Re: Cleveland Cavaliers

rusty2 wrote:http://www.stationcaster.com/player_ski ... &f=1004181

Brian Windhorst on the Cavs, Irving, Thompson, and the recent trade.

Windhorst calls Tristan Thompson's improvement the big revelation this year.
Since AV went down TT has been THE man for the Cavs front line, second best player on the team right now.

I was going to come here the other day and talk some shit to JayJay about it since he hated the TT pick so much but I blew it off.

But TT is already leaps and bounds better than that other guy everybody wanted (Jonas V.) and it looks like his upside is going to be much better. TT is just barely starting to get it and he's only going to keep improving. He still has a lot of areas he can improve in but it's like he knows exactly what he needs to do and he's just checking things off his list one by one, one priority at a time.

We got the 2 best players in that draft, hands down.

Cleveland Cavaliers finally get Marreese Speights: Cavaliers Insider

By Jodie Valade, The Plain Dealer
on January 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM, updated January 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Marreese Speights has known for a while that the Cavaliers like him. Coming out of Florida in 2008, the 6-foot-10 power forward spent several days in Cleveland working out for the Cavaliers before the draft. He had a good feeling. He liked how he fit in with the Cavaliers.

But Philadelphia picked Speights at No. 16, and the Cavaliers were left to choose J.J. Hickson at No. 18 in that draft.

Still, the Cavaliers have remained intrigued. Now, with the trade with Memphis officially final, the organization will get a chance to see Speights in a Cavaliers uniform.

Coach Byron Scott is hopeful that Speights can provide immediate relief for a thin frontcourt that lost center Anderson Varejao for the season earlier this week when a pulmonary embolism was discovered. In five seasons -- three with Philadelphia and two with Memphis -- Speights averages 7.4 points on 47 percent shooting, and 4.3 rebounds.

"He can flat-out shoot the ball for a big man," Scott said.

Speights said he's excited not only for a fresh start, but specifically to come to Cleveland.

"Cleveland's always been a team that wanted me and a team that I wanted to come to," he said.

In Memphis, Speights saw his playing time dwindle to the point of aggravation. In 2011-12, he started 54 of 60 games, averaging 22.4 minutes. This season, he had started two of 40 games, averaging only 14.5 minutes per game.

"It was kind of frustrating," Speights admitted.

Which is why Speights is ready to play immediately, even if he doesn't know the full Cavaliers playbook, yet.

"The league really is all the same plays with different names," Speights said. "I ran some of the Princeton offense in Philly three years ago, so I should be all right."

Carolina connection The other player obtained in the Memphis trade, Wayne Ellington, has a connection to the Cavaliers, too: Tyler Zeller. The two are North Carolina products, with Zeller's freshman year coming when Ellington was a junior.

Ellington flashed a broad grin when asked about his relationship with Zeller on Friday.

"It's great for him to be on my team again," he said. "He's come a long way. From seeing him come into college to now seeing him come into the pros."

All-Star Irving Kyrie Irving had about 24 hours to bask in the news that he was an All-Star when he admitted that earning a spot on the team has been a goal that he had trouble even admitting to himself.

"Earlier in the year, if you guys would have asked me if this was my goal, I would have said no," Irving said Friday. "But in the back of my mind, it was absolutely there."

No TV: The NBA announced that the Cavaliers-Orlando Magic game Feb. 23 no longer will be televised on NBA TV. The Milwaukee-Atlanta game replaces it.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: jvalade@plaind.com, 216-999-4654

Although the Cavaliers think highly of Speights and have wanted him for years, the forward is already drawing interest from other teams and could be moved before the February 21 trading deadline. Stein identifies Daniel Gibson and Omri Casspi as the other two Cleveland players most likely to be traded.

Mark Stein ESPN

He's pretty much Drew Gooden. Good length, he can knock down the face-up jumper, and dumb as a box of rocks.

I expect to see him packaged with Boobie for another pick and a salary.

If they do keep him he'll be useful with AV gone, and he brings a facet offensively we currently don't have on the roster with his ability to hit the jumper (which is something Zeller was supposed to do, hopefully he will at some point). Speights would actually complement TT fairly well if we couldn't move him. But not well enough to stop the tank.

Most Cavs fans disagree with me but I actually think that Speights is smarter then Gooden and Hickson put together. Watching him last night and tonight (another win) you see a guy that can actually play team defense and understands the game. Things that Hickson (too dumb) and Gooden (too drunk or high) never could do.

While it would be great to get another draft pick for someone the Cavs gave up nothing for. I would not be upset if they just kept him. Unfortunately that might ruin their tanking this season and he may be too expensive (Speights has a player option for next year not a team option) if he turns down his option for next year.

Not sure how much cap room the Cavs need to be able to keep everyone and sign LeBron (you know it is going to happen) after the 2014 season.

How about Kyrie tonight ? A 3 pointer with a second left to win.

Kid might be the best closer in the NBA right now.

I guess I really have no idea about how smart Speights is. My impression was from seeing him interviewed and he struck me as being pretty dim. Besides the fact that he couldn't stop playing with himself through the whole interview in full view of the camera.

But hey, maybe it's just a cultural thing.

ROFLO ! No I think you are probably correct and no one that ever listens to an interview with Speights is going to think that he is intelligent.

On the court though he does things like recognize defenses, offenses, and helps teammates way beyond his interview ability. Now, if he does not get playing time he does revert to his childish mentality which does equal his interview ability.

As to playing with his personal balls ! I find it refreshing that Mister Speights is comfortable with his own sexuality and body parts.

That is why I jokingly refer to him as " Master Speights". :shock:

Since it is flu season and only because it is flu season that I suggest that you do not shake hands with Master Speights. ;)

It is also the reason that his teammates are not upset when he shoots and does not pass them the ball(s). :mrgreen: