Re: GameTime!™

No JR! I'll still be on vacation.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Went to Tuesdays game. Just now got my laptop back. Biggest question is how the heck did we let Neil Wagner go for cash considerations? The guy was hitting 96/97 consistently for 2 games. Also regarding Fukadome, maybe the guy is hitting better NOT bieng the lead off guy. The Cubs number 8 & 9 batters were hardly on base for him to get any rbi opportunities. 3 out of 4. 2 out of 3 the rest of the way will put us over the top I think.

JR-

I'm going to a vendor sponsored golf outing tomorrow at Cog Hill, dinner and prizes follow.

Saturday, I have to work a charity event at the campground. I'm in charge of the plastic duck races. I'll be assisting at the auction. The event is for a very sick little girl. In fact, she was just back to the hospital earlier this week. Don't know if she'll make the auction or not.

Other than a possible kayaking/fishing trip on the Wisconsin River, we'll be staying at the campground.

I have to wash and wax the trailer one day next week as well as the RAV.

The weather is supposed to be gorgious next week. I'll probably take a couple of local trips on the river as well.

We'll stay through the following Sunday and I'll head straight to work Monday morning from the campground since its on the way home. We'll take two cars since I won't get out of the Lemont until late. Chris will leave around 3pm for the campground tomorrow from home.
Tubers floating down the river in front of the camper.
One of my catches, nice little small mouth featured on the campground website
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

One of my catches, nice little small mouth featured on the campground website

How did it taste? That's always the important question for me when I fish. I gave up recreational fishing with "catch and release" years ago. I'll still fish actively when I plan to serve and consume my catch which is not often these days.

Not sure how it happened but when I lived in South Carolina and most of my male friends were "good ol' Southern boys," I became the designated fish cleaner. I was shocked that most of them had never cleaned a fish. When I was about 9 my neighbor family head taught me how to clean catfish, blue gill and trout. He was born and raised in West Virginia, and taught me well. When I lived in South Florida and fished The Keys, Naples Bay and The Gulfstream on a somewhat frequent basis I perfected my techniques on king mackerel, grouper, red snapper, coral reef yellowtail, sheepshead and snook.

Now I'm getting hungry......

joe, we've been in Michigan all week fishing. Kind of hot for really good fishing but I did manage to catch a decent size large mouth and quite a few small northerns and one 30 some-inch northern. I know everyone talks about the one that got away but one really did, yesterday. Sonny thinks it was a monster northern. It had my pole bent all the way over and took off under the boat and snapped the line. The pole then proceeded to snap back and hit Sonny in the middle of his forehead. It was kind of funny after we knew he was OK. That could have been bad, though. That one did hurt my wrist.

Donnaj wrote:Boy, can we get off topic. We've been doing that, for what, 13 yrs? Lol

Oh, yes.....and going on 14 about now. My first visit with most of us here was September of 1997 when I found the Akron Beacon Journal forum.

I've only been fishing in Michigan once, and that was when I was 12 years old. My Dad rented a cabin with a loft in a cluster of cabins where Long Lake....north of Alpena...was fed by a stream through a dam.

I was going into 8th grade, and a sandy blonde girl in a cabin down the way had my undivided attention.

I pulled probably hundreds of fish out of that stream behind the dam in a sometimes futile "catch and release" plan. I'm pretty good with a knife and needle nosed pliers, but not always good at getting a hook out of a fish that swallowed one.

I also shore caught a few turtles, which I returned safely back to Northeastern Ohio for later release.

The rest of that story is that I never saw the girl again, though we had a great week....and as romantic as I suppose any couple can be when 12 or 13.

I also discovered, as I showed her a bullfrog that she also did not like spiders or snakes.....

:-)

Here's to good fishing!

I'm still a catch and release fisherman Cali. If I'm lake fishing on one of our Wisconsin vacations, I'll keep and clean for a Friday fish fry.

I have a lot of fish stories to tell Donna. You know! The ones that got away. LOL!

Well! For my birthday, I wished for a cheapie digital camera to document my catches {:>)--.

Last week, coming down the south branch of the Kishwaukee (out of DeKalb - one of the few rivers in the country that runs south to north), I floated under two bald eagles, one adult, one juvenile. I guess we scared each other. They took off and perched on a dead branch overhanging the water down river. I floated down not paddling so as not to scare them this time. I floated right under them. They couldn't have been more than fifteen or twenty feet above me. You could see every detail of their coat and heads. A Kodak moment and I missed it. The eagles more than the fish were the impetus behind my request for the camera.

I have a fishing kayak (its a hybrid, a cross between a kayak and a canoe with a triangular shaped "dyhedral hull"). I can't tell you how many fish I've lost when they make a run for it under the Kayak or make a dash into the rapids. I use a 6-8 pound test line and file down most of the barb on the hooks (better chance of them getting away when they make their leap for freedom). When they get into the currents, I have to set the drag as low as it goes and they still get away.
Well, I'm going to browse and finish posting for the week and then its off to the local driving range before heading to the golf course.
-- Bob Feller