Re: GameTime!™

In case you missed it:

Luke Hochevar, Royals hand Indians costly setback

Scoring Summary
CLE KC
1st C Santana hit sacrifice fly to left, E Carrera scored. 1 0
1st J Francoeur doubled to deep right, M Cabrera and E Hosmer scored. 1 2
2nd A Gordon grounded into fielder's choice to second, S Perez scored, C Getz out at second. 1 3
5th B Butler doubled to deep right, A Gordon scored. 1 4
6th J Giavotella homered to left center (404 feet). 1 5
View complete Play-By-Play
Game Information
Stadium Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, MO
Attendance 27,126 (71.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity
Game Time 2:19
Weather 77 degrees, rain
Wind 5 mph
Umpires Home Plate - Mike Dimuro, First Base - Tim Welke, Second Base - Andy Fletcher, Third Base - Jim Reynolds
Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Luke Hochevar pitched eight innings of three-hit ball and the Kansas City Royals handed the Cleveland Indians a costly loss, 5-1 on Saturday night.

Hochevar (10-10) allowed an unearned run, struck out eight and walked one while throwing a career-high 117 pitches. The right-hander improved to 5-2 with a 3.51 ERA in 10 starts since the All-Star break.

The Indians lost ground in the AL Central, falling to 6 1-2 games back of first-place Detroit. The Tigers rallied for a dramatic 9-8 victory over the Chicago White Sox.

The start of the game was delayed 20 minutes by rain, and showers caused another 16-minute break in the second inning. But it was smooth sailing from there, at least for the Royals.

Jeff Francoeur hit a two-run double in the first inning to give Kansas City a 2-1 lead. It was Francoeur's 44th double of the season, tying the club record for an outfielder set by Jermaine Dye in 1999.
Alex Gordon added a run-scoring fielder's choice in the second, Billy Butler doubled in a run in the fifth and Johnny Giavotella capped the scoring with his second homer in the sixth.

David Huff (2-3) pitched six innings for Cleveland and was charged with four earned runs and six hits.
Hochevar's only mistake came in the first, when his errant throw on a pickoff attempt allowed Ezequiel Carrera to move from first to third. Carrera then scored on Carlos Santana's sacrifice fly.

Hochevar improved to 1-2 with a 5.31 ERA in three starts against Cleveland this season. Greg Holland worked the ninth to finish the three-hitter and even the weekend series at one game apiece.

Game notes

Chris Getz started at shortstop for Kansas City after Alcides Escobar sprained his left ankle on Friday. Royals manager Ned Yost said he doesn't anticipate Escobar being sidelined for long. To bolster their infield depth, the Royals recalled Yamaico Navarro from Triple-A Omaha. ... The Indians kept SS Asdrubal Cabrera (left knee contusion) out of the lineup, but manager Manny Acta expects him back for the final game of the weekend series. "I'm very confident he'll be able to play (Sunday)," Acta said. ... Indians OF Grady Sizemore, battling back from a right knee injury, was scheduled to play nine innings for Triple-A Columbus on Saturday. Acta hasn't ruled out the possibility that Sizemore could rejoin the Indians sometime next week.

4-0, us, bottom 3, BUT...

Matt Underwood:
Jack Hannahan limped off field in 3rd inng...UNBELIEVABLE - the injuries this team has sustained are mind numbing. Didn't see anything happen to Jack but he was def hobbling around the bases.

kenm wrote:Why arent we seeing the great hagadone. Wasnt he the key to the Victor trade or am I misremembering?
Not sure I'd call Hagadone a key part of trade even when it was made. He was still considered a starter when the Indians traded for him but, a few scouts thought he would end up in the bullpen and its looks like they were right.

Masterson on the other was considered a pretty good reliever at the time and. I don't think many people thought he would make it as a starter (myself included)

In general I don't think many people liked the trade initially.

NOTES: Santana turned his right ankle on second base after his double in the fourth. He hopped around and spiked his helmet in frustration, but remained in the game. … Hannahan left with a strained calf. He’ll be examined again Monday. … Cleveland stole two bases, one after Francis caught Donald between first and second base but Giavotella whiffed on applying the tag. … Kansas City heads out on a seven-game trip starting Monday at Oakland. Ubaldo Jimenez(notes) (2-1) will take the mound Monday afternoon for Cleveland against Detroit.

husker wrote:I'm getting a little chubby!

LOL!

I still try to fight my personal battle day to day with excess weight on my frame. Some days I win, and some I do not. But I still vow to fight every day. :-)

Big series coming up, of course.

But we've all watched enough baseball to know that miracles can happen regardless of the next three game outcomes.

Not ever for Cleveland teams to this point of my lifetime, but hey...we're due.