Re: General Discussion

At time of his trade to the Cardinals, Milwaukee paper posted:

Axford was a major reason the Brewers won the 2011 National League Central crown, posting a club-record 46 saves, including 43 in a row to end the season. But he suffered a midseason meltdown in 2012 and briefly lost the closer's job. When he got off to an even rockier start to this season, he again was removed as closer and was being used in low-leverage situations when traded.

With a $5 million salary in his first year of arbitration, the 30-year-old Axford almost certainly would not have been tendered a contract by the Brewers after the season because clubs are allowed to cut salaries by no more than 20%.

"I'm sure I was (a non-tender candidate)," said Axford, who was 6-7 with a 4.45 ERA in 62 games with the Brewers. "I don't know if (a lesser deal) could have happened or if anything like that could have happened, but I certainly appreciated my time in Milwaukee."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/topstori ... z2ngYPQ8U2
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

civ ollilavad wrote:Checking his career stats, I see Ripken hit .412 with an OPS of 1176 for his Tribe career. He should be in the Indians Hall of Fame.
Signed as a free agent in March, 1995. He had 17 ABs in 8 games for the Indians that year. Played the rest of the season in Buffalo, where he had 448 ABs in 130 games. Batted .292, with 56 RBIs.

The Carlos Santana experiment is off to a tough start. Two errors tonight and one in his second start giving him 3 errors in 3 games. He had no touches in his debut.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Axford attributed some of his early problems last season to pitching in the World Baseball Classic. He was throwing hard from the get-go and went through a "dead arm" period when his velocity dropped following the WBC. But after making some adjustments, Axford settled in and posted a 2.92 ERA in his final 71 appearances with the Brewers and Cardinals.
2.92 in 71 appearances is pretty convincing IMO. Good gamble.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

His April was pretty awful: 10 1/3 innings, 10 runs and 5 homeruns

But he had other rough patches: In May he walked 9 and allowed 17 hits in 13 innings for a WHIP of 2.00

In July and August he totaled 10 walks and 26 hits in 21 1/3 innings, including 4 homers.

He was pretty reliably awful on the road: 34 hits, 20 walks in 29 1/3 innings and ERA of 4.91.

We'll see what we get.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/ ... ohn-axford

Rafael Perez is available and pitching well in the Dominican.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller