Re: Cleveland Cavaliers

GREAT point about Hawes being a target of Houston rusty. He is a perfect stretch guy for them.

That is a no lose situation there. I love Hawes, great high post center with good passing ability. Sort of a more offensively minded Gasol. However, FAR less defensive minded.

Check this out though - Hawes may not be going anywhere.

Anderson Varejao - F/C - Cavaliers

Anderson Varejao received a cortisone injection in his back on Wednesday.

The Cavs appear to be concerned about Varejao's back, which has kept him out since Feb. 9, and likely prompted the team to trade for Spencer Hawes on Thursday. If Varejao's going to be injured for a while, Hawes will step right into a starting role for his new team.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

More on the Houston/Philly angle:

The hidden good news for us trade lovers is the fact that this deal put Philly $7.5 million under the salary cap floor. This means they HAVE to make more moves today to hit that floor. Watch out for a player like Omer Asik or one of the Laker bigs to possibly be a great fit financially for Philly. This should get interesting.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

The Los Angeles Clippers and Cleveland Cavaliers have held trade discussions involving Reggie Bullock for Tyler Zeller.

The Clippers have been looking for frontcourt depth behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Sources: Spencer Hawes to Cavs

In an effort to add depth to their front line as they chase a playoff spot, the Cleveland Cavaliers have traded for Philadelphia 76ers center Spencer Hawes, sources told ESPN.com, confirming multiple reports.

[+] EnlargeLakers/76ers
Howard Smith/USA TODAY Sports
Spencer Hawes has averaged 13.0 points and 8.5 rebounds in 53 starts for Philadelphia this season.
The 76ers have been trading for draft picks and prospects since last summer as part of a long-term rebuilding project, and this deal fits that mold. The Cavs sent the 76ers two second-round draft picks and backup forward Earl Clark, while Cleveland shipped backup center Henry Sims to Philadelphia to complete the deal.

Hawes, who is in the final year of a contract that pays him $6.6 million this season, averaged 13.0 points and 8.5 rebounds in 53 starts for the 76ers this season. The Cavs, who are three games out of the last playoff spot in the Eastern Conference after a six-game win streak, had been in talks to get another center for several days.

Anderson Varejao has been out with a back injury and received a cortisone shot Wednesday to help deal with the issue. Clark, whose $4.25 million contract next season is not guaranteed, averaged 5.2 points and 2.8 rebounds in 45 games and shot 38 percent from the field for the Cleveland, which signed him as a free agent in the offseason.

In January, the Cavs dealt a first-round pick and two second-rounders to acquire forward Luol Deng from the Chicago Bulls. The team is spending many of the extra picks it acquired over the past three years to attempt to upgrade and end a three-year playoff drought.

Sims, whose $915,000 contract for next season is also non-guaranteed, has averaged just 2.2 points and 2.8 rebounds in 20 games this season.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

More from Amico, who tweets that Cavs acting GM David Griffin was unwilling to give up a first-round pick and a player for Rockets big man Omer Asik. The Cavs went out and got Spencer Hawes instead.

Rusty says at least they tried for Asik, Barnes,Thompson, Bullock, and Dudley. Still time.

The Cavs sent the 76ers two second-round draft picks and backup forward Earl Clark, while Cleveland shipped backup center Henry Sims to Philadelphia to complete the deal.
Interesting way to say we traded Clark and Sims. It reads like there's a 3rd or 4th team involved: Cavs, 76ers, Cleveland and Philadelphia all were parties.