Re: General Discussion

Trevor Bauer will start on Wednesday against the Phillies.
The Indians need a spot starter following Sunday's doubleheader. It will be a short stay for Bauer, but he'll be a permanent option for the rotation if Ubaldo Jimenez doesn't right the ship.

Source: Nick Camino on Twitter

Tribe acquires Carrera off waivers from Philadelphia

Outfielder spent parts of two seasons and 2013 Spring Training with Cleveland

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com | 5/2/2013 6:55 P.M. ET

CLEVELAND --

The Indians added a familiar face to their depth chart on Thursday, claiming outfielder Ezequiel Carrera off waivers from the Phillies.

Carrera spent parts of the past two seasons with Cleveland and was in camp with the club throughout Spring Training. The fleet-footed outfielder did not make the Opening Day roster, however, and was designated for assignment since he was out of Minor League options.

Philadelphia claimed Carrera off waivers on April 2.

In 13 games with the Phillies this season, the 25-year-old Carrera hit .077 (1-for-13) while serving a limited role. Last season, Carrera hit .272 with two homers, eight stolen bases, 11 extra-base hits, 11 RBIs and 20 runs scored in 48 games for the Indians.

After the Tribe optioned right-hander Trevor Bauer to Triple-A earlier on Thursday, the active roster was reduced to 24 players. For the time being, Cleveland will add Carrera to its active roster to provide some outfield depth.

Indians center fielder Michael Bourn (right index finger) remains on the 15-day disabled list and first baseman Nick Swisher -- a part-time right fielder -- has missed the past two games with a sore left shoulder.

In order to vacate a spot on the 40-man roster for Carrera, the Indians designated Triple-A Columbus first baseman Mike McDade for assignment.

McDade, who was acquired via waivers from the Blue Jays over the winter, impressed the Indians with a strong showing in Spring Training, but he got off to a slow start this season. In 21 games at Triple-A, McDade has hit .230 with no home runs, four doubles and seven RBIs for the Clippers.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Aviles and Raburn solid utility guys are a big step above all the guys we dragged into those positions, and it has been discussed, but here are 2 other additions that gave us better people: Reynolds basically taking Hafners spot. They can both hit for power but Reynolds can play 2 positions in the field. Also Gomes seems to be OK at the plate and outhits Marson. I realize he may be sent down when Marson is healthy, that is the Tribe's pattern but I am hoping............

Hafner has a history of hitting well in the early part of season. That and and the benefit of Yankee Stadium for left handers, was always likely to see a spike in his numbers.

I think his shoulder/s? will always need maintenance. I still expect a trip to the DL at some point.

Oddly enough I think Hafner would have thrived in the role Giambi currently has. He wouldn't be expected to play every day and that would help his shoulders.