Re: Idle Chatter

joez wrote:I take it you don't need glasses any longer JR ?!?!?!?
As you know, I had cataract surgery on one eye, and the other one will be taken care of on Tuesday. I can see pretty well with my corrected eye b/c of the interocular lens. After the other eye is done, we'll find out how well I can see. I will definitely need reading glasses, and probably for distance, but the Rx will be nowhere near as strong as it has been lately.

Good luck JR! I was in the same position. I have two pair of glasses. The bifocal is the same on both. The uppers on one is for distance, the uppers on the second pair are for computering.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

KAYAK ADVENTURES - 40 MILES TO GO
GETTING READY TO LAUNCH

<
SCENERY SHOT #1

<

TAKING A BREAK

<
RIVER SCENERY #2

<
LOG JAM - PORTAGE TIME

<
RIVER NARROWING

<
RIVER GETTING SHALLOW APPROXIMATELY 20 MILES FROM CAMPGROUND - MORE PORTAGING

<
BACK IN BUSINESS AFTER A LENGTHY WALK DOWN STREAM

<
ANOTHER LOG JAM - ANOTHER PORTAGE

<
RIVER SCENERY #3S

<
RIVER SCENERY #4

<
RIVER SCENERY #5

<
FINAL LOG JAM STILL ABOUT 10 MILES FROM CAMPGROUND

<
MET THIS WHITE GOOSE ALONG THE WAY

<
TIME FOR A SNACK BREAK

<
THE END
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Nice, Joe. Looked like a real good time.

I went out with a buddy on his bass boat this evening to do a little fishing on the Missouri River. A dude came up along us on a kayak. After passing us I saw him stand up and go a while standing.

Damn. If I would try that I'd fall asshole over tincup in the river. I can barely keep my balance in that bass boat.

I don't think you would end up in the water Hillbilly.

That kayak was built for fishing. It's a hybrid. A cross between a kayak and a canoe. It has a dihedral hull (triangular shaped and a bit flat). It's made so that you can lean over quit a bit without tipping it. It's awesome for fishing. You can get into tight places where you just can't get to with a bass boat or by wading. Another nice plus, you can retrieve maybe 90% of the snags you would not ordinarily get to.
-- Bob Feller

Big difference in water levels, eh JR?? :lol: I think the water was just about up to the stairs.
-- Bob Feller

Speaking of water levels, the first girl in my life who invited me to put my hand in her bottom bathing suit........ I met at some "campground" between Akron and Youngstown.

I had passed "Red Cross Life Saving" that year, and was pretty certain I could care for her every need.

THAT year was when my Dad and Mom had the 24 foot trailer my Dad pulled with his Chevy pick up truck.....and took to campgrounds in between Akron and Youngstown.

She was a "seasonal" camper.

We get a weekly circular in the mail each week. Our little neighborhood grocery always has an inclusion mentioning the wine tasting scheduled for Saturday.

My speed reading let me down as I thought it read they were pouring "Indian wines" today.

Yesterday, my wife and I agreed we would not venture over for the tasting.

I was in the next door store today and decided to stop in to the tasting to get at least some ideas of what Indian Wine might taste like.

Turns out I was seriously off stride on the ad read, and it was actually Italian Wine.

Never a wine drinker until I moved way West, I have a serious California palate for wine, as does my wife. I usually find European wines to be more "earthy" than what I like for easy consuming preference.

One of the wines today was L'Aura.

From a town in Northern Italy.

I told the wine pour guy, "tell Laura I love her," and bought a bottle.

I then made a reference to Dr. Zhivago, and one of the ladies tasting gave me a "tip in"on the line.

I'm looking forward to The Browns tomorrow.

Tom Wilson Sr., the creator of beloved comics icon Ziggy, died Friday in a Cincinnati-area nursing home. He was 80.

Ziggy, which marked 40 years in syndication in June, has been produced by Wilson's son, Tom Wilson Jr. of Loveland, since 1987.

Wilson served as a creative director at Cleveland-based American Greetings for more than 35 years and led the team that developed such blockbuster characters as Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears. He first published Ziggy in the 1969 cartoon collection "When You're Not Around."

The Ziggy comic, syndicated by Universal Uclick (formerly Universal Press Syndicate), launched in 15 newspapers in June 1971 and now appears in more than 500 daily and Sunday newspapers. It also has been featured in best-selling books, calendars and greeting cards and the Emmy Award-winning special, "Ziggy's Gift," which was re-released on video in 2005.

"We are saddened at the passing of Tom Wilson, a visionary cartoonist and longtime friend," John McMeel, chairman and president of Andrews McMeel Universal, which owns Universal Uclick, said in a statement. "Tom leaves behind a wonderful legacy in Ziggy, a hard-luck comics page hero who serves as a reflection of Tom's endearing wit and optimism in the face of adversity. Our hearts are with the Wilson family during this time of loss."

In addition to his son, Tom Wilson is survived by his wife, Carol Wilson; daughters Ava (Mike) Stewart and Julianne (Bryan) Webb; and five grandchildren.

Visitation for family and friends will be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday at Weil Funeral Home, 8350 Cornell Road, Cincinnati, OH 45249. Memorial contributions may be sent to Ronald McDonald House, 350 Erkenbrecher Ave., Cincinnati OH 45229.

Bob Hope's widow died today at the ripe old age of 102.
-- Bob Feller