Re: General Discussion

kenm wrote:Rusty seems to be losing it. He now resorts to criticizing other's education. Maybe he needs to take a vacation from the forum for a while not unlike mike sopp. These Dolanites never change their stripes.

When did I criticize someone's education ? TFISC is the one that brings up Shapiro's Ivy league education as if we have not heard it a million times already.

Not sure who you think you are suggesting vacations, Sopp, or using the term Dolanite.

As to losing it. Someone needs to counter your constant whining.

Wow!

When they go looking for scapegoats, nobody is safe.

Radinsky was the poster boy for up-and-coming pitching coaches as he shot through the Tribe's minor league system.

It was believed he was the brains behind Belcher's supposed ability to fix pitchers.

He won't have any problem finding another job.

Probably volunteered to get the hell out of there.

CLEVELAND -- The Indians placed designated hitter Travis Hafner on the 15-day disabled list with lower back inflammation and recalled infielder Jason Donald from Triple-A Columbus on Thursday.

Hafner's placement on the DL is retroactive to Monday. He last played Sunday, when he hit a home run and tallied three RBIs in Cleveland's 10-8 loss to Detroit. He sat out all three of the Indians' contests against the Twins this past week and had an MRI on his lower back on Wednesday.

The 35-year-old's back first flared up during a July 31 game against Kansas City. Hafner went on paternity leave on Aug. 1, when he and his wife welcomed the birth of their son, Trip. He returned to the ballclub on Saturday, but he sat out that night's tilt with the Tigers because of back stiffness.

It's the second stint on the DL for Hafner this season. He was sidelined for nearly six weeks after undergoing right knee surgery on May 31. In 60 games this season, the Jamestown, N.D., native is batting .239 with 11 home runs and 32 RBIs.

Donald, who was on the club's Opening Day roster, has hit .188 (9-for-48) in 18 games for Cleveland. The utility player batted .277 with six homers and 31 RBIs in 65 contests for the Clippers.

HB, much of Shapiro's weakness in running the organization comes in two areas that are not as dependent on big money......drafting, and development.

If we talk about "The 4 D's".....Drafting, Development, Dealing, and Designating salaries....Shapiro's organization fails miserably on the first two. The two that are the most cost efficient ways to improve the organization.

I'll give Shapiro a passing grade on the deals that brought us Choo and Cabrera, and maybe again Santana. For those successes there are still the Matt Laporta type deals that bring his grade into disappointment.

As for Designating salaries, Shapiro is paying Grady Sizemore, Dan Wheeler, Johnny Damon, Kevin Slowey and the player formally known as Fausto Carmona about $11 million this season.

$ 11 frickin' million.

That's just very recent history.

I'll note that Fausto Carmona was signed under his alias in the year Terry Pluto today wrote that the reigns had largely been passed from Hart to Shapiro as Hart was prepping his exit.

I think we all were concerned when Travis Hafner capitulated and Shapiro "won" after the Hafner injury and signed the now legendary $57 million dollar contract.

Whatever.

If things work well tomorrow, we can go into the early August weekend just 8 games out.

Uncle Dennis wrote:Tribe fan in SC/Cali, I hearby request you change your name to SCCALIFLA, or Califlower whichever is easier! LOL

Hmmmm.....

I've resided in Chicago, as well. I also sometimes claim Texas, if over 500 nights in Dallas Marriott's count as living there.

Maybe I'll work something with a nod to Supercaliflagisticexpilidociousc.....though I think changing names here is not that easily done.....

:-)

TFinFla:

Well I wouldn't argue with you on this organizations ineptness in drafting and development. When you are cash strapped it just makes that area that much more important and we have sucked for quite a while. That is more on the scouting department, but I guess you could say Shapiro is the one who can't seem to hire the right people.