you as a pitcher; you’re going to be a pitcher.’ It was clearly the right decision. I could swing the bat a little, but I wasn’t going to hit for power. I was going to be a slap guy, and I wasn’t very fast either. From talking to people who have been around the game for a long time, I knew I had a better chance to make it as a pitcher.”

The right-hander clearly went the right route. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t miss playing the field.

“I still have the mentality of an infielder,” admitted Tomlin. “I still love taking ground balls in the infield during BP. It’s probably my favorite thing in the world to do. But knowing how I hit… I swing a wet newspaper. I don’t think I really had a chance to make it to the big leagues as a position player.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Nice to see Asdrubal looking like a hitter again. Lindor on deck, but not yet.

Bauer on deck as well. But with Salazar looking better, so far there's no slot for him. Good problem to have.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Gotta be kidding !!! It's snowing! Snow mixed with rain! It's 36 degrees out ! Middle of May ! This is crazy ! Just got in to work and the mix just changed to all snow. Supposed to be in the upper 50's on Saturday, upper 60's on Sunday !!?!?!? Crazy !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Danny Salazar - S - Indians

Indians optioned RHP Danny Salazar to Triple-A Columbus.
Salazar entered the season with plenty of promise following last year's impressive rookie campaign, but this year his velocity has been down and he posted a 5.53 ERA over his first eight starts.

He'll get another chance at some point, but the Indians want him to work on things in the minors for now. The Tribe hasn't announced who will replace him in the rotation, but Trevor Bauer is an obvious candidate.

of COURSE Bauer just had his first poor outing of the season. 4 homers in the 5th inning, and none of the sluggers who hit them had homered previously this season.
Got it out of his system? He was due.

They kept on bouncing back last season and this is nearly the same group of 25, but this team just doesn't look very good. The defense is terrible. The starting pitching without Ubaldo and Kazmir and with Masterson in one of his down years and Salazar in the classic second year funk is unimpressive. The hitters are almost entirely the same people but they are awful. Yesterday's box score shows 4 in the starting lineup with averages under 200.

With nearly everything going wrong there's lots to be corrected. It can be done, but it won't be easy.
Assuming that Masterson reconnects with the good Justin and that Bauer comes through, we'd maybe fix the starting pitching; but we'll need some similar major steps forward in the others aspects of the game. Good luck!